ring, hydrogen, nickel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan says that cyclopropane can be converted to propane in the presence of Nickel (catalyst) and Hydrogen. Does anyone know if this is a true statement??!! My books don't say anything about opening a ring with hydrogen.

Members don't see this ad.

dat_student said:
Kaplan says that cyclopropane can be converted to propane in the presence of Nickel (catalyst) and Hydrogen. Does anyone know if this is a true statement??!! My books don't say anything about opening a ring with hydrogen.

Hmm... That's new to me too. But it might just work due to all that angle and steric strain present in that ring. :D :D

cowsgomoo said:
Hmm... That's new to me too. But it might just work due to all that angle and steric strain present in that ring. :D :D

Yup, that's got to be due to angle strain...can't find anything in my book about it either though.

mochafreak said:
Yup, that's got to be due to angle strain...can't find anything in my book about it either though.

That was question #89 on kaplan's midterm:

How many structural isomers with the formula C3H6 will react with hydrogen in the presence of a nickel catalyst to form propane?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

I chose A: C=C-C

Kaplan says B:
C=C-C
....C
.../..\
..C - C

My books don't say cyclopropane reacts with hydrogen to form propane. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the previous post, it is angle strain. Anything below 5 carbons will form alkanes.

dat_student said:
That was question #89 on kaplan's midterm:

How many structural isomers with the formula C3H6 will react with hydrogen in the presence of a nickel catalyst to form propane?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

I chose A: C=C-C

Kaplan says B:
C=C-C
....C
.../..\
..C - C

My books don't say cyclopropane reacts with hydrogen to form propane. :idea:

I looked back at my answers from when I took that and I also chose 'A'. :laugh: :thumbup: