Review of DPT Programs

Started by runner618
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

runner618

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I am looking to apply to DPT programs next year, and am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of schools! I have lived in the same state my whole life in the midwest, and am ready to finally move out of state. Visiting campuses won't be an option for me unless I am accepted and get an interview, so I was looking for other people's opinions on their DPT programs, or ones that you have interviewed at. What you liked, didn't like, etc. I would greatly appreciate your opinions!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep in mind it's less expensive because taxpayers are keeping the tuition down. If you have no philosophical objections to that, then go to a state school and save $30-50k on tuition.

Kevin
 
Think about what's really important to you. When I interviewed last year at a school with a larger class size I realized that just wouldn't be a good fit for me. So, this year when looking at where to apply class size was the first thing I looked at. Then at tuition and then at the length and number of clinicals. I know it can be overwhelming and there's a fear you won't pick the right schools but if you do some self-reflection and really think about how and why you thrive in certain situations I'm sure you'll find a good fit.
 
I forgot I even wrote that. State schools are subsidized and don't reflect the true cost of going to school. Your tuition is cheaper there because someone else (taxpayer) is paying for it.
 
I forgot I even wrote that. State schools are subsidized and don't reflect the true cost of going to school. Your tuition is cheaper there because someone else (taxpayer) is paying for it.
Most private DPT programs cost around 80k total. I'd like to know how many DPT students are paying their own way through that. You shouldn't need rich parents to become a physical therapist.
 
I am a taxpayer in my state and will be for my entire life. I have no "philosophical objection" to going to a state school. No offense, but that is kind of a silly thing to say. Private schools have other sources of funding besides student tuition too.
 
I know a few people who's parents are paying for their DPT degree, but that's few and far between. 99% of people are taking out loans to finance tuition and living. I'm looking at around 130k after all is said and done. Idk where you got 80k from, but in my experience so far that's way on the low side for private schools.
 
I know a few people who's parents are paying for their DPT degree, but that's few and far between. 99% of people are taking out loans to finance tuition and living. I'm looking at around 130k after all is said and done. Idk where you got 80k from, but in my experience so far that's way on the low side for private schools.

My student loans currently total $73k. That's a private, small school.
 
Well then your tuition wasn't the average 30k/year for what 90% of people pay for a private school now then, were they?
 
Unless you lived at home and have living expenses paid for, as i failed to mention above. Idk where you're located, but south florida isn't cheap either.
 
Well then your tuition wasn't the average 30k/year for what 90% of people pay for a private school now then, were they?
Just saying it's possible... FWIW undergrad tuition is 15k a semester (which would be 30k a year), so the DPT program was cheaper than getting a bachelor degree.

But, yes, definitely not the norm.
 
I went to Regis. I loved it.

I would recommend doing some research. Apply broadly to different programs based on that research (geographic location, class size, tuition...blah blah blah). Only apply to schools that you would be happy to attend.

Once you get acceptances, then think about choosing where you want to go. There is no point trying to decide on a school before you get in. First they pick you, then you pick them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Living in America makes that argument a little ridiculous. I understand it's expensive, but there are plenty of ways to keep costs down. Join the military, then it would be free. Research and call schools because I guarantee you some school's out-of-state tuition is cheaper than 80k. You may qualify for in-state after the first year too. Some schools offer GA positions. Some schools offer scholarships. Do some research, and think hard about those economics.
 
Also, sticker price for private universities isn't always accurate - they are more willing to offer scholarships and financial aid (not loans) than public universities in my experience.
 
I'd love to know what branch of the military will pay for PT school aside from Baylor without the GI bill from previous enlistment.
 
The military comment makes me chuckle. I have the GI Bill and initially was still looking at 80k in student loans to attend a private school (the GI Bill covers less than half of the school's tuition).
 
I'd love to know what branch of the military will pay for PT school aside from Baylor without the GI bill from previous enlistment.

Unless you're already in the military (and even then it would be incredibly difficult), there aren't any branches that will just pay for your way. Unless you go to Baylor, which is EXTREMELY difficult to get into, but well worth the struggle. But you already know about them. I've researched it to death and spoken to health care recruiters, but if you hear about anything, post it! 🙂
 
jdaniels360- Yes, you would have to enlist, or become an officer and serve at least 3 or 4 years active duty to qualify for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Reserves and National Guard are different. You would then be eligible for other veteran's scholarships when you got out. Plus, you would be able to save up a pile of money while you are in. Especially if you deploy.

Starrsgirl- You may be talking about the Montgomery GI bill which doesn't pay nearly as much as the Post 9/11. The post 9/11 GI bill will pay all of your in-state tuition if it's a public university. If it's a private school they'll pay around $20,000/year I think. They pay the school directly. There's also a program called the Yellow Ribbon which will help you pay the higher tuition at a private school. You also receive a monthly housing allowance of about $1200-1500 depending on where you live. You would also receive $1000/year for books. The Montgomery GI bill simply sends you a monthly check of about $1400.
 
Yes, I do have the post 9/11. You are correct, it only pays $20k a year for a private school. That's well below a lot of private school tuition (my first choice school was $50k/year). While it's true the Yellow Ribbon program does exist, for many schools that's for undergraduate work only (as in my schools case). So simply researching if a school had yellow ribbon isn't enough...you must check the specific program too. So yes, even with military help I was looking at 80k in debt just to cover tuition alone. I just want to make sure people have the full picture of these scholarships.
 
SBanks: "If you pay $80k+ for tuition then you chose the wrong school."

There are lots of schools that charge more than this, well regarded programs like NYU and Creighton, as well as lesser known programs. The fact is that most people who are applying aren't able to choose from lengthy list of acceptances. It's this supply and demand situation that has made the programs so expensive. But the increased cost is preventing many people from entering the field who would be good candidates.
 
Last edited:
I am a taxpayer in my state and will be for my entire life. I have no "philosophical objection" to going to a state school. No offense, but that is kind of a silly thing to say. Private schools have other sources of funding besides student tuition too.
I didn't accuse you of having a philosophical objection to state schools. I'm just amazed that there are people out there who do. Do they also have philosophical objections to using our roads, energy grid, and utilities like water?
 
Last edited:
If someone wants to go to a private school and pay more tuition, let them. It doesn't affect any of us and the amount of loans we have to take out to pay for our state school education. People get too worked up about things don't don't directly involve them
 
If someone wants to go to a private school and pay more tuition, let them. It doesn't affect any of us and the amount of loans we have to take out to pay for our state school education. People get too worked up about things don't don't directly involve them

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but yes it does affect us. It drives costs up even further.