Rite Aid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working in Walgreens, and they hired me as an intern since I was doing my Pre-Pharmacy studies. They pay me $11.50 an hour. But since they cut my hours, and I'm only working one day a week, I've been looking for another job.

It seems like I may get hired at Rite Aid, but first they are going to hire me as a Pharmacy Cashier, until I get Rite Aid certified and become a tech. While I'm a Cashier, I'm going to be making minimum wage (which I believe is $7.15 or $7.25 an hour here in NY). Once I get certified, there will be an increase in pay. She also said I will have to join the Union.

Has anyone ever worked for Rite Aid, and know exactly what this increase in pay is? I'm hoping it's at least $10 an hour.

Also, do you think I should quit Walgreens and go to Rite Aid? Or should I try to wait it out a little more to see if Walgreens can give me more hours in the near future? Which is the better place to work for?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been working in Walgreens, and they hired me as an intern since I was doing my Pre-Pharmacy studies. They pay me $11.50 an hour. But since they cut my hours, and I'm only working one day a week, I've been looking for another job.

It seems like I may get hired at Rite Aid, but first they are going to hire me as a Pharmacy Cashier, until I get Rite Aid certified and become a tech. While I'm a Cashier, I'm going to be making minimum wage (which I believe is $7.15 or $7.25 an hour here in NY). Once I get certified, there will be an increase in pay. She also said I will have to join the Union.

Has anyone ever worked for Rite Aid, and know exactly what this increase in pay is? I'm hoping it's at least $10 an hour.

Hi,

I'm working right now at Rite Aid and are a CPhT and have went through the training. I'll be a pharmacy student in the fall so I will be classified as an intern then. I'm not sure what the pay increaSE would be, but I imagine we should get at least $10 (depends on your location). As far as the union, I work currently in a Erie rite aid & no one mentioned anything about joining this?!? Anyway I will be transferring to my hometown MD in the summer & will work at Rite Aid there were the pay would be better than Erie. :D

How do you work as an intern when you are not in pharmacy school yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
The guy said "then" which means when he enters pharmacy school he would be eligible for internship which would have to be filled with his state (Penn) and signed by the school's dean. He is then given a certificate stating his new status. Some 800 hours are needed at Penn for pharmacist license application why it's important to pursue certification early on in pharmacy school. This is because those hours are not available in the curriculum.

In other words, you would have to go out and find a suitable place where you can work out those hours. But then again Riteaid is:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: not only because it is such a sad place to work but also they're so close to filling bankrupt with so little cash on hand and such a staggering loan debt. Why even bother with them?

-

Last edited:

OK I hope I'm not confused. I think you are asking about working as a Rite Aid technician and not as an intern (pharmacy student).

I work as a tech for Rite Aid (not certified) and I was also hired as a Rx cashier. It's been about half a year and I am now in the process of becoming Rite Aid certified. They started me off at 8$/HR and I am not sure how much it is going to increase but my pharmacy manager thinks it will be at least 10$/HR. I think a 2$ increase from your initial wage is an OK estimate of how much you will be making.

I do know that Rite Aid accepts both their certification program and your state's so either one would be acceptable. If they are telling you different... I don't know, that sounds a little iffy to me. Also, I am not entirely sure if it's policy to work as a "cashier" for six months before being able to become Rite Aid certified so you should ask them how long.

Last edited:
OK I hope I'm not confused. I think you are asking about working as a Rite Aid technician and not as an intern (pharmacy student).

I work as a tech for Rite Aid (not certified) and I was also hired as a Rx cashier. It's been about half a year and I am now in the process of becoming Rite Aid certified. They started me off at 8$/HR and I am not sure how much it is going to increase but my pharmacy manager thinks it will be at least 10$/HR. I think a 2$ increase from your initial wage is an OK estimate of how much you will be making.

I do know that Rite Aid accepts both their certification program and your state's so either one would be acceptable. If they are telling you different... I don't know, that sounds a little iffy to me. Also, I am not entirely sure if it's policy to work as a "cashier" for six months before being able to become Rite Aid certified so you should ask them how long.

Yeah, I was basically asking about being a tech. Thanks for your help.

How do you work as an intern when you are not in pharmacy school yet?

Not sure lol. I get Year 1 Pharmacy Intern pay.

Do you guys think I should try to stick it out with Walgreens to see if they offer me more hours in the near future as opposed to quitting and going to Rite Aid? Because I'm not sure how much longer I can really afford to only work 1 day a week for 6 and a half hours lol.

Some states will classify someone as an intern as soon as they have been formally accepted and admitted to the school.

Is it a smart thing to do? Probably not, but that's why I'm not in politics lol

I currently work at Rite Aid in Alabama, and my starting pay in 2006 was $7.00/hr (min. wage $5.15). I got my national certification in 2008 and only got a dollar raise, but I also had to become Rite Aid certified. After getting that I make $10.30/hr. This also includes yearly raises (2%) not much to consider a "raise" and I've been with them for four years now. If you are NOT in a pharmacy program you will NOT be classified as an intern. This means pre-pharmacy classes = RX cashier or tech, not intern. Here we have to be registered by both the state of Alabama and Rite Aid not one or the other. You have to fight tooth and nail to get a decent pay and it ain't worth it. Good luck with the job search.

I currently work at Rite Aid in Alabama, and my starting pay in 2006 was $7.00/hr (min. wage $5.15). I got my national certification in 2008 and only got a dollar raise, but I also had to become Rite Aid certified. After getting that I make $10.30/hr. This also includes yearly raises (2%) not much to consider a "raise" and I've been with them for four years now. If you are NOT in a pharmacy program you will NOT be classified as an intern. This means pre-pharmacy classes = RX cashier or tech, not intern. Here we have to be registered by both the state of Alabama and Rite Aid not one or the other. You have to fight tooth and nail to get a decent pay and it ain't worth it. Good luck with the job search.

Thanks for your help. Maybe I will just stick with Walgreens then lol. But I need more money, I can't afford to work one day a week. Guess I'll have to find something off the books until they can give me more hours.

Was it Rite Aid that I saw going bankrupt?
Yeah, saw that on Yahoo yesterday. But then again, they were featured as a business that wasn't going to make it through 2009 on Yahoo Finances too. But they did... barely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, saw that on Yahoo yesterday. But then again, they were featured as a business that wasn't going to make it through 2009 on Yahoo Finances too. But they did... barely.

They most likely won't survive another 3-5 years. I read somewhere that they had around $5 million of cash on hand which, for a company that size, is ridiculously low.

They most likely won't survive another 3-5 years. I read somewhere that they had around $5 million of cash on hand which, for a company that size, is ridiculously low.

lol

Low isn't the word.

What happened to Genovese and Eckerd? Didn't Rite Aid buy them out?

I wonder what they will be called next. Maybe Walgreens will buy them out, just like they did with Duane Reade. :laugh:

I've worked for Rite Aid for almost 3 years. I make $7.61/hour. I'm just finishing up my first year in pharmacy school and have had my intern's license since I was accepted. They keep giving me the run around with pay, and the only reason I'm still there is because it's 5 minutes away from my house and I'm still clocking intern hours.

I live in Pittsburgh. It's a pretty crappy deal lol.

What happened to Genovese and Eckerd? Didn't Rite Aid buy them out?

I wonder what they will be called next. Maybe Walgreens will buy them out, just like they did with Duane Reade. :laugh:

Rite Aid absorbed all of their debt which was a ton yet it really didn't bring a whole lot more revenue to the company. The assumed that they had to purchase them so Walgreens or CVS is, but the thing is neither one of them probably woulda touched them because of the debt involved.

I've worked for Rite Aid for almost 3 years. I make $7.61/hour. I'm just finishing up my first year in pharmacy school and have had my intern's license since I was accepted. They keep giving me the run around with pay, and the only reason I'm still there is because it's 5 minutes away from my house and I'm still clocking intern hours.

I live in Pittsburgh. It's a pretty crappy deal lol.

In some areas, if there is already an intern at the store, Rite Aid will pay you as a tech (7.65-8/hr) even if you've had your intern license for a year or 2. My advice is stick with the job you got. Hey, Rite Aid might be better, or it might be worse. Since I don't see a clear overwhelming benefit of working for Rite Aid, I would suggest to stay where you are and look for other stores where you can pick up more hours.

The money makes sense to me since they are being squeezed on all sides by better performing companies who retain the customers because the services the pharmacists provide and the low prices that the competition offers. Its a cascade you see because rite aid is a bottom feeder and cannot afford to hire staff experienced enough at price levels to beat what the competition has. The hourly wages go down and so is tech support to staff so the stores go to the ****ter. The wages you're talking about is extremely low for a reason.

The money makes sense to me since they are being squeezed on all sides by better performing companies who retain the customers because the services the pharmacists provide and the low prices that the competition offers. Its a cascade you see because rite aid is a bottom feeder and cannot afford to hire staff experienced enough at price levels to beat what the competition has. The hourly wages go down and so is tech support to staff so the stores go to the ****ter. The wages you're talking about is extremely low for a reason.

lol

This post is garbage and untrue on so many levels. Rite Aid is a bottom feeder? Theyre the 3rd largest chain pharmacy, sure they aren't doing great fiscally but to call them a bottom feeder is far off base. Your statement of their prices - they offer 4 dollar generics that match the walmart list, whereas CVS and Wags make you sign up for some membership I believe. Salaries are relative to area for the most part so I won't touch on that, though they do seem a little lower then others.

This post is garbage and untrue on so many levels. Rite Aid is a bottom feeder? Theyre the 3rd largest chain pharmacy, sure they aren't doing great fiscally but to call them a bottom feeder is far off base. Your statement of their prices - they offer 4 dollar generics that match the walmart list, whereas CVS and Wags make you sign up for some membership I believe. Salaries are relative to area for the most part so I won't touch on that, though they do seem a little lower then others.

Correction: 9 dollar generics, if the person doesn't have insurance. If the patient's copay is higher, they have to pay the copay. If the drug is not covered but is on the $9 generics list but they do have insurance, they have to pay the full cash price. This is the official company policy for at least the past 6 months, maybe longer.
By the way these Rite Aid savings cards that give people $9 generics and discounts on other drugs if they don't have insurance, we haven't had them in stock for a while, so we really cannot fill these cheap prescriptions.

Correction: 9 dollar generics, if the person doesn't have insurance. If the patient's copay is higher, they have to pay the copay. If the drug is not covered but is on the $9 generics list but they do have insurance, they have to pay the full cash price. This is the official company policy for at least the past 6 months, maybe longer.
By the way these Rite Aid savings cards that give people $9 generics and discounts on other drugs if they don't have insurance, we haven't had them in stock for a while, so we really cannot fill these cheap prescriptions.
We have no problems ordering more. And we give them out like crazy. It's not just for drugs. It gives people 10% on R/A front end items too. If they want a card, they can have one.

We have no problems ordering more. And we give them out like crazy. It's not just for drugs. It gives people 10% on R/A front end items too. If they want a card, they can have one.

Well I guess it's our district or region policy then. I definitely saw the memo that said don't give them to people who have insurance.
As far as ordering them, if I ever see the pharmacy manager (I don't work on the same days as her), I'll ask her.

Well I guess it's our district or region policy then. I definitely saw the memo that said don't give them to people who have insurance.
As far as ordering them, if I ever see the pharmacy manager (I don't work on the same days as her), I'll ask her.
I handle all the ordering for our pharmacy. You actually can't order it from RADS. The front end manager actually has to do it through their orders. At least that's how it is at our store. Hope that helps.

You should check the e-mails. In my market, I regularly see e-mails for tech hours. Tell your fellow techs that you'll be willing to take over their shifts, if they need to be somewhere.

Actually they recently changed the policy, at least in my district, to where if the patient requests the Rx savings card, we can use it whether they have insurance or not. Also, we DO match wal-mart, target, and any other competitor. And yes, we had to go through the understocking of the cards but that was resolved within a week.

Also, do you think I should quit Walgreens and go to Rite Aid? Or should I try to wait it out a little more to see if Walgreens can give me more hours in the near future? Which is the better place to work for?

I've been working at rite aid for almost two years now, the way it worked for me was they gave me min. wage at first until i got rite aid certified (which took 6 months), then they gave me a 50 cent raise and a 22 cent anniversary raise. I'm currently getting paid 7.97 an hour...which is ridiculously low. I am also a CPhT and have been constantly fighting to get compensated for exam fees which rite aid refuses to do, and i doubt i'll get a raise for being certified. Rite Aid is trying very hard to get back on their feet to compete with CVS and Walgreens better, but unfortunately they are cutting back alot of hours, paying people lower than market wages, and working people harder. Honestly i'd stay at walgreen's and see if you could get transferred to another store or work for your colleagues on occasion to balance out the hours.