RISE Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EtOHWithdrawal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what these RISE results mean? Do the numbers actually translate to a projected score on the boards? Or is it just a method of comparison across the years?
I guess my real question is, would this tell you if you would pass the boards (or provide a likelihood of passing the boards)?
I assume if you hit the average mark or better in most categories, you are doing okay...
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any idea what these RISE results mean? Do the numbers actually translate to a projected score on the boards? Or is it just a method of comparison across the years?
I guess my real question is, would this tell you if you would pass the boards (or provide a likelihood of passing the boards)?
I assume if you hit the average mark or better in most categories, you are doing okay...
Any thoughts?

I woke up.

Checked email.

Digested my score result.

Run to SDN to post.

You beat me to it.

What is the point of giving us a 'list of items that you have missed' on your RISE exam? I mean... what's the point of telling me that I missed question number 2, 9, ...etc, if I don't remember what the questions were? Is there a way to find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a list of item descriptors that you can get from the ASCP website. There is a link to it in your score report. You won't get the actual questions, but the description is supposed to give you an idea of the topic you missed (and perhaps enough of a memory jog to remember the question).

As for correlation with board passing, this is discussed every year and who knows. Perhaps there is data that supports a correlation. I've been told that scores above 500 are suggestive of future success on the boards. I have no idea if this is true. I did pretty well as a PGY 3 this year, and it hasn't made me feel any more secure about boards.

All I received via email was my Missed Items Report. Is there also supposed to be a score report (with something useful like my actual score)?

What is the point of giving us a 'list of items that you have missed' on your RISE exam? I mean... what's the point of telling me that I missed question number 2, 9, ...etc, if I don't remember what the questions were? Is there a way to find out?

Three words dude: Screen capture software.

I think my standardized test taking skillz keep getting better with age-- I know for a fact I didn't learn any chemistry, lab management, or transufusion medicine this year, so there's no possible way I could attribute my test results to knowledge alone. Hopefully this trend will continue with Step 3 happening in about 9 days. Right now I definitely have beer potomania.

First RISE, quick and slightly obvious question, so apologies. 'Your score' is how you actually performed, and 'Overall' = average of all the years together? (Didn't actually come out, as tried it, but close.)

Screen capture software.

You'll have to tell us which ones work w/out crashing the exam. One of the fellows tried to use a program that was successful during a prior year, but it doesn't work any more.

The RISE really sucks now that ASCP has gone paperless. Pre-2002, you could get the actual questions & answers. Providing a list of topics & references is kind of useless.

----- Antony

You'll have to tell us which ones work w/out crashing the exam. One of the fellows tried to use a program that was successful during a prior year, but it doesn't work any more.

The RISE really sucks now that ASCP has gone paperless. Pre-2002, you could get the actual questions & answers. Providing a list of topics & references is kind of useless.

----- Antony

You terd nuggets have time to screen capture during your exam. Is that not illegal? Wow....

Oh no! I tanked on the "Special Topics" - I seem to have actually LOST information from 1st year which is interesting because I randomly guessed at the answers first year which means I am now officially dumber than a monkey.

I'm sure percentile scores exist somewhere, but I don't know that they can be extrapolated from the 3 digit scores we get. Honestly, I have no idea what these numbers mean...kind of like the USMLE. I have no idea what that 3 digit score means either. Maybe someone could enlighten us. Just look at how you compare to the averages for your year and how well you are doing overall as you move through residency. Ideally there would be an upward trend. Don't get too bent out of shape over individual sections like Special Techniques though...they can be quite random.

Haha, I tanked on lab management (relatively). The more I learn and read about lab management the less I understand how to answer the questions they give you. I feel like I can answer every question pretty well, but it's next to impossible to pick which one of the responses they actually want you to answer.

I don't know how the 3 digit score is calculated either. I do know that the maximum three digit score you can get on any one section is 999. However, I have never seen a score more than 650 but less than 999 on a section.

There sort of is a percentile, because they provide you with the scores for residents at each level of training. So, if you beat the number for fourth year residents and you are a fourth year resident, you probably got over 50th percentile. That's a guess though.

Members don't see this ad :)
But people shouldn't concern themselves with percentiles and the RISE probably shouldn't even report them as, unlike the USMLE, test taking conditions aren't uniform. Some people take it all on one day with a proctor and others just do bits of it at home when they are fresh and have time for it.

I don't know how the 3 digit score is calculated either. I do know that the maximum three digit score you can get on any one section is 999. However, I have never seen a score more than 650 but less than 999 on a section.

i am a PGY1 and scored 621 on a section.

i am a PGY1 and scored 621 on a section.

I am a PGY-1 too. My BB score is 653. I took one month BB course at NYBC in the first month of my rotation, and then I had 2 months BB rotation. I know I will forget most of the staffs next year.

I am a PGY-1 too. My BB score is 653. I took one month BB course at NYBC in the first month of my rotation, and then I had 2 months BB rotation. I know I will forget most of the staffs next year.

you have three months of BB as PGY1?????????????

Either you are typing very fast or quite possibly English is your second language.
If the latter is true and you did not have a reference book open while taking the test that number (653) is truly impressive indeed.

Either you are typing very fast or quite possibly English is your second language.
If the latter is true and you did not have a reference book open while taking the test that number (653) is truly impressive indeed.

What do you mean?:rolleyes:

I truely got 653 in BB, not typo. But other subjects are no good. We took the exam in library computer room, and the director was always sitting in the room to monitor the exam. No body used reference book, and nobody dared to use reference book! seriously!

Some of the PGY1 residents rotate in BB for 2 months, some even for 4 months in the first year.:laugh:

He said that because you said "forget most of the staffs"...

653 is impressive no matter how you look at it...

I just wonder how these things are scored. I would love to see the statistical details. According to the averages, I did pretty well in a few sections, but when I looked at the questions I'd missed in that section it seemed like a fairly large number... doesn't really add up to a good score. Leaves me confuzzled.

I truely got 653 in BB, not typo. But other subjects are no good. We took the exam in library computer room, and the director was always sitting in the room to monitor the exam. No body used reference book, and nobody dared to use reference book! seriously!

Some of the PGY1 residents rotate in BB for 2 months, some even for 4 months in the first year.:laugh:

You should consider becoming a Blood Banker. Very nice !!!:thumbup:

The highest score on a section that I've personally heard of was an 811 on surg path this year.

The highest score on a section that I've personally heard of was an 811 on surg path this year.

That is sky high... maybe the dude that told me he got a 760 in cyto was not BSing.

To all of the first-year residents who did fantastically on a particular section (e.g. TMS), congrats...really...just remember that now your program director will expect the same out of you next year...actually, they'll expect you to improve. Keep up the good work...and good luck :)

Like I said, you can get up to 999. How many questions wrong on the surg path section was an 811? I'm curious how they score things. A 999 was 0 wrong.

I think my first year I did really well on forensics, and have gone down every year since. For some odd reason I did well on cytology too. Other than surg path, my highest scores are always in hemepath, immunopath, and blood bank, which is odd because I never feel like I have a good handle on blood bank. It's like the opposite of coag, which I feel like I understand well until I take the test.

Like I said, you can get up to 999. How many questions wrong on the surg path section was an 811? I'm curious how they score things. A 999 was 0 wrong.

I think my first year I did really well on forensics, and have gone down every year since. For some odd reason I did well on cytology too. Other than surg path, my highest scores are always in hemepath, immunopath, and blood bank, which is odd because I never feel like I have a good handle on blood bank. It's like the opposite of coag, which I feel like I understand well until I take the test.

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask. It couldn't have been many. I was really happy with my scores until I saw how many questions I actually missed. Ouch.

Yeah I know, I missed like 8 lab management questions in a row. When I looked up the question topics for the ones I missed, there were also a lot of questions that I missed on things I understand pretty well. That's kind of irritating.

I got 675 on forensics and missed 3 questions only. How the heck does that work if the top score is 999? Is 999 the top score for every section or does it vary?
Also, I think that when people make great scores on something they haven't had, it shows that the RISE isn't a very good test. I don't think it is a really good measure of where we stand.

It's probably like the SAT - I got one math question wrong when I took it and it cost me 30 points, but you basically got 400 points for filling in your name correctly. One question wrong is worth a lot of points, second one wrong is still a lot but less than the first, etc etc. I presume 999 is the top score for other areas also. I dunno, apart from surg path I didn't really have any blocks where I only got one or two wrong.

I got 10 Forensics Qs wrong and scored a 496, but 9 cytopath for a 546. My 11 wrong in TM was good for a 607. My "favorite" part was lab admin in which I only got 8/19 correct, that was good for a 434.

Maybe different questions are scored differently also, not sure.

It makes sense if you think of it in terms of standard deviation, averages, and outliers.

The RISE is not a good indicator of anything. (ok maybe with the exception of the scores above 500 correlating well with passing the AP/CP boards) Why?

1) The testing conditions are not standardized (i.e. people do not take it at the same time under the same conditions. some people take it at home, some in groups, some with a rosai text and 5 google windows open).

2) Some people prepare rigorously for the RISE (usually the people who have issues). I believe in taking it, as is, no preparation and see what you know and what you do not know. Use it as a guide and not an indicator of the quality of resident you are. Obviously for the AP/CP exam you will prepare extensively.

3) Exactly what was mentioned above. There are too few questions to make it statistically meaningful. I did not have a cytopathology rotation my first year of training, basically did not know a thing about it, and scored a 580. At that time, I knew the RISE was a joke. The reverse is also true. I had 4 weeks of forensics and felt I had a good understanding of the concepts and scored a 430. Is it really an accurate indicator of what you know? Please do not post a paper or poster by someone with a vested interest in validating the RISE.

Just another exam to make money on and please do not get me started on recertifying exams.

Please do not post a paper or poster by someone with a vested interest in validating the RISE.

Just another exam to make money on and please do not get me started on recertifying exams.

Why would you not want to see all the scientific documents published validating the RISE??:D

Are there any?

I got 675 on forensics and missed 3 questions only. How the heck does that work if the top score is 999? Is 999 the top score for every section or does it vary?
Also, I think that when people make great scores on something they haven't had, it shows that the RISE isn't a very good test. I don't think it is a really good measure of where we stand.

It's obviously scored on a curve. At the ends of the curve, whether it's the top or bottom, one extra question right/wrong has significantly more impact than it does in the middle.

I just heard from someone that they missed zero questions on one section and only scored a 925. This confirms my belief that the ASCP just uses a random number generator.