Rising M3 REALLY interested in OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cholinergic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's probably WAY to early for this, but how does I start to get a list together of programs to apply to? I'm always trying to think ahead (maybe this is too far ahead :D ). How many programs should I apply to? Would you agree to apply to an equal number of community and academic programs? How soon to do an away rotation? should I do that one at the program I most want to go to?

I know I have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone can answer or point me to the right thread. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably WAY to early for this, but how does I start to get a list together of programs to apply to? I'm always trying to think ahead (maybe this is too far ahead :D ). How many programs should I apply to? Would you agree to apply to an equal number of community and academic programs? How soon to do an away rotation? should I do that one at the program I most want to go to?

I know I have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone can answer or point me to the right thread. Thanks. :)

Honestly, yes I think it is too early for you to be worrying about this. Do the rotation first and see if you really like it!!

But to give you a general answer to keep waaaaaaaaay back in your mind :) the type of programs you apply to (academic vs community) depends on what you want out of residency (general practice vs. competitive fellowship, what type of setting you enjoy more) and how competitive you are - though keep in mind these are generalizations. As for numbers of programs this also depends on your situation - your competitiveness, the quality of the programs you apply to, if you are couples matching or must be in one location etc.

As for the question of away rotations, this is something that has been discussed at length here before and I recommend you do a search for it.

But overall - do 3rd year first, ask these questions as you go along and in your OB rotation, but don't rush it!!! Good luck :)

I agree that it's too early. In my class, many of the people who now want to do Ob started out wanting to do something else; many who wanted to do Ob changed their minds. I have met many peds residents who started out planning to do Ob. You will get a lot more info to help you make your decision.

The questions you should be asking, throughout your rotations, are things like: do I enjoy outpatient clinical work? do I like standing in the OR for hours? do I like to make decisions under pressure or do I prefer to have time to think? do I respond to fear and unexpected events with an adrenaline rush and action, or do I get paralyzed? do I enjoy the thought process of inpatient medicine or do the endless rounds drive me crazy? do I most enjoy the face-to-face with patients, do I have a limited capacity, or would I prefer none at all? do I want to see mostly adolescent through geriatric women for the rest of my career? would I be happy never to work with children? at deliveries, am I more interested in mom or baby, or both? You can also find out from interns and residents of all types what they thought about the ob/gyn program at their home institution, although take that with a grain of salt.

I was able to do some shadowing a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to see a delivery. It was intense, but I enjoyed it. I'm not doing my rotation until spring of 2008 but I am looking forward to it.