RFU vs SIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiley1512

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am experiencing decision paralysis, so I hope that this community can provide some insight.

Rosalind Franklin

Pros

• Opportunities to rotate in Chicagoland hospitals
  • Slightly more well-known
  • More hope in this location to be close to my boyfriend next year (although he has not yet applied to med school, there are plenty of programs in the area that he could end up at)
Cons
  • Significantly more expensive (although-- is there any chance for scholarships?)
  • Higher cost of living
  • 1 hour farther from home
  • No dedicated hospital

Southern Illinois

Pros

• Much less expensive
  • Close (ish) to home
  • Reasonable cost of living in Carbondale and Springfield
  • Has a derm residency
  • My stats are higher than their averages so possibly a scholarship? And a chance to be more competitive in the class?
Cons
  • Slightly worse reputation
  • Limited rotation sites
  • PBL
  • Farther from boyfriend

Members don't see this ad.

If it is much less expensive, go to SIU. The in-house residency for derm is hard to beat in the opportunities it can provide.

How serious is your relationship with your partner? Exactly how far is "far" here?

I do not hold out for scholarships unless your profile is one where you show a clear mission fit or have a "hard knocks" story that can tell benefactors why you were a good choice to get a scholarship. Merit scholarships are rarely given out in medical school compared to undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How serious is your relationship with your partner? Exactly how far is "far" here?

I do not hold out for scholarships unless your profile is one where you show a clear mission fit or have a "hard knocks" story that can tell benefactors why you were a good choice to get a scholarship. Merit scholarships are rarely given out in medical school compared to undergrad.
SIU is 2 hours roughly (to Carbondale or Springfield) and RFU is 3.5 hours from home. Boyfriend will be long distance either way, so I'm not sure if I should be splitting hairs over a couple hours' distance.

SIU is 2 hours roughly (to Carbondale or Springfield) and RFU is 3.5 hours from home. Boyfriend will be long distance either way, so I'm not sure if I should be splitting hairs over a couple hours' distance.
Splitting hairs and your boyfriend shouldn't count on getting into a Chicago school either once he does apply.

Reactions: 1 user