revised poll for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you cheat on an online exam that counts >40% if you could take it at home?

• YES, I would cheat on an online exam taken at home

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • NO, I would not cheat on an online exam taken at home

Votes: 49 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doctorTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you would cheat on exams if allowed to take them online from your homes on your "Honor". These exams would count anywhere from 40-80% of your course grade. (in this case cheating includes looking at your class notes or text books during a take-home online exam given the professor prohibited the use of those materials?)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you're looking for validation to cheat... you know it's unethical, unprofessional, mean, and just dumb. Study hard, do your best, and if the worst happens, remediate. You'll be a doctor if you just work hard. If you start doing this nonsense you may get through medical school but you'll be kicked out of your residency if you don't know anything and become a big enough liability. Just don't cheat.

doctorTT said:
I was wondering how many of you would cheat on exams if allowed to take them online from your homes on your "Honor". These exams would count anywhere from 40-80% of your course grade. (in this case cheating includes looking at your class notes or text books during a take-home online exam given the professor prohibited the use of those materials?)
Aside from the fact that cheating is always wrong, aren't you timed anyway? I would assume that you get something like one minute per question, so opening up notes and books and using your time looking for answers might actually end up hurting you, should you not finish in the end. Best advice: know your stuff cold. This kind of discipline can only help in the long run, instead of constantly looking for loopholes of getting something done the easy way.

Members don't see this ad :)
A doctor (or soon to be doctor) should have enough integrity not to cheat.

learnmed said:
A doctor (or soon to be doctor) should have enough integrity not to cheat.

yeah right. I wouldn't cheat but you're naive if you think there aren't plenty of people who would.

I know people would cheat. I'm surprised that the school is letting you take home an exam. (I've never ever had one of those before) -- The closest is an open book exam... and those are harder than normal ones. (I swear they are)

Many people finish these exams with an hour to spare, so having time to look up answers is not unfathomable.
Personally, I don't plan on cheating on these exams but i suspect many medical students would, given the opportunity and no risk of getting caught.

Take home exams are like, asking for trouble. How can you expect people to not fall to temptation? I wouldn't cheat but then it would be hard not to. You might feel like an idiot if you didn't, since you might not do as well as those who did, etc.

I say give us the sit down exam or else have us do something like an pbl project or whatever at home.

Generally, medical students are very competitive and as such, know that more than a handful of students are cheating on online exams. This forces those who may know the information to be forced to look up a few answers here and there. Sadly, any administration that gives online exams should realize that most medical students aren't really going to follow the honor code as they would like to believe. I once heard of a few students who got 100's on an online exam while one kid who had the integrity of not cheating ended up with a low 70. Needless to say, online exams were shut down following that semester.