Returning Student needs advice

Started by Anders
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anders

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a returning student who has been working in business for the past 5 years. I moved to NH because my wife entered her medical residency at Dartmouth. I was unsatisfied with my job and had always considered MD or PsyD. I found a PsyD program (Antioch NE) that is APA accredited and near my home. It is the only program within 1 1/2 hours from us. I am sort of stuck geographically. I like the people and the program and feel it would serve my needs. My undergrad grads are mediocre except in my major psych, but my work experience was very strong. I have checked its reputation with an established local psychologist and he says they are well regarded. I checked it with all the books and nothing negative pops up. Except they have no stated GRE cut-off.

Here is the problem. I scored very high on the GRE. Last year Antioch was ranked 123rd, and now it is not on the top 130. Am I selling myself short? Or does it really matter that much? Are people going to be judging me heavily by my doctoral program when I am out in the workforce?
This is a real serious concern to me. Please advise.
 
I would not worry about the school all that much. I know that I may get flammed for this, but my brother is a PhD from a great program in clinical psych and my father in-law is also a PhD from a top 10 program and my good friend is a prof. at another highly regarded PhD clicical psych program and I have had this same conversation with them and many others. Some of the professional schools have a bad name for over accepting students and not have a great faculty to student ratio. I have been told that more importantly it is how much you apply yoursef and get into your practicum and supervision. You need to take advantage of every practicum and supervision opportunity. I think that you will be fine at your program just totally commit yourself to your training and when you are done no one will question or care where you did your schooling. I know great therapists from top programs and great therapists from unranked professional schools and it has more to do with their individual determination and personalities. As far as job opportunities and income goes the therapist I know from the professional school actually makes more than the therapist I know from the "top 10" program. I am not saying that salary is important the overall factor in success. So go for it! You will do great!
 
Anders said:
I am a returning student who has been working in business for the past 5 years. I moved to NH because my wife entered her medical residency at Dartmouth. I was unsatisfied with my job and had always considered MD or PsyD. I found a PsyD program (Antioch NE) that is APA accredited and near my home. It is the only program within 1 1/2 hours from us. I am sort of stuck geographically. I like the people and the program and feel it would serve my needs. My undergrad grads are mediocre except in my major psych, but my work experience was very strong. I have checked its reputation with an established local psychologist and he says they are well regarded. I checked it with all the books and nothing negative pops up. Except they have no stated GRE cut-off.

Here is the problem. I scored very high on the GRE. Last year Antioch was ranked 123rd, and now it is not on the top 130. Am I selling myself short? Or does it really matter that much? Are people going to be judging me heavily by my doctoral program when I am out in the workforce?
This is a real serious concern to me. Please advise.

Depends on what you want to do. PsyD programs are typically not very strong in research and it may make it more difficult to land an academic job. If you want a career in research, pursue the PhD. It'll serve you well. PsyD is good if you want more of a clinical career. However, with Master's level therapists pouring into the ranks (many clinical positions are open to EITHER PhD/PsyD or MSW/Master's leve therapists), carefully evaluate your decision to pursue lengthy doctoral training in this area. Salaries are also on the low end -- average is $50K/year, insurance companies are saturated with psychologists, and the future of the profession is uncertain.

Have you considered the track your wife is on? MD/DO + residency training in psychiatry will prepare you to become a comprehensive healthcare provider, with the ability to prescribe meds, do psychotherapy, and earn a better living (minimum of $100K/year after residency). You may need to complete a post-bacc and take the MCAT, of course.

Good luck!