RFA of ganglion impar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galenao

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been doing RFA of ganglion impar or SCS for coccygeal pain and outcome. Would also appreciate any literature recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't done any ganglion impar RFA but several blocks with minimal relief for coccydynia. Have discussed this with several other experienced docs at various conferences and they report the same result. Coccydynia is tough as there's often a moderate amount of psychologic overlay. Just my 2cents

For your ganglion impar theraputic blocks, what the composition of your injectate and what is your volume?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do 40mg kenalog, 3cc 0.25% marcaine, 3cc 1% lidocaine. Just did my 2nd injection on a patient i last injected in August - 5 months of relief - and the pain just started coming back. he's a truck driver which doesn't help.

welcome back triple H. long time no see.

Last edited:
I do 40mg kenalog, 3cc 0.25% marcaine, 3cc 1% lidocaine. Just did my 2nd injection on a patient i last injected in August - 5 months of relief - and the pain just started coming back. he's a truck driver which doesn't help.

welcome back triple H. long time no see.

i do paxil or prozac. seems to work the best...

The patient should also be evaluated for coccyx dislocation, and a reduction can be done at the time of the block via rectal approach. I guess no one is doing RF.

retrograde SCS? Anyone would do it?