revision of personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressluver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My sister asked me to post her personal statement on the forum. For those of you who are interested in editing to take a look at it and put your two cents in. Please feel free to make revisions in a different color in your replies or just reply with feedback of what is missing or what needs to be removed. Thanks. :)

Personal Statement

I, like most people, have always desired to affect the world in a positive way, leaving a (footprint???) of my doings for future generations. When taking stock of my intellectual proclivities and personality strengths, I came to the conclusions that a career as a scientific researcher would be a good vehicle by which to make my positive effect. I fantasized that one day I would be an expert in my field and be invited to give lectures worldwide. When I began my Masters program in the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, I thought that I was well on my way towards my dream career.
However, upon the commencing my studies in the medical school, I discovered several previously unrealized aspects of myself. One was that I enjoyed hard work and loved being challenged. I also enjoyed the camaraderie with my peers as we all put our best efforts into our classes. Also, in addition to the other medical school courses I took, I had a penchant for Medical Gross Anatomy, helping to teach it the summer after I completed it, and again to dental students in the second year of my program. After completing the course requirements for my program, I began to work towards completion of my Masters thesis by working in a laboratory. This experience also yielded several realizations. The first was that I did not enjoy laboratory experimentation as much as I had enjoyed my medical school courses. The second one was that I needed a career in which I would interact with people on a daily basis, and laboratory work, in most cases, yields limited personal contact. My career also had to be one that would always challenge me.
These two separate experiences prompted me to re-evaluate my plans to become a scientific researcher. I began to venture outside the laboratory to discover if patient care was really the career avenue I should be taking. I began my introspective search by volunteering in an emergency department. On my first night, I observed a patient who had gotten a deep cut in one of his fingers. I looked at the finger, and the Back and Limbs section of Medical Gross Anatomy came flooding into my mind. I understood the ER doctors’ discussion of the case and was delighted to see that I was able to apply the knowledge I obtained from my medical school courses.
This ER experience sparked intellectual excitement; however, I felt that in order to be able to commit my life to a career as a physician, I needed an emotional connection as well. Therefore, I decided to volunteer as a research assistant for the OGL study, the Obesity, Genetics, and Lifestyle Study. This would afford me more direct patient contact, as I would be responsible for each patient’s completion of the study tasks. The most significant experience I had while working in this study was with a man that weighed over 400 pounds. In order to perform a specific physical test, it was necessary for him to remove his shoes and sit on the bed. He did this and found that he needed to lie down to make himself more comfortable. After I performed the test, he attempted to get up and put on his shoe. I saw that he was having difficulty, so told him he could just lay back and relax while I put his shoe on. He seemed embarrassed by this. I put his shoe on quickly but gently, and made a joke to break the tension. I saw that he then trusted me and appreciated my help. By sensitively helping him with this small task that he could not do himself and showing him my care for his feelings, I felt I had won his trust. This was a wonderful feeling.
This was the experience that sparked me emotionally. I realized that I could leave my coveted indelible mark on the world; not through speaking appointments at institutions worldwide, but by impacting people daily by helping them in their time of need. I found that the way I most wanted to apply my knowledge was not by running experiments in a laboratory, but by suturing a cut finger or bringing someone out of a trauma.
As I volunteered and shadowed more emergency room physicians and different surgeons, I realized that teamwork was an essential part of their daily activities. Many of them also said that an aspect of their work they loved was that they were constantly challenged, and that their work never became monotonous. Discovering that I shared the personality trait (of needing challenge???) with many physicians pleased me. The more I spoke with them and observed their daily activities, the more I realized that this was the type of life I wanted to lead.

Members don't see this ad.

In my honest opinion, it's a good essay, but doesn't set her apart from the application pool...sounds like the typical pre-med P.S.

lots of big words.....then again, i suck at english....

Members don't see this ad :)
This essay sucks. It is so boring and run-of-the-mill that I stopped internalizing anything I read after the first paragraph. Maybe the title should be: "Why am I the Typical, Boring Pre-med?"

Tell me something interesting...something human...something dramatic. Scrap this one completely.

I just got accepted to 2 medical schools and I think my essay set me apart...

This statement has a lot of good ideas, but it is not very telling of the true person. It reads like a resume with lots of stories of other people and needs more depth about the applicant. Much of this statement should be cut. For example, most of the first 2 paragraphs when you go on and on about the classes. It is confusing that you mention medical classes. Sorry to sound a little harsh, but I am just being honest. I had friends who were honest with me about my statement when I applied and sometimes it really ticked me off, but I am glad in the long run. I would suggest getting a good writer to spend some time with you because it has potential but it is still far away.

Good Luck

tell her not to use the thesaurus...you can tell the awkwardness with the big words, it feels like they're just thrown in there...just write in a natural language.

Start over from the beginning. This is simply not a good essay.

come on guys, lets try to be somewhat proactive here.

This is not a terrible essay, the ideas are obviously both heartfelt and well reasoned.

In my opinion, the problem is that the reader really has to work to pull out the themes. I want this essay to slap me in the face and scream, "I want to be a doctor for x, y, and z."

Play up the masters, it makes you different, and keep smoothing it out until the ideas are more sharply focused.

A note to the rest of you, I hope you aren't this crass with your patients.

Here is my advice and my feedback, I hope you find it helpful.

first para: language is awkward in places. "intellectual proclivities" and "be a good vehicle by which to make my positive effect." Please stick to real down to earth language. get more personal. also expand on the imagery of the fantasy/day-dream; maybe say, "a large audience brimming with white coats and shining with the attentive stare of listening eyes." something to that effect.

second para: again, use more personal language. as a reader i still feel distant from the writer. what cultivated the camaraderie? use more imagery. give a detailed image to me. more story-based, everything here is sorta listed to me, without any grounding / footing.

para three: again, no actual experience is given as to why the research career is not desirable. good mark here - checking to see if patient care is what you like. good move, good that you check yourself, and the imagery is there with the example / story. much better. language is getting better and more personal.

para four: language has gone back to somewhat cold. "the most significant" experience with the fat man could be re-worded... "my most memorable experience was with Carl, a man facing obesity who weighed over 400 pounds. I asked him to... etc etc." example is good, expand a little, highlight features of his face when you interacted with him, language gets more personal towards the end...

para five: good resolution... seems to tie together alright.

----------------------------
Overall

The strength of this essay lies in its use of the examples, and the approach you have in testing yourself and exploring the tangible aspects of medicine, along with those less tangible aspects (the emotional element you speak of.) I think overall it is okay/"good", but not exactly anything that will be outstanding or memorable. It will probably be like most average applicant essays, but that is not to say that it is bad.

My major suggestion to you is to go back and comb through the language. I can easily tell the parts where you were just typing like a stream-of-consciousness, and which parts you had difficulty typing. The language used in parts of the essay are sort of off; it seems to me you try to use higher-level words, but this is not a showcase of your vocabulary skills / lexicon / verbal acumen etc. Anyway, I feel at times the language of the essay serve as a barrier to my connection to you as a reader, and this really hurts the "personal" objective of the essay.

(edit: ) On the whole, I think it would also benefit you to be more of a story-teller and less of a fact-teller. Paint a story, and make it really interesting for me to read. Don't be afraid to step outside the boundaries of a formal-essay; they are not grading you like your typical academic-writing class might. Turn this into something that has a kick in it, some creativity spice.

Good luck on your apps and best wishes!

I was going thru my junk mail, and found this coupon... I don't know if accepted.com is better/worse/different than essay edge (i didnt' use either of them), but here's a $50 coupon...

"Save $50 off your next purchase of any accepted.com service"

"To save $50, visit www.accepted.com/egrad and provide Coupon Code 125471 during the checkout process."

:luck: Best of luck! :luck:

waterlily said:
tell her not to use the thesaurus...you can tell the awkwardness with the big words, it feels like they're just thrown in there...just write in a natural language.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. Also, I think that your sister really needs to examine the structure she wants to give her essay. In her writings I can see the ideas she wants to convey, but her style of delivery is failing to effectively communicate them. She could really use the assistance of someone with humanities/essay writing knowledge. This person doesn't have to be a PhD in English and could perhaps be college friends with humanities majors. In my opinion she has quite a bit of work to do until she would have an essay that is both interesting and original.