Retired Dentist LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electron

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering when schools ask for LOR's from dentists, would it still be just as valid if the Doctor is retired but is still active in volunteering at different dental organizations? What do you guys think of retired Dr. LOR's?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently volunteer at a Dental Clinic for people who can not afford Dental Care. Dentists volunteer there and do free work for low income people and the homeless. I work with this doctor from time to time when I volunteer but he is a retired dentist that is still practicing at the clinic. Would his LOR still be valid as a LOR from a dds/dmd?

The LOR isn't about the dentist, it's about you. Whether they are retired or not shouldn't even come up in the LOR. The LOR should read more in the direction of -

"I've practiced dentistry for over 55 years and I have never, ever seen a more talented and gifted predental student. This person will not only make your dental school a better place but make the entire class of students better people and stronger dentists. You are lucky to have the opportunity to send a letter of acceptance before Dec 1 and snap this predent up before someone else does. Please call me personally if any of the above requires clarification.

//Signed//
A. Dentist, DDS
ADA Emeritus, United Nations Staff Dentist, Nobel Laureate (Medicine)"

Doesn't matter if the dentist is retired...just as valid.

reapply2007 said:
The LOR isn't about the dentist, it's about you. Whether they are retired or not shouldn't even come up in the LOR.

Hmmm, sort of. The overarching concept is that the dentist should be practicing in some manner, or else they probably have never had the opportunity to work with you.

In other words, if a dentist is retired from private practice but has worked with you in a volunteer clinic, then they can write a good letter.

If a dentist is retired and lives down the street from you and hasn't ever seen you in a dental environment, that would be a poor letter.

So while it doesn't matter if they are retired or not, the context where they have worked with you (which IS directly related to their being retired or not) is important.

thanks for all your guyses responses and input!

you have all been a great help

ItsGavinC said:
Hmmm, sort of. The overarching concept is that the dentist should be practicing in some manner, or else they probably have never had the opportunity to work with you.

In other words, if a dentist is retired from private practice but has worked with you in a volunteer clinic, then they can write a good letter.

If a dentist is retired and lives down the street from you and hasn't ever seen you in a dental environment, that would be a poor letter.

So while it doesn't matter if they are retired or not, the context where they have worked with you (which IS directly related to their being retired or not) is important.

yes I agree, as long as you worked with him at a clinic it would be fine.

Once a dentist always a dentist. The letter from a dentist is character reference from someone who knows the world of dentistry and becuause they also know you as a person the can make a judgement as to how you would perform in that dental world. Just because he has not worked with you in a dental environment does not make the letter any less valid. After all how much work do many pre-dents do when they shadow or volunteer for the 40 recomended hours....nada. They stand around and attempt to look interested even though they are bored out of the minds. They only red flag or question an admin may ask is why no letter from the dentist you shadowed. Did they not like you? You can always submit two letters.

My undergrad health professions office will not forward a LOR from a dentist that only knows you personally (personal dentist, neighbor, family friend). You have to have shadowed or worked for them in a dental office. They say that character references are NOT what schools are looking for and that they want to see some kind of dental experience in the letter. That's just my HPO.