Revisit Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klpitter23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With revisits weekends coming up fast, I'm looking for a little help on what type of questions to probe students with, and what type of things to be on the look out for. I think a lot of my final decision will just come down to gut feel, based on interactions with students and faculty, but I'm wondering how other people are approaching (or have approached) the situation.

Slight side question for current MD/PhDs: were there any specific criteria that you considered really important while you were making your decision, but in hindsight have realized it wasn't really a big deal?

I know a lot of this is subjective, but I thought it would be good to hear some opinions. Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I put too much weight on the prestige of my institution when I was choosing MSTPs...now I see that there is no difference between the top 20 schools in the nation in terms of student success, residency placement, etc. Also the subtle differences in med school curriculums between various med schools is no big deal in the long run.

Go somewhere where you could enjoy (not just tolerate) living for 8 years, where the current students are people you could enjoy (not just tolerate) hanging out with for 8 years, and that has a good track record for producing successful graduates - people that get out with solid PhDs with multiple publications in good journals and that make it out in time (between 3-5 years for the grad school part). If the administration (e.g. MSTP program leadership) is cool that is a huge bonus as well - I interviewed at a lot of big name places where the prog directors were just awful; you want people in high places that will go to bat for you if you ever need them to. My 2 cents.