Richard Stockton College?????

Started by Arijos0222
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am looking into undergraduate institutions and I am looking into Richard Stockton College. I have a B GPA and I will be taking the SAT's this year, but I am sure that (with all the preparation i've had) I will get at least a 1900.

Now, does it REALLY matter if you go to a so called "Regional University" such as this?

How would this affect my chances of getting into say, a top medical school with say, a 3.6 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT? Would they take another "State Flagship" student over myself, even though I have the same grades?

By the way, I'm hispanic.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am looking into undergraduate institutions and I am looking into Richard Stockton College. I have a B GPA and I will be taking the SAT's this year, but I am sure that (with all the preparation i've had) I will get at least a 1900.

Now, does it REALLY matter if you go to a so called "Regional University" such as this?

How would this affect my chances of getting into say, a top medical school with say, a 3.6 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT? Would they take another "State Flagship" student over myself, even though I have the same grades?

By the way, I'm hispanic.

I'm not familiar with Richard Stockton (ie, it certainly doesn't have a national name and when I was doing fellowship in NJ, I didn't hear about it either).

Small liberal arts colleges can produce some of the finest students in this country and while many advocate the "big name" schools, there is no doubt that a motivated student can overcome the "never heard of" factor for some schools.

My main concern about Richard Stockton is that they report their average SAT is > 1100. That's a pretty poor score IMHO and I would wonder about the quality of the student body. It does you no good to have a 3.6 gpa if most of your classmates were people with 1100 SATs who honestly couldn't get in anywhere else.

So yes, in a sense, the reputation of your school does matter somewhat. Since I'm not in academics in NJ I cannot weigh in on the rep of Stockton or the other school you mention above, but even with great grades and MCATs, they might be some small contribution of the school you came from.
 
I'm not familiar with Richard Stockton (ie, it certainly doesn't have a national name and when I was doing fellowship in NJ, I didn't hear about it either).

Small liberal arts colleges can produce some of the finest students in this country and while many advocate the "big name" schools, there is no doubt that a motivated student can overcome the "never heard of" factor for some schools.

My main concern about Richard Stockton is that they report their average SAT is > 1100. That's a pretty poor score IMHO and I would wonder about the quality of the student body. It does you no good to have a 3.6 gpa if most of your classmates were people with 1100 SATs who honestly couldn't get in anywhere else.

So yes, in a sense, the reputation of your school does matter somewhat. Since I'm not in academics in NJ I cannot weigh in on the rep of Stockton or the other school you mention above, but even with great grades and MCATs, they might be some small contribution of the school you came from.

What about Rider University? Are you familiar with that university? That is at the top of my list.
 
As long as the major you're presuing is notied and is well knowed, ti doesn't matter where you go....
It really doesn't matter where go, unless it's not a tier 1 college or maybe 2 college, and it has no rep. Also if it is a community college type of school it would matter too, but I see no probs as long as you research your college.