Retirement accounts.

Started by NTF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm down 37%, but not worried - the whole point of long term investments is that you can ride out these waves. We get more stock for our contributions right now which is awesome. 🙂
 
I have a few out there and my rate(s) of return varied from anywhere between -27 to -38...it wasn't pretty..
 
Here's a nontrad issue.

Anyone make the mistake of looking at their retirement accounts lately?

I did.

I wish I hadn't.


I diversified a long time ago so my losses were minimal. The market has been inflated for about 3 years now. I got out for the most part a year ago. People told me that it was a mistake to get out but I just didn't think that the market would stay at the 14,000 level for very long. I have about 10% of my retirement in blue chips and took a bit of a loss but I still plan on not having to use retirement for another 20 to 25 years (I am over 50). I am staying put at this point but my hit was minimal and my income is getting up to speed this year after being below $100,000K for my four years of medical school, seven years of residency and one of fellowship. I have minimal student loans (under $30K) so I am fine.
 
My husband works for one of those big banks that's been in the headlines lately. He gets a lot of his pay in stock which he's not allowed to sell. That stock was worth $50 a share last year, but today it's around $5. Our losses on that stock are equivalent to about a year's pay. (Thank God we weren't counting on it in our savings plan.)
 
three years ago I dumped about 70% of my stock to pay tuition and living expenses while I was doing my post-bacc program. Somewhat jokingly I told people that I decided education was a better place to invest. Now it looks like the right decision!

I kept the retirement accounts which have obviously done terribly, but things could be much much worse.
 
Here's a nontrad issue.

Anyone make the mistake of looking at their retirement accounts lately?

I did.

I wish I hadn't.

When I left my federal job I rolled over all I had in there into an IRA (granted, I only worked for one year before figuring out I'd rather go to med school)...but no, I haven't looked at that lately 🙂
 
Down 33%.😱

But not to worry, the government is involved now so you know it will rebound.👎

No plans on retiring soon, so no worries.