RIC, Umich programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do the top PM&R programs have step 1 cutoffs? like northwestern, umich and kessler (top?)

is a 208 too low?

what can i do to improve my chances at these top programs? is it advisable to rotate at as many of my pm&r top choices as possible if I'm sure about wanting to joint pm&r as a field. will rotating there help?

Members don't see this ad.

icebreakers said:
do the top PM&R programs have step 1 cutoffs? like northwestern, umich and kessler (top?)

is a 208 too low?

what can i do to improve my chances at these top programs? is it advisable to rotate at as many of my pm&r top choices as possible if I'm sure about wanting to joint pm&r as a field. will rotating there help?

I think rotating helps if you can get a good letter out of it - and that letter will obviously help you everywhere. But I don't know necessarily if it's that advantageous. One place I rotated at was one of the last places to invite me. It can also be a double edged sword - you may impress but you could also distress.

When I talked to one of the Emory chief residents, he told me that they prefer candidates that rotate there. So I guess it varies.

I don't know if there are strict cutoffs per say for the programs you mention. PM&R isn't derm, rad onc, neurosurgery or ortho. It's more a moderately competitive specialty - and the competition is based less on bs than other specialities from what I have been able to perceive imho. Naturally a higher score is better - Mayo's website for example says they are impressed with people over 220, whatever that means, Emory wants a 200/80 for consideration per their website (as does Harvard I think).