Retesting at end of year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well as some of you may be aware of the only class I have had significant trouble with has been my histology class this past fall. I have to take a retest to determine if I pass it in the beginning of June. Obviously, I will work as hard as I can to pass this test and I sincerely think that I will pass it because I will have ~2 weeks to prepare for nothing but that test. However, in the event that I do not pass it, I will have to decide whether to take the class over the summer at a school in another state (my school does not offer summer classes) or take it next year. This is where the problems in making such a decision come in. I honestly do not want to spend my summer taking histology, but if I fail that retest I will have to lose a year because I will have to take that histology class again next year. This would entail taking a lighter courseload over the next two years. I have no idea how such a move would alter my ability to get my top-choice residency. I am at my state MD school and I am interested in doing Psychiatry/Neurology possibly as a combined program. The other negative I see to taking the course next year is that I will not be in all of the same classes as most of my classmates from this year. However, since we will all be going separate ways during rotations due to multiple teaching hospital sites, I guess that is not such a big deal. I am looking for any advice on this from anyone who either knows or might have some experience in this area. If you know of any good summer histology courses, please feel free to tell me about them. Also, any thoughts on this possible decision I may have to make would also be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I have an excellent research project set up for the summer as well which I would not be able to do if I took histology over the summer. Thank you all.

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much over how this will affect your chances for residency. To be honest your chances are now a little slim for things like neurosurg, ortho, optho, uro, and the rest of the surgical subspecialties.

Psychiatry/Neurology happens to be two of the least competitive programs. That doesn't mean it's not a good career choice, but just that it's not too popular and competition isn't as keen as in other areas.

Study your butt off for that retest and in the unlikely event you fail again, look for a way to take it at another med school. I would try to avoid repeating an entire year because it doesn't look so great on an application.

IF IT DOES HAPPEN, however, I wouldn't lose my mind. It happens to a ton of med students every year -- it has to, it's mathematical certainty -- and yet every year a ton of doctors graduate from med school.

W.