Rising MD/PhD MS-4 going into path...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weirdsci1985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MS-3 (soon to be MS-4) who has decided on pathology (So pumped!) and I am curious how competitive I will be for top-tier academic programs.
I am a research-oriented MD/PhD student in a top 10 MSTP, with a basic science PhD and multiple first authorships (quality society-level journals, but no Nature, Science, Cell, etc). I have passed all my clerkships to date with good evaluations. My Step 1 score is subpar at 215 (taken in 2010) but my Step 2 will be much better. I will have exceptionally strong letters of recommendation from multiple nationally-recognized pathologists, as well as an exceptionally strong letter from my PhD mentor.
So does anyone want to venture if I will be competitive for programs such as UCSF, Stanford, U. Washington and Hopkins? Or should I plan on applying to academic programs that are also exceptional but maybe not considered to be at the very top of the hierarchy (UCLA, UCSD, Duke, etc)? I should also mention that I prioritize programs with strong molecular and CP training.

Members don't see this ad.

That's reassuring to hear from you, gb. I am mainly concerned about the low Step 1 score, but what's done is done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on selecting pathology, a rich and rewarding career.

I strongly suggest that you work with your school's field specific adviser (FSA) to formulate your rank order list. The office of student programs will have a list of these advisers, or the MD\PhD director can give you a list of names. The FSA will go over all of your credentials in detail and help with formulating the list. She or he can also discuss your future goals and which pathology residency programs will provide you with the best training to achieve these goals. An anonymous internet forum is not the best source of advice.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Welcome and rest assured, you will be as jaded as the rest of us in no time!

Reactions: 1 user
My advice would be to apply very broadly, and see where you get interview invitations. If you apply to a wide range of programs, then start getting invites from everyone, you'll have your answer that you're still very competitive despite that very low Step score. Even if you do hear from all the top-tier programs, be sure to still interview at other types of programs. You don't want to be that person who doesn't match because you got overconfident.

Once you get the invite, the most important thing is to interview well. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Seems like solid advice all around. I initially met with my school's FSA a few months ago but I have yet to go over specific programs with her, so that's probably the next step. Now that I'm near the end of MS3, I am so ready to get down to brass tacks and start doing some path. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is a scope and some glass.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be very competitive at all of the programs that you have mentioned. The advice to apply broadly and then narrow as your interview offers come in is very good. If you are interested in strong molecular and CP training (and can stand the thought of long MN winters), I would encourage you to add Mayo to your application list.

Best of luck during interview season!

I am a current MS-3 (soon to be MS-4) who has decided on pathology (So pumped!) and I am curious how competitive I will be for top-tier academic programs.
I am a research-oriented MD/PhD student in a top 10 MSTP, with a basic science PhD and multiple first authorships (quality society-level journals, but no Nature, Science, Cell, etc). I have passed all my clerkships to date with good evaluations. My Step 1 score is subpar at 215 (taken in 2010) but my Step 2 will be much better. I will have exceptionally strong letters of recommendation from multiple nationally-recognized pathologists, as well as an exceptionally strong letter from my PhD mentor.
So does anyone want to venture if I will be competitive for programs such as UCSF, Stanford, U. Washington and Hopkins? Or should I plan on applying to academic programs that are also exceptional but maybe not considered to be at the very top of the hierarchy (UCLA, UCSD, Duke, etc)? I should also mention that I prioritize programs with strong molecular and CP training.
I am a MD/PhD Pathologist who trained in a combined MD/PhD program in the 1970's at Albany med . I was an intern at U Wash and a resident at U Rochester I also have done fellowships in Surgical pathology at Columbia Presbyterian ( now called NY Presbyterian) and at UT MD Anderson Cancer ctr. in Houston, TX You will be able to place in several of the programs but to put you over the top you need to look at programs that complement your PhD thesis. by that I mean if you are strong in Immune then look at departments also strong in Immune. if strong in Hem pathology then look at programs strong in Hem pathology . it is not prefect and the interview also determines a lot but keep a safety or a spare readily available. I had a friend--true story--also in MD/PhD he had an MS in Biochemistry plus his PhD was immunologically oriented. he applied to MGH when Benacerraf was chairman ( he had won the Noble prize that year for medicine in an immunology related field and had a strong immunologic department ) and my friend did not match .he was a good guy and also AOA. he had to do an old Rotating 9 internship ( what was leftover) and then went to Montreal he finished at Upstate when JB Henry ( i.e. the textbook of Clinical path) was there. so as I say it is not perfect. have a good 3rd ,4th or even a 5th choice it just might be needed.