Rise and boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see Betsy Bennet's article in the AJCP proving that there is a direct correlation between your score on the RISE exam and your pass rate on the ABP exam?

THat stuff gets asked about a lot, so there you have it. Peer reviewed literature validates RISE.

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to know the PPV and the NPV for a given cutoff RISE score.

I just want to know the PPV and the NPV for a given cutoff RISE score.

common sense would have it that those who do better on an in service exam do better on the boards. i don't think we need two reviewers and an editor to discover this shocker.

think about it: if you are motivated to read during residency (which got you good rise scores), you are probably motivated to study for your boards and already have a knowledge advantage over those who bombed the in service.

im just sayin..

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the RISE score cutoff they used? 500?

What was the RISE score cutoff they used? 500?

In one aspect of the study, they broke down the overall RISE scores of senior residents into quartiles and looked at the subsequent pass rates for AP and CP board exams. Generally, those whose overall RISE scores were in the 3rd quartile or higher had at least an 86-94% chance of passing all ABP certifying examinations (97-100% for those in the top quartile). For those that scored in the bottom quartile, only 46-66% passed all their ABP exams. So the bottom line seems to be "stay out of the bottom quartile for your overall RISE score when you are a senior resident."

Although, that would have been considered sound advice even before this study was done.

And for 50th percentile cutoffs . . . . for 2008 532 defined the very bottom of the 2nd quartile, while 500 defined the very bottom of the 2nd quartile in 2009.

Last edited:
It is really not that profound of a conclusion. If you scraped by on the boards you probably scraped by on rise and you probably scraped by on usmle and you were probably on the lower end of the mcat compared to your peers in med school.

Those tests are a measue partly of your intelligence and partly of your ability to grind it out and work hard. Both are personality traits which cannot really be changed all that much. Of course there will be a direct correlation from test to test.

abstracts like these get accepted??
guess i have more ideas for future publications...

abstracts like these get accepted??
guess i have more ideas for future publications...

It also helps when your name is Betsey Bennett. Article is attached

Attachments

• rise.pdf
    359.6 KB · Views: 65
It also helps when your name is Betsey Bennett. Article is attached

Thanks for the article.
It will be interesting to see the data on recertifications.

Also does anyone have the trends for the % who failed the board exam?