Returning to Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David513

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

If I want to go back to undergrad to study science and fulfill my prerequisites for applying to medical school, what is the best way of doing that? I graduated (fairly) recently from undergrad and have a business degree, but I'm thinking more and more that business may not be right for me. As of now, I have no science classes on my college transcript, so I would need to take Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Biology...etc.

I've heard this forum is particularly welcoming and helpful so I'm hoping you guys can start me on my journey!

Thanks in advance.

David

Members don't see this ad.

You probably don't need to go back to undergrad as such. There are several postbac programs that cater to people in just your shoes. Check out the "career changer" programs here http://services.aamc.org/postbac/. Depending on the program, you ought to be able to finish everything in from one full calendar year to two academic years. Alternately, you could find a university that will let you take classes independently, and just do it all yourself. As a baseline, you'll need two semesters each of chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and biology, all with labs. Many med schools will also want biochemistry, some math, and possibly a few other odds and ends.

Wow, that's amazingly helpful! Thank you. I sincerely appreciate it.

If you or anyone else has something to add please do.

Much obliged.

David

I would discourage a formal program since they cost an arm and a leg and usually force you into their schedule. Sign up for a few classes as an extension student or as a second bachelors student.