ridiculously high pharmacy school tuition + fee

Started by BMBiology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The dental school total is close to 410k not including cost of living. 👎

But I don't want to be an optometrist...?

Besides, USC and NYU are the most expensive D-schools. My number one and two(UNC and GHSU) are about 107k. USC and NYU. They're our versions of the Caribbean. If you're smart, you'll get into a school that isn't financial suicide.

400K for NYU with living I thought? Maybe I am wrong. But it was that much when I looked into it in 2008. LOL

I was at Columbia Dental school. That I know for sure was $44,580 a year + living expenses. Assuming you spend $20,000 a year for living you will be taking out $64,580 a year. That will be about 260K in debt when you come out. 😱

I got into UNC dental school which was my state school, but I also got into Columbia and UPenn. I prefer Ivy Leagues so I picked Columbia.

Dental school is expensive, unless you go to your state school.
 
400K for NYU with living I thought? Maybe I am wrong. But it was that much when I looked into it in 2008. LOL

I was at Columbia Dental school. That I know for sure was $44,580 a year + living expenses. Assuming you spend $20,000 a year for living you will be taking out $64,580 a year. That will be about 260K in debt when you come out. 😱

I got into UNC dental school which was my state school, but I also got into Columbia and UPenn. I prefer Ivy Leagues so I picked Columbia.

Dental school is expensive, unless you go to your state school.

WOW, when was this? Try looking at tuition/expense for USC. NASTY.

And the 400k for NYU sounds about right. Tuition, along with dental equipment and living expenses, it should be around 90 to 100k per year. No joke. And the average GPA/DAT scores for all dental schools have gone up tremendously. Scary :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WOW, when was this? Try looking at tuition/expense for USC. NASTY.

And the 400k for NYU sounds about right. Tuition, along with dental equipment and living expenses, it should be around 90 to 100k per year. No joke. And the average GPA/DAT scores for all dental schools have gone up tremendously. Scary :scared:

It was in 2008. I am not sure what it is now.

NYU is 400K including cost of living. I believe someone said it was not including cost of living but it is.

The average DAT score for Columbia was 22 when I attend. I am not sure what it is now. Columbia and Harvard have the highest DAT averages.
 
You went to dental school...but then become a pharmacist? And Columbia at that? Please elaborate!


On a side note, can't tell if trolling or being honest...

EDIT: O_O she isn't trolling..look at her previous posts. I'd love to hear your story SHC! PM me if you don't want to go off-topic on this thread.


Seriously! 😀 That's really interesting and sort of matches me
 
You went to dental school...but then become a pharmacist? And Columbia at that? Please elaborate!


On a side note, can't tell if trolling or being honest...

EDIT: O_O she isn't trolling..look at her previous posts. I'd love to hear your story SHC! PM me if you don't want to go off-topic on this thread.


Seriously! 😀 That's really interesting and sort of matches me

Are you new on here? Most people are friends with me on Facebook and know already. LOL...

Yeah, I was a dental student at Columbia before but I decided it wasn't for me. I prefer a cleaner job, that doesn't involve touching patients or their blood etc.

I UNDERSTAND dentists make a ton more money. That's why I went into it before pharmacy...but I really don't like the "touching" people aspect.

I really just want a quiet job at a PBM office or work from home. I prefer that, even though it does make a lot less money.

Do you want to be a dentist? I understand tons of people want to be dentist b/c of the money. I did and I am sure everyone else does too.
 
Are you new on here? Most people are friends with me on Facebook and know already. LOL...

Yeah, I was a dental student at Columbia before but I decided it wasn't for me. I prefer a cleaner job, that doesn't involve touching patients or their blood etc.

I UNDERSTAND dentists make a ton more money. That's why I went into it before pharmacy...but I really don't like the "touching" people aspect.

I really just want a quiet job at a PBM office or work from home. I prefer that, even though it does make a lot less money.

Do you want to be a dentist? I understand tons of people want to be dentist b/c of the money. I did and I am sure everyone else does too.

If you do it for the money you'll end up like this Dentist: http://lolabees.me/2012/08/06/the-ultimate-test/

I am glad you saw the light before it was too late. I wish more professionals did things because they enjoy them, at least slightly, rather than mainly for the money.
 
Are you new on here? Most people are friends with me on Facebook and know already. LOL...

Yeah, I was a dental student at Columbia before but I decided it wasn't for me. I prefer a cleaner job, that doesn't involve touching patients or their blood etc.

I UNDERSTAND dentists make a ton more money. That's why I went into it before pharmacy...but I really don't like the "touching" people aspect.

I really just want a quiet job at a PBM office or work from home. I prefer that, even though it does make a lot less money.

Do you want to be a dentist? I understand tons of people want to be dentist b/c of the money. I did and I am sure everyone else does too.

lol...no I'm not friends with you on facebook. I'm as new as my stats say.

Yeah don't worry, I know what I'm doing. I'm well aware of the money situation. I wasn't into pharmacy for the money, and I'm not into dentistry for the money. I'm already making money by other means with little effort. I'm going into dentistry for the opposite reason you left. I like patient contact, and I missed that in pharmacy.

But I admire your change. You did what you wanted to do. AND YOU GOT INTO COLUMBIA! You and Z are officially some of my favorite SDN members. How admirable. I hope you find what you're looking for in pharmacy. 🙂

Columbia! I hope you become my pharmacists SHC. I'm donating to Mercer LOL
 
If you do it for the money you'll end up like this Dentist: http://lolabees.me/2012/08/06/the-ultimate-test/

I am glad you saw the light before it was too late. I wish more professionals did things because they enjoy them, at least slightly, rather than mainly for the money.

Yeah. If they would have guarantee me a spot in Ortho...then I might have stick with it! hahaha...but I would rather jump off a bridge or get ran over by a truck ten times than be a general dentist! Orthodontist would be alright..but general dentist? HELL NO. I don't care if it pays 10 million a year.

If I can have a do over...I would become a weather girl on TV...I might have became a pharm sales rep instead of going into pharmacy or I might have went into marketing or some other form of sales job.

lol...no I'm not friends with you on facebook. I'm as new as my stats say.

Yeah don't worry, I know what I'm doing. I'm well aware of the money situation. I wasn't into pharmacy for the money, and I'm not into dentistry for the money. I'm already making money by other means with little effort. I'm going into dentistry for the opposite reason you left. I like patient contact, and I missed that in pharmacy.

But I admire your change. You did what you wanted to do. AND YOU GOT INTO COLUMBIA! You and Z are officially some of my favorite SDN members. How admirable. I hope you find what you're looking for in pharmacy. 🙂

Columbia! I hope you become my pharmacists SHC. I'm donating to Mercer LOL

What do you do? Are you a pharmacist now?

I can't imagine anyone going into dentistry or pharmacy if they are already rich themselves. Hell, if I was already rich....I would just find a way to make my money GROW and live on the interest alone forever! I would never go into dentistry or pharmacy.

Thanks for the compliment though. I worked very hard in undergrad and got really good grades and test scores etc. Which made me very competitive for dent, med, pharm, whatever. I could do anything I want b/c I worked hard for my grades. I have a degree in Chemistry. I got into UPenn as well, but I hate philly so I didn't go there.

So what do you do?
 
Yeah. If they would have guarantee me a spot in Ortho...then I might have stick with it! hahaha...but I would rather jump off a bridge or get ran over by a truck ten times than be a general dentist! Orthodontist would be alright..but general dentist? HELL NO. I don't care if it pays 10 million a year.

If I can have a do over...I would become a weather girl on TV...I might have became a pharm sales rep instead of going into pharmacy or I might have went into marketing or some other form of sales job.



What do you do? Are you a pharmacist now?

I can't imagine anyone going into dentistry or pharmacy if they are already rich themselves. Hell, if I was already rich....I would just find a way to make my money GROW and live on the interest alone forever! I would never go into dentistry or pharmacy.

Thanks for the compliment though. I worked very hard in undergrad and got really good grades and test scores etc. Which made me very competitive for dent, med, pharm, whatever. I could do anything I want b/c I worked hard for my grades. I have a degree in Chemistry. I got into UPenn as well, but I hate philly so I didn't go there.

So what do you do?

I'm still in undergrad, but let's just say money isn't a concern for me. Money is easy to make tbh.. By leaving pharmacy, I meant not pursuing it. I was a pharm tech for a good year, volunteered, had a pretty good grasp of the field. I'm not into it.


Yeah well, that's hard to explain. I wouldn't be satisfied with just being rich and doing nothing, simply from direct experience and exposure. All I can say is that the studies show that after 70k, money becomes arbitrary.

With your drive, you could've probably landed a derm residency. I think that would suit you. Good pay and quiet.


I recommend this for anyone going into something just for money:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Rich
 
I just watched a million dollar listing last night season 5 and now I am dying for a 3.5 mil house in LA.😎
 
I'm still in undergrad, but let's just say money isn't a concern for me. Money is easy to make tbh.. By leaving pharmacy, I meant not pursuing it. I was a pharm tech for a good year, volunteered, had a pretty good grasp of the field. I'm not into it.


Yeah well, that's hard to explain. I wouldn't be satisfied with just being rich and doing nothing, simply from direct experience and exposure. All I can say is that the studies show that after 70k, money becomes arbitrary.

With your drive, you could've probably landed a derm residency. I think that would suit you. Good pay and quiet.


I recommend this for anyone going into something just for money:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Rich

You were born rich, but you have the desire to help people. Is that what you are trying to tell me?

If money is not an object to you and you are born with tons of it and you truely love to help people etc. Go to medical school.

Some (NOT all) people that go into medical school have the passion to help people and really enjoy it. If that's your case I recommend that for you.

People do NOT enjoy dentistry! :laugh: If they tell you that they are lying out of their asses. People go into dentistry for money. If you really want to HELP people then medical school is more for you.

I rather get hit by a truck 100000X then go to medical school. But the best speciality to get into is radiology. I would prefer that over dermatology.

You should start going on the Pre-med forums. If you really want to help people, then go there. 🙂

I doubt they have ever been grouped together like that before!

I am use to being group under HOT and SMART and TOTALLY AMAZING. That's where I fit in. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they not like each other?

I love Z. He is the coolest guy ever. He first message me in 2009 and ask me the same question you ask me about dental school! :laugh:

And we became good friends after that. I have his phone number and seen pictures of his house, porche, wife and 2 kids. 🙂
 
I told you, it can't be explained. I have a lot of other goals. i enjoy dentistry. I'm not planning on just practicing forever. I'll teach and do other things. People go into dentistry to "help" people too. If I wanted to "help people" (whatever that means) I'd become a firefighter.


The truth is powerful.

But good luck in pharmacy school! Sorry for de-railing your thread OP.
 
Do they not like each other?

It's just that Z is a fairly well respected member of the forum and a pharmacist. His posting style/personality is completely different from SHC's. I would not group them together in my mind at all.

I am use to being group under HOT and SMART and TOTALLY AMAZING. That's where I fit in. 😉

Well, now it makes sense. 😉

I had no idea you two were such good friends though. Maybe he will have a job for you when the time comes?
 
It's just that Z is a fairly well respected member of the forum and a pharmacist. His posting style/personality is completely different from SHC's. I would not group them together in my mind at all.



Well, now it makes sense. 😉

I had no idea you two were such good friends though. Maybe he will have a job for you when the time comes?

Well from my perspective, they're both hard working, informed, and intelligent people. I can't speak on behalf of the forum, just me. I'd throw them both up with LizzyM, DocToothache, and the rest of em!
 
I told you, it can't be explained. I have a lot of other goals. i enjoy dentistry. I'm not planning on just practicing forever. I'll teach and do other things. People go into dentistry to "help" people too. If I wanted to "help people" (whatever that means) I'd become a firefighter.


The truth is powerful.

But good luck in pharmacy school! Sorry for de-railing your thread OP.

Well, if you really love dentistry (I honestly have never met anyone that really love it.) then I think you should do that! 🙂

If/when you decide to apply to dental school feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the schools or application process.

Thanks. I think I'll try for a managed care residency and see from there. I hope to get a PBM position.

It's just that Z is a fairly well respected member of the forum and a pharmacist. His posting style/personality is completely different from SHC's. I would not group them together in my mind at all.



Well, now it makes sense. 😉

I had no idea you two were such good friends though. Maybe he will have a job for you when the time comes?

We aren't really good friends. We are just friends on this forum. He is from Dallas, TX and just moved to Cally. And I am from Atlanta, GA. So we never met in person.

I would LOVE it if he can hook me up with one of his $89/hr jobs! :meanie:

Well from my perspective, they're both hard working, informed, and intelligent people. I can't speak on behalf of the forum, just me. I'd throw them both up with LizzyM, DocToothache, and the rest of em!

Why thank you hun! You are just too sweet. 😍
 
Tuition is high but many take out student loans not just for tuition. Many use it for a vacation, new car, etc. Hell, USC SOP allows you to borrow $3,500 for a new computer. You don't even have to use that money on a new computer. You can use it for a nice vacation and no one will know.

See for yourself: http://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

Then those students complain about how much debt they have after they graduate.