Revising my PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modemduck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many times did you guys revise your personal statement?
I am on my nth revision (where n=toomanytimestocount) and I still feel shaky about it.

Also, how can you become a better writer in general?? Maybe Tony C. can answer that one.

late,
modemduck

Members don't see this ad.

I think I have over-revised mine. I have read it so many times that it just looks like jiberrish to me now. Every time I revise it more, it seems that it actually gets worse! I kid you not! I just looked at an earlier revision and I liked it better than my current one, so I am starting again with that one. :mad:

My advice would be to just leave it after being very confident with the draft you're on. Over-revision can be very detrimental; at the same time, several drafts are necessary and productive. It's not necessarily the # of drafts, but leave some Time in between each revision-- at least a couple of days to clear your head and read it as if you've never seen it before. If you can read it without being bored to tears or without it sounding like, "a very special (and sickly mushy) episode of Blossom," it should work out ok. Also, don't forget to get others to read it as well for different perspectives. Make sure they are people who will be honest and critical of it. Of course, all this advice comes from a fellow premed who is also applying for the 1st time this year, so take it with a grain of salt because I haven't had much experience with it. Jamier2, Tony C., and JD* would probably be of great help in this area. Good luck!

each person has his/her own style and way of writing. the previous post says it well, don't over-revise and always take time between drafts. if you see something too often, you won't be able to pay attention to the little details. i'm a first time applicant too. i did a first draft of the essay for my advisor in December. Since then i've revised about 5 times drastically, and numerous times for minor points. i didn't have anyone read it after the inital draft though. mostly because it's personal stuff, and in the end, it is your decision what you feel is appropriate in the essay. i've a lot of experience in writing and editing. some people will only edit for grammar. others for content, and others for how it makes them feel. each person who reads it will likely feel differently about its various qualities. lastly, i would recommend not stressing about the essay. it needs to be a well-written, honest, piece of information that presents your individual voice. if it is, it won't be a deal-breaker. i also would not consider it a deal-maker, it is one piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for your comments mdhopeful & praying4md. I have revised it once more and I feel somewhat confident about it. However, to have the PS and Practice Vision become synergestic is the next task. ugh

I am thinking about using an online editing service to perfect it. I mean if I dropped $1000 on kaplan and $600 on the AMCAS and so much more on school + books... don't you think it is worth the couple hundred bucks to be assured a solid essay? Have you heard any comments about the service EssayEdge.com ?

Unfortunately, if I spend this cash it = waiting to buy basketball shoes for another 3 months ugh... :confused: