Rfu Ap Program Modification Rumors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markboonya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing rumors that the program format/3.0 guarantee might change very soon. here is a PM discussion i had with a current AP student:

I am sorry but I have actually heard this from the faculty. My friend (an AP) had his interview with the a prof. who is alos in charge of the admissions and he said that the program will most likely be changed. I am not sure if they are going to change the whole 3.0 thing but he said "the APs WILL NOT be taking as much medical classes as they do now....and it might even be at a separate campus so they are not even in the same classes." The main thing is that when you are an M1A you are in the same classes as the M1s (straight from college). And you are on the same curve as them....and since you are only taking 2 classes and they are taking like 5-6.....The M1As are the ones who are setting the curves....and i admit that this is totally not fair...But yeah I am not exaggerating when I say this.....but I have heard from 2-3 faculty members that there is a good chance that the 3.0 thing is not gonna happen from now on...BUT then they also say that we are not 100%...my guess is that in the next 3-4 years its gonna be gone for sure....the only problem is when are they going to implement this decision? and honestly i have absolutely NO CLUE....im sorry

any other current AP'ers hear of the same thing? i am particularly worried about the 3.0 guarantee since that is the main attraction for me (instead of gtown, drexel, BU). not too worried about being on another campus or taking less classes, just as long as i can get in as a MS1 the following year. man i am worried now. i think i will try to email/phone the admissions coordinator when apps come out.

Members don't see this ad.

markboonya said:
I've been hearing rumors that the program format/3.0 guarantee might change very soon. here is a PM discussion i had with a current AP student:

I am sorry but I have actually heard this from the faculty. My friend (an AP) had his interview with the a prof. who is alos in charge of the admissions and he said that the program will most likely be changed. I am not sure if they are going to change the whole 3.0 thing but he said "the APs WILL NOT be taking as much medical classes as they do now....and it might even be at a separate campus so they are not even in the same classes." The main thing is that when you are an M1A you are in the same classes as the M1s (straight from college). And you are on the same curve as them....and since you are only taking 2 classes and they are taking like 5-6.....The M1As are the ones who are setting the curves....and i admit that this is totally not fair...But yeah I am not exaggerating when I say this.....but I have heard from 2-3 faculty members that there is a good chance that the 3.0 thing is not gonna happen from now on...BUT then they also say that we are not 100%...my guess is that in the next 3-4 years its gonna be gone for sure....the only problem is when are they going to implement this decision? and honestly i have absolutely NO CLUE....im sorry

any other current AP'ers hear of the same thing? i am particularly worried about the 3.0 guarantee since that is the main attraction for me (instead of gtown, drexel, BU). not too worried about being on another campus or taking less classes, just as long as i can get in as a MS1 the following year. man i am worried now. i think i will try to email/phone the admissions coordinator when apps come out.

This has been discussed on here before and it has been said by someone directly linked to the program that what was said above is false. However, I can't give you anymore information than that. Now, I am nervous because that my main attraction to (3.0 GPA thing).

markboonya said:

This has been discussed on here before and it has been said by someone directly linked to the program that the rumor mentioned above is false. However, I can't give you anymore information than that. Now, I am nervous because that my main attraction to (3.0 GPA thing).

Members don't see this ad :)
guys,
i applied to rfu for the 2006 but since i am not hearing anything from anyone, i want to apply to the AP. do you think it will have an influence over the medschoo decision?
anyone in the similar sit?
i really hope the 3.0 stands for 2007 :)

madonna said:
guys,
i applied to rfu for the 2006 but since i am not hearing anything from anyone, i want to apply to the AP. do you think it will have an influence over the medschoo decision?
anyone in the similar sit?
i really hope the 3.0 stands for 2007 :)

Your med school app has NO influence over your AP application.

and it might even be at a separate campus so they are not even in the same classes."

I am an M4 at RFUMS the problem with the above PM is there is NO OTHER CAMPUS. If this was from someone at the school then they surely would know that there isnt another campus. Seems like the same BS that has been on these boards for a while.

USArmyDoc said:
Your med school app has NO influence over your AP application.

i mean the otherway. i dont want them to just take me to the AP and throw my medschool application away.

It's not BS...I'm just trying to let you guys know what MIGHT happen. I have heard this from M1As and the faculty.....the bottom line is that the school wants to change the AP program...when it's going to happen or how they are going to change it...i dont know....i dont think anyone knows...BUT I have also heard from faculty and students that this (class of 2006) MIGHT be the last year they have the "3.0" rule.

EctopicFetus said:
I am an M4 at RFUMS the problem with the above PM is there is NO OTHER CAMPUS. If this was from someone at the school then they surely would know that there isnt another campus. Seems like the same BS that has been on these boards for a while.

yeah i dont get the whole OTHER CAMPUS thing either.....its only two buildings...so i dont know why my friend (fellow AP) was told this during his interview :rolleyes:

markboonya said:

So would taking less med classes be a good thing or a bad thing? Seems like it would make the AP year much easier? It would allow people to spread out the classes over the AP and MS1A year? If this is correct I can see that it would probably be easier to get a 3.0 gpa, so is this the reason why the 3.0 guarantee wouldnt stand anymore? If the 3.0 gpa guarantee was taken away, how would the faculty determine who got in or didnt get in? Would they change it to another gpa cutoff? Say 3.5 or some other random number? Would there not be a cutoff any longer? Would they change it so that they only took a certain number of students each year (like gt?)?

NRAI2001 said:
So would taking less med classes be a good thing or a bad thing? Seems like it would make the AP year much easier? It would allow people to spread out the classes over the AP and MS1A year? If this is correct I can see that it would probably be easier to get a 3.0 gpa, so is this the reason why the 3.0 guarantee wouldnt stand anymore? If the 3.0 gpa guarantee was taken away, how would the faculty determine who got in or didnt get in? Would they change it to another gpa cutoff? Say 3.5 or some other random number? Would there not be a cutoff any longer? Would they change it so that they only took a certain number of students each year (like gt?)?

They better keep the 3.0 deal! I would be pissed!!

These rumors start every yr because there is no firm policy on this. Now I am not saying they arent but things in that PM make it seem like they are full of it. Also, one of the benefits to the school with having APs take Med School classes is that they dont have to have their faculty do extra work. I would simply be cautious to those who are applying and ask someone at school what kind of changes they are planning to implement next yr. It is hard to trust some person on the net, as it is hard to gauge their honesty and motive. Now I am not doubting anyone, I am simply telling people to be cautious.

EctopicFetus said:
These rumors start every yr because there is no firm policy on this. Now I am not saying they arent but things in that PM make it seem like they are full of it. Also, one of the benefits to the school with having APs take Med School classes is that they dont have to have their faculty do extra work. I would simply be cautious to those who are applying and ask someone at school what kind of changes they are planning to implement next yr. It is hard to trust some person on the net, as it is hard to gauge their honesty and motive. Now I am not doubting anyone, I am simply telling people to be cautious.

I think Ectopic is right. The same rumor was sent around last year also and it turned out to be false. I think the best bet is to email the department and ask. Anyone up for the challenge? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
I think Ectopic is right. The same rumor was sent around last year also and it turned out to be false. I think the best bet is to email the department and ask. Anyone up for the challenge? ;)

I do remember there were some rumors like this going around towards the end of the summer last year...just before the AP program started but then on the frist day of class told us that the 3.0 will get us in!

Regarding the less med school classes===> The main thing is that a lot of the M1s (some of them my friends here) Complain A LOT about how they are on the same grading scale as the M1As which is not fair (and i agree). Imagine taking 24 units of med school classes and then being on the same scale as someone taking 8-10.....of course the M1As are gonna set the curve on those tests. So over the years people have complaing to the faculty and now the faculty wants to do something ( my friend who graduated from here in 05 told me how one of his classmates, an M1, started a petition and tried to end the AP program all on his own :laugh: )...AGAIN when they will implement the rule...no one knows
:( :(

I hope all u guys make it and i hope that they never change the 3.0 policy because I think too many people get jacked by the system ( i know people with 33s here!!!) and dont get to be physicians...once ur in....work ur ass off that one year and make sure u make it!!!

good luck futre physicians :)

ucsb101 said:
I do remember there were some rumors like this going around towards the end of the summer last year...just before the AP program started but then on the frist day of class told us that the 3.0 will get us in!

Regarding the less med school classes===> The main thing is that a lot of the M1s (some of them my friends here) Complain A LOT about how they are on the same grading scale as the M1As which is not fair (and i agree). Imagine taking 24 units of med school classes and then being on the same scale as someone taking 8-10.....of course the M1As are gonna set the curve on those tests. So over the years people have complaing to the faculty and now the faculty wants to do something ( my friend who graduated from here in 05 told me how one of his classmates, an M1, started a petition and tried to end the AP program all on his own :laugh: )...AGAIN when they will implement the rule...no one knows
:( :(

I hope all u guys make it and i hope that they never change the 3.0 policy because I think too many people get jacked by the system ( i know people with 33s here!!!) and dont get to be physicians...once ur in....work ur ass off that one year and make sure u make it!!!

good luck futre physicians :)

:thumbup:

Would they let people know of any changes before they get there, or do u just have to wait and see on the first day of classes?

NRAI2001 said:
:thumbup:

Would they let people know of any changes before they get there, or do u just have to wait and see on the first day of classes?

they better let u guy know before u start the program!!

Listen there is a strategy meeting at the school in Jan and I was invited to participate. IF this is a subject I promise to fight tooth and nail for this thing. WAY WAY too many people get the screw job in getting into med school. I know of AT LEAST 5 former APs with Step 1>250, so take that for what it is worth. Anyhow, I will do my best to attend and if I cant then I will do my best to getsomeone there to represent current and future APs.

Peace out.

EctopicFetus said:
Listen there is a strategy meeting at the school in Jan and I was invited to participate. IF this is a subject I promise to fight tooth and nail for this thing. WAY WAY too many people get the screw job in getting into med school. I know of AT LEAST 5 former APs with Step 1>250, so take that for what it is worth. Anyhow, I will do my best to attend and if I cant then I will do my best to getsomeone there to represent current and future APs.

Peace out.

EctopicFetus said:

Peace out.
u are my hero!

AP student here. The 3.0 and your in rule stands as of now. Yes, there is "talk" of changing it for a number of reasons, but that's all it is right now...talk. They said that if it ever does change they will let applicants to the AP program know long before they start making decisions.

Mperor said:
AP student here. The 3.0 and your in rule stands as of now. Yes, there is "talk" of changing it for a number of reasons, but that's all it is right now...talk. They said that if it ever does change they will let applicants to the AP program know long before they start making decisions.

Can you elaborate on the "number of reasons?" I would like to know their rationale. What I don't understand is why doesn't the school like it? It brings them more money as well as qualifies students well for the boards.

I am a current AP student (2005) and I thought I would chime in. I have not been on these boards in a while and a friend of mine e-mailed me and said that the old AP rumors were in full force again. Etopic USArmyDoc how are you doing? Etopic and Armydoc helped me a lot when I was applying by their posts etc. I feel that I should try to offer some form of help. I agree tha the AP program is a great program and has litterally helped 100's if not 1000's become excellent doctors.Several of my classmates this year had mid 30 MCATs and decent gpa's. Let's face it there are not enough spots in medical schools for all the qualified applicants and every year lots of great applicants get rejected and I am sure there are always some not so great applicants that get in. Such is life. Anyways It would be a true shame if the program was changed in anyway that hindered the APs from reaching their goal. The program is an old program and has seen many changes over the years. It is true that this current rumor has come up the last few years.

I will stop the babbling now Here is what I know, about 1 month ago a friend e-mailed me with this same rumor and I said I would look into it and see if there was any substance to the rumor. So I went to the AP program director and said that I had heard rumors from: "they were doing away with the AP program", to "they were dropping the quasi guarantee with a 3.0 gpa rumor" etc. He told me that there has been many talks as there has been in many yeras of many different types of changes. He also said that one of their concerns is that the way the program is setup now that those students who finish the AP program but fail to meet the 2.96 gpa (about 8 - 10 per year finish the program but do not get the gpa) really are left with not many options. They are out 40 - 50K and do not get the Masters and can't really go on at Rosalind. You would think that these reasons alone would be motivation the get the gpa. The reason for this 2.96 rule to be awarded the Masters in applied physiology, is that the AP program is under the graduate school and it is their rule that any grad student in their programs must get a 2.96 to be awarded a Masters or PhD. So the director told me that they have thought of moving the AP program into another program at the school (not campus like another poster said they heard) like the school of health professionals. The school of health professionals does not have the 2.96 rule. So if they did move the AP program to this department then those students who did not meet the gpa of a 2.96 could still get some type of masters degree and potentially stay on at Rosalind to pursue a PhD or something else (not an MD) or have a Masters degree that was useful in other fields like teaching etc. So in order to have this kind of program they may have to make some course work changes but nothing has been decided as of 1 month ago. So that is issue #1

Issue #2. I asked about the rumor of the Medical school not accepting those AP students who did get the 2.96 gpa. and become more like Georgetown or BU where, of the SMP students only a certain percentage (like 10%) ultimately get accepted into the medical school for the next year. The director told me that he hoped this change would nevert occur, and that there was no plan in place for this.

So he did confirm that there had been some discussions of some possible changes. He reassured me that my class (2005) would not be affected and that if they did not make the changes soon and he said like before the 2006 students can start apoplying that the 2006 students would not be affected either. He said it would not be fair to have students apply under the understanding of the current program and then have that program changed. He indicated that any changes would probably take some time to implement and students would be aware before they decided to attend if they were accepted. So I hope this helps.

I am with Etopic in that I hope that if there are any changes that they help the AP students get to their goal of being an MD rather than make it harder. I think that this AP program is great. It is challenging but a great way to prove yourself. My classmates both the APs and the M1s and M1a's are great. I like the falculty and the courses. I am definately an advocate for the program. If I can get involved in the meeting about change that Etopic was talking about as a current AP student I will and I will put in a good effort for maintaining the AP program.

Well I have midterms starting on Monday and I better get back to my studies, I have to keep my gpa up

EL CAPeeeTAN, thanks so much for your post, really informative.

G'luck on your midterms!!! :luck:

El Capeetan,
I want to just make sure I read you correctly. If there are any changes made to the AP program, it will NOT affect the class of 2006. Correct?

USArmyDoc said:
El Capeetan,
I want to just make sure I read you correctly. If there are any changes made to the AP program, it will NOT affect the class of 2006. Correct?

This is what was indicated to me by the director. He basically told me and this was a month ago that "most likely" because nothing had been decided on any changes for the program that they would not be able to implement anything for the 2006 class. As of now (a month later) They have not announced any changes so I would say that 2006 class should be fine. I would recommend any potential applicants to call admissions and double check. I will try and go in tomorrow and ask again for everyone about 2006.