Returning Applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNM-TX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Returning Applicant.
Graduating May 16th 2014.
Hopefully CGPA = 3.91
Hopefully SGPA = 3.87
First MCAT 2012 28 = (8/10/10)
Second MCAT 2013 27 = (8/9/10)
Last time did not get any interview. Applied to TMDSAS late September.
Others Late October.
Do have good EC/Research/Shadowing/LR.
I am really worried about the MCAT score of 27. It went down from 28 to 27. Planning to retake on June 13th. TMDSAS application ready to submit but saying its not going to be complete till they get my Spring Grades which is my final grade. I will get my final grade on May 16th.
I did re-write my PS and modified other optional essays. Also Shadowed a DO. Got accepted at Caribbean. Need to deposit 1k by May 15th at Caribbean. Applied at SMP at TCOM. Did not hear from them yet.
Pls give some realistic suggestion.
Will that 27 hurt me a lot as it went down.
Do I just accept the Caribbean and forget about here.
I am targeting DO schools mainly and some low tier MD.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're targeting DO schools, I don't think you should retake the MCAT. Texas MD is probably going to require a balanced 30/31.

Don't retake the MCAT. There is no statistical difference between a 27 and a 28, so you essentially have two identical scores. A third identical score will do nothing to help your cause.

Don't do an SMP. With a 3.9 GPA, really, what possible good do you think an SMP could do for you?

Don't go to the Caribbean. It's a risky prospect for anyone, but especially for someone like you who isn't a stellar standardized test taker. You're much better off waiting a year and attending an American school, whether MD or DO.

My advice: Apply early and broadly in *June* to your state schools in TX as well as to a good mix of OOS DO schools. Make sure you get the DO you shadowed to write you a LOR as some DO schools require this.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
100% agree with my learned colleague. You can do vastly better than Carib diploma mills. You have likely reached your ceiling with MCAT and it's not going to magically improve. Your GPA is outstanding; no need for post-bac or SMP. The GPA is NOT your problem!

I don't MD is in the cards. Apply broadly to DO programs and you'll be fine.

Don't retake the MCAT. There is no statistical difference between a 27 and a 28, so you essentially have two identical scores. A third identical score will do nothing to help your cause.

Don't do an SMP. With a 3.9 GPA, really, what possible good do you think an SMP could do for you?

Don't go to the Caribbean. It's a risky prospect for anyone, but especially for someone like you who isn't a stellar standardized test taker. You're much better off waiting a year and attending an American school, whether MD or DO.

My advice: Apply early and broadly in *June* to your state schools in TX as well as to a good mix of OOS DO schools. Make sure you get the DO you shadowed to write you a LOR as some DO schools require this.

Best of luck.