You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
RIP Martin Grabois, MD
Started by drusso
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He was very kind and easy going but definitely helped his program grow and the field grow
Not a malignant type of director. He was easy to approach.
He was very active in his local community and many knew him well due to his local community contributions and activities
Not a malignant type of director. He was easy to approach.
He was very active in his local community and many knew him well due to his local community contributions and activities
Seems like he died from complications due to PSP. That's an awful and torturous way to go. A lesser-known neurodegenerative disorder but seems like it's occurring with an increase in frequency. I hope someone figures out what it's correlated with. I know it well.
Are you willing to see his patients? Because the ones that tried to filter to me the last few years were routinely on MEDs >90 mixed with healthy smattering of benzodiazepines. Some of them filling 240 hydrocodone a month like clockwork. Review of records was like reading a Word document. So if you’re willing to see them I am happy to send them your way. Had no idea he was supposed to be an upstanding physician.He was very kind and easy going but definitely helped his program grow and the field grow
Not a malignant type of director. He was easy to approach.
He was very active in his local community and many knew him well due to his local community contributions and activities
he was my program director when jsaul and I were in residency. He was friendly and approachable and will be missed. I cant speak for his skills because i never rotated with him. He was not very procedure oriented iirc. It was mostly medication management..... and he had lifetime board seats iirc.
I remember meeting him at SIS or AAMPR years ago. I was on the AAPMR Resident and fellow board back then. I was behind him in line at bar/appetizer thing. He turned around and shook my hand and said, " Hi, I'm Marty" We talked for 5 minutes. I then saw his nametag and I was like, I have your book. Cool stuff.
it comes in threes.....On a related note, RIP Gerry Malanga and Rob Gotlin
I think in our culture, when you get sick, you're supposed to be stoic and not disturb others. Kind of a shame.He was committed. A lot of people didn’t even know he was sick. He was battling some kind of sarcoma for years I believe
Agreed.I think in our culture, when you get sick, you're supposed to be stoic and not disturb others. Kind of a shame.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this is poor form. If the thread was about his practicing habits, then sure go ahead and criticize however desired... But it isn't.Are you willing to see his patients? Because the ones that tried to filter to me the last few years were routinely on MEDs >90 mixed with healthy smattering of benzodiazepines. Some of them filling 240 hydrocodone a month like clockwork. Review of records was like reading a Word document. So if you’re willing to see them I am happy to send them your way. Had no idea he was supposed to be an upstanding physician.
I think this is poor form. If the thread was about his practicing habits, then sure go ahead and criticize however desired... But it isn't.
It also makes you wonder how others will remember YOUR practice habits when you're gone.
It also makes you wonder how others will remember YOUR practice habits when you're gone.
“Regret is something you’ve got to just live with, you can’t drink it away. You can’t run away from it. You can’t trick yourself out of it. You’ve just got to own it.” -Anthony Bourdain
nice quote.“Regret is something you’ve got to just live with, you can’t drink it away. You can’t run away from it. You can’t trick yourself out of it. You’ve just got to own it.” -Anthony Bourdain
A bit tarnished though by the same man not being able to live with his own regrets.
Not much of a legacy for any of us…..and I don’t think Marty would careIt also makes you wonder how others will remember YOUR practice habits when you're gone.
that's exactly what i was going to saynice quote.
A bit tarnished though by the same man not being able to live with his own regrets.
that's exactly what i was going to say
but drives home how hard it is to work through, it can get even the best of us when we are at our lowest
I knew martin for years, did a research fellowship in his department, he interviewed me for residency as well, however i do not agree his principles of pain management, i think he is a good and straightforward guy, RIP!
Can you elaborate?
There were a lot of “invisible illness” patients left orphaned when he retired. You can be very kind to your patients while you are practicing, but it’s so difficult for them when you retire. It’s just the reality of that kind of pain management. I will say having exposure to this when you’re starting out in pain management helps you develop your own principles and boundaries.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 7K