Rick Perry stem cell spinal fusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painstop

Pain Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The hospital let him do that? Wow.

No, he should not be advocating it. He should be advocating the research on it.

The hospital let him do that? Wow.

No, he should not be advocating it. He should be advocating the research on it.

so this presidential candidate had a lumbar fusion surgery and nobody is concerned about future complications, pain related issues (opioid usage), functional limitations that may effect his presidency....

I have more of an issue with this than Bachman's migraines.

Members don't see this ad :)
so this presidential candidate had a lumbar fusion surgery and nobody is concerned about future complications, pain related issues (opioid usage), functional limitations that may effect his presidency....

I have more of an issue with this than Bachman's migraines.

What I world we live in!! We have been hounded on all sides about evidence based medicine, EMR's, ACO's etc and yet a presidential candidate decides to advocate an unproven unstudied procedure just because it benefits him. What a double standard!!! I dont know why I am surprised. He is the governor of my state. I am going to write him a letter.

we are not talking about a rhodes scholar here.

at the veritable hotbed of all things acdemic and technical, governor perry scored a

D in trigonomety
D in organic chem I
F in organic chem II

i'd list all the "C"s he got, but i dont have enought time. check it out for yourself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/rick-perry-college-transcript_n_919357.html

bottom line: you shold not take this man or anything he says seriously. say what you want about Obama, but at least he is not an idiot.

also, im not sure how his touting of stem cells squares with his religious background and supporters....

also, im not sure how his touting of stem cells squares with his religious background and supporters....

it doesnt which is going to be interesting to watch....i did write the letter

snippet from a yahoo story today....

"When Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry goes for a jog in Texas, the governor doesn't just throw on a pair of gym shorts and tennis shoes before dashing out the door. He also packs a concealed .380 Ruger loaded with deadly hollow-point bullets, fully equipped with a laser-sight for precise killing. (What, you don't?)

He says he keeps it on him in case of an attack from wild animals. Last year, the Texas governor sent a coyote to canine heaven with a single shot while he was exercising in Austin, claiming it had threatened his dog."

well done, rick, well done

He used adult stem cells, not embryonic, which most zealots are ok with.

Yes, we need more stem cell research, including embryonic, however his use of adult stem cells are not in conflict with the right wing religious nuts.

I believe it was his own stem cells also, so only religions like Jehova's Witnesses would really have an issue with it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about chronic pain in the White House. Kennedy did well enough with severe back pain and Addison's Dz. And he still managed to bone most of the hottest women in the country at the time.

Isn't that why they become president?

snippet from a yahoo story today....

"When Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry goes for a jog in Texas, the governor doesn't just throw on a pair of gym shorts and tennis shoes before dashing out the door. He also packs a concealed .380 Ruger loaded with deadly hollow-point bullets, fully equipped with a laser-sight for precise killing. (What, you don't?)

He says he keeps it on him in case of an attack from wild animals. Last year, the Texas governor sent a coyote to canine heaven with a single shot while he was exercising in Austin, claiming it had threatened his dog."

well done, rick, well done

and your point is ???.
i and my dog was recently attacked by a loose pit bull. owner was 100 feet away. i wish perry had been with me...

my point is that i think its pretty ridiculous. i dont want to start another political war here, but if you need a gun to protect your dog from wild coyotes, perhaps you shouldnt run with your dog.

To judge a man based on his grades from years and years ago is a slippery slope, and is not an indication of his current policies. Fidel Castro is/was known as a brilliant and highly intelligent and charismatic man. I wonder what kind of grades Hitler had?

Maybe you should decide to talk about current events....but then again this is the internet.

I don't live in Texas, but how the governor/legislature has handled the practice of medicine and medicolegal issues looks pretty impressive from here. The Texas Medical Association is the envy of the country.

I don't live in Texas, but how the governor/legislature has handled the practice of medicine and medicolegal issues looks pretty impressive from here. The Texas Medical Association is the envy of the country.

I'm not sure how much of that Perry is directly responsible for.......

Okay, I believe you. But he seems to be standing up to the trial lawyers in general, no? Me likes... Not a big fan of the religiosity but...

Texas makes losers pay for frivolous lawsuits

By: Examiner Editorial | 06/04/11 9:00 PM

It’s no wonder that Texas Gov. Rick Perry has recently been the focus of speculation about whether he might run for president in 2012. Texas has been on an economic roll since 2001, creating far more new jobs than any other state in the nation even as its population increased to 25 million. Love him or hate him, Perry is in his fourth term in Austin and thus deserves a big chunk of the credit for many of the good things happening in the Lone Star State.
Texas also has implemented some of the nation’s most significant state-level reforms aimed at reducing or eliminating lawsuit abuse.
The latest of these is a “loser pays” provision requiring plaintiffs to pay the winners’ legal costs in civil suits seeking punitive damages. The provision is included in the 2011 Omnibus Tort Reform Act Perry signed Monday. In addition to the provision, the new law:
  • Allows a trial judge to send a question of law directly to the appellate court without requiring all parties to agree if a ruling by a court of appeals could decide the case.
  • Allows plaintiffs seeking less than $100,000 in damages to request an expedited civil action.
  • Allows a trial court to dismiss a frivolous lawsuit immediately if there is no basis in law or fact for the lawsuit.
Because such litigation is controlled at the state level, the U.S. is unique among the industrialized nations in not having a national loser-pays law. That fact is likely among the key reasons why the American media so frequently report new examples of people suing for the most outrageous of reasons. Take, for example, Mark S. Gold, a Miami traffic court lawyer who got drunk at a local strip club in November, then woke up the next morning with a tab of nearly $19,000. He promptly sued the strip club’s corporate owner, claiming he should not be held responsible for the huge bill because the bar “continuously served plaintiff alcoholic beverages to the extent that he was rendered intoxicated, partially or temporarily unconscious, and further to the extent that he had a complete loss of judgment, rational thought or ability to enter into lawful contracts or agreements.”
Odds are Gold will walk away with most, if not all, of his bar tab forgiven since the defendants know it could lose big-time if he convinces a jury to award him punitive damages. As things now stand, plaintiffs like Gold have nothing to lose and everything to gain by clogging the courts with frivolous litigation. How many such suits would be filed if losing plaintiffs everywhere that they would have to pay the defendants’ legal fees?
The absence of loser-pays provisions in the vast majority of states helps explain why class-action plaintiff litigation cost more than $248 billion last year, according to the Towers Watson 2010 Update on U.S. Tort Cost Trends. That’s $808 for every man, woman and child in the country. It also makes the U.S. legal system twice as expensive — measured as a percentage of gross domestic product — as those of other industrialized nations, according to the Institute for Legal Reform.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/e...s-losers-pay-frivolous-lawsuits#ixzz1VtumHRuR