RFFIT Test Blood Draw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mililanipet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a physicians office or veterinary facility that can do a human blood draw for an RFFIT test. My colleague and I work with animals and we were looking for doctors office or any other facility for that matter that could do a blood draw and send it off to the lab. My colleague had one about ten years ago and says now that it is very difficult to find anyone who will help do that test now. Since our occupation takes us all over it could be anywhere in the United States. We were hoping to get the Endpoint version if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Does it need to be RFFIT? I simply asked my local primary care physician for a rabies titer test 5 years after my vaccinations so I could make sure I was still protected. It was performed and I was still adequately protected.

Many labs use an ELISA test. But it is recommended by the WHO to do the RFFIT test or the FAVN test, which is what is done on animals for travel. It seems to be very difficult finding someone who will do the blood draw and send it to the lab. I know in Massachusetts that will be doing RFFIT tests for humans at a Veterinary Conference in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it. RFFIT is done with serum. There's nothing special about the blood draw itself. I just went to my normal family practitioner, who drew the blood and sent it to KSU, where the RFFIT is/was done. Any doctor should be able to do that.

From KSU's FAQ for their RFFIT:

"Can I draw the sample in a serum separator tube?
Yes, the sample can be collected and sent in a serum separator tube (gel separated, red-top tube, tiger-top tube). However, if a serum separator tube is used, it is best to pour off the serum into a red top 3.0 mL tube and send only the serum part of the sample."

For more info -- http://www.ksvdl.org/rabies-laboratory/rffit-test/index.html

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get it. RFFIT is done with serum. There's nothing special about the blood draw itself. I just went to my normal family practitioner, who drew the blood and sent it to KSU, where the RFFIT is/was done. Any doctor should be able to do that.

From KSU's FAQ for their RFFIT:

"Can I draw the sample in a serum separator tube?
Yes, the sample can be collected and sent in a serum separator tube (gel separated, red-top tube, tiger-top tube). However, if a serum separator tube is used, it is best to pour off the serum into a red top 3.0 mL tube and send only the serum part of the sample."

For more info -- http://www.ksvdl.org/rabies-laboratory/rffit-test/index.html

Thank you LetitSnow. I was going to ask, could you provide the name of your physician and where they may be located? We have asked around to numerous physician offices, but they all keep saying they will not to any blood work with any lab that they don't normally work with. We could pay out of pocket.

Again, thank you so much.

We are looking for a doctors office that will do a blood draw for the RFFIT test.

Previously, we contacted the KSU Lab and Atlanta Health Associates, but they could not provide the name of an office that would do the blood draw.

Last edited:
ONE LAST REQUEST, MY COLLEAGUE POSTED FOR THIS EARLIER THIS WEEK AND WE RECEIVED SOME VERY INSULTING REPLIES FROM A MEMBER. PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1537-1377621562-19.gif

You try and help people and when you refuse to give out the name of your personal physician to a complete stranger on the Internet, they accuse you of being "insulting".

Serves me right.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi SanDiego Dolls or MilanPet or whatever your name is. My father ran into a similar situation. He works in animal control and would get that test every few years. He said many places he would go to previously no longer would do that test for him.
He finally found a clinic that did the test for him and a co-worker near our house.
Are you in San Diego? The Clinic is located in Everett, Washington. I could give you the address and information.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this looks kind of sketchy, but I used this site:
http://requestatest.com/tests/search

You basically go to a local diagnostic clinic and they take your blood and send it off. Looking at my results it looks like they send it off to LabCorp. My results came back with a note about K State on the bottom. I think it must be somewhat legitimate?