Retinal Imaging, Optional or Non-optional

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoastOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any OD's tell me if they are doing retinal imaging screenings on every patient and charging them a fee for it....??? I have looked at many practices web sites and they all state that they offer optos or retinal imaging as an optional test. Why put the control in the patients hands? Why not do it on everybody and charge ?????

Members don't see this ad.

The optos photos are not covered by insurance if they are just being used in a comp exam as an alternative to dilation. Some patients don't want to shell out the $35 for a photo when dilation is covered.

The fact that we can actually look to see what's happening WITHOUT taking a fundus photo makes it optional. I could see making it required if this was the only way we could see retina, but it just isn't.

I always thought of them as "x-rays" for the eye but it really isn't. You can't see bone, but u can see the retina.

All we can do is encourage patients to get it.. just for better charting and for them to get a visual. Not medically necessary for the general patient base, is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have done VF screenings on patients for years, left it as an option at first. One day a older gentleman came in and after filling out the paper work said "why would you let me decide what tests I need?" I have always thought about that, and feel it is important that we do the best exam that technology can provide us. Since then, I have always done VF screenings on all my patients. I am proud to say that I have referred close to 20 patients to neurologists for various reasons and lesions.

So, we have retinal imaging, a great way to document and view retinal health. Why do we leave this up to the patient?? Why make it optional with an added screening fee? Why not do it on everybody with an added screening fee????

Interesting and true...
but VF tests something we can't look for objectively. So yes, those 20 referrals could have been missed without getting it done. But is it the same for a photo?

I suppose I would give a lot of thought into taking it out of the paper work altogether and discussing the pros of having the photos done (with a fundus photo on the wall to show what it looks like). Usually you can talk your patients into getting it done. Not so much on a "Check if you accept" or "check if you decline" sort of thing.

I have done VF screenings on patients for years, left it as an option at first. One day a older gentleman came in and after filling out the paper work said "why would you let me decide what tests I need?" I have always thought about that, and feel it is important that we do the best exam that technology can provide us. Since then, I have always done VF screenings on all my patients. I am proud to say that I have referred close to 20 patients to neurologists for various reasons and lesions.

So, we have retinal imaging, a great way to document and view retinal health. Why do we leave this up to the patient?? Why make it optional with an added screening fee? Why not do it on everybody with an added screening fee????

Are patients aware of the additional fee of this? If so, can they refuse without penalty? If not, why not?

As a patient, I might be a little miffed at having this done without informing me of the added cost and giving me the chance to refuse - especially as many insurance plans don't cover it.