Rheum programs with niches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdjo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that in some cities with multiple big rheum programs, they each tend to specialize in one little niche of rheum. I think I heard in Boston, one program does scleroderma, and one does lupus, and one does...something else. So almost all the lupus patients in Boston go to the one center, and the other centers end up not seeing much lupus at all (or at least a very under-represented proportion of lupus).

Is this true of most cities with multiple programs/centers? I saw Philly, NY, Chicago, and some other cities also have multiple big programs. How can I find out which programs emphasize what?

I'm planning on doing general rheum and I don't want to have any holes in my training because the other program in the city sees all the vasculitis or something.

Members don't see this ad.

But...I want to live in some of those places? (What other reason would there be for asking? haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in a couple of those places and currently do also and can't imagine how you could assure anyone of that..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If a rheumatology fellowship program is so specialized that you don't see any vasculitis, scleroderma, or lupus, it is not a good program if you want to be a general rheumatologist. If you want to be a specialized academic researcher, go wherever they specialize in that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk