Retina Fellowship Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retinaresearch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All

I would like some input on what matters to get a good retina fellowship

I am presently in a resdiency in the US. It is not a "big name program"
I am a Foreign medical graduate.

I have fair amount of research, I can get good letters (I think) and I have good OKAP scores. What else can I do or should do to make my application more competitive.

How much is being a FMG and also not coming from a high power program be a negative for me.

How much research matters ?
How important are OKAP scores ?

I really appreciate any input or advice

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All

I would like some input on what matters to get a good retina fellowship

I am presently in a resdiency in the US. It is not a "big name program"
I am a Foreign medical graduate.

I have fair amount of research, I can get good letters (I think) and I have good OKAP scores. What else can I do or should do to make my application more competitive.

How much is being a FMG and also not coming from a high power program be a negative for me.

How much research matters ?
How important are OKAP scores ?

I really appreciate any input or advice

Thanks

Being an FMG is a slight disadvantage in an of itself. But, as long as you can get licensed in whatever state your fellowship is in and the practice can bill for your services, then the disadvantage is minimal.

Research and rec letters matter a lot. OKAP scores are important and requested by only a small minority of fellowships.

If all else fails, Dr. Tiedeman and Conway at UVA have a 1 year surgical retina fellowship geared toward FMG physicians, there is also one in Canada that is similar in that respect.

If you don't mind, could you tell me what prior research/experience, mle scores you had when you applied for residency? I'm a FMG as well and planning to apply next year. Just want to know what my chances are.