Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Rethinking Premed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by yadumbguid, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. yadumbguid

yadumbguid

Pre-Medical
    I am taking the MCAT soon and have been preparing for med school, but I don't know exactly where I want to specialize. My issue is where can I go with a strong interest in the research aspect of medicine. I am not sure what specialities involve lab work with an MD. If anyone can follow that please send some advice this way.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pluto101

pluto101

Pre-Medical
    Follow me, do the MD/PhD!

4. jqueb29

jqueb29 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you looked into MD/PhD programs? Also, if you don't want to go the MD/PhD route, you can just do MD and aim for medical genetics. One of our current lecturers did that and it seems like an awesome way to integrate patient care with lab research.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    You don't need a MD/PhD, just do a fellowship once you graduate. You don't need an MD to do clinical research either, but it helps to have one as a collaborator!

About the ads