RN stuck between BSN or BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anabolism

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
21 years old - Male
I have a 3.83 with 110 semester credits out of 128 completed for a BSN. If that matters at all.
New grad from a prestigious four year university with Associate of Science in Nursing from Ohio. I know that CRNA/NP/PA is not for me and looking back I shouldn't have settled for nursing in the get-go but I was young and thought CRNA was the dream job. After careful consideration and experience in the clinical setting I have witnessed the difference between mid and top level practitioners and want the knowledge and practice scope of a physician. So I'm young and stuck between two options and would appreciate some feedback of pros and cons or what would look best....

Option 1)
-Work as RN part-time
-Pursue BSN will take 1 year (only have a few classes left)
-Do med school pre-requsites after BSN will take 2 years
-Work on shadowing physicians, volunteership, leadership

Option 2)
-Pursue a BS in Microbiology or Zoology will take 3-3.5 years (pre-requisites for med school included in curriculum already)
-Likely not be able to work as RN so my Associate in Nursing will not be used.

Problem with Option 1 may be weak for MCAT
Problem with Option 2 adcom may look down on me not using my RN experience and taking up a spot

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do med school pre-requsites after BSN will take 2 years

You have A.S. in nursing so I assume you got bio I and II out of the way, eh?

I know that most schools allow (department permission required) students to take gen chem and orgo at the same time (that's what I did). So to sum it up, you can get the pre-reqs out of the way in one year.

I don't know anything about nursing, but don't you need chemistry for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to take Anatomy Physiology I & II, Pathophysiology, and Epidemiology in place of Bio 1/2 like some schools. The chemistry was a hybrid intro course to gen, organic, and biochemistry for health care professionals which was nothing like traditional science chem courses. I could do summer courses though for chem and bio.

Do not rely on coursework for the MCAT. The MCAT does not test Biology, Physics, OChem, GChem...it tests MCAT. Use outside sources for preparation and don't weigh potential MCAT prep as a reason to choose one path over the other.

Given your description of the basic science courses you took for nursing, you will probably have to retake these as they will not satisfy med school requirements (you are obviously already aware of this, that’s good).

Chose a degree that most interests you and is consistent with your personal goals. The RN + BS vs. BSN/RN debate doesn't matter a whole lot. Since you are a nurse you will be faced with the potentially tough interview question, "why do you want to switch from nursing to medicine?" (or some variation thereof) Sounds like you have a pretty good answer to this question, you just need to beef it up a little and be prepared for numerous follow-up questions. The whole "taking up a nursing position" topic is only important in areas where there is a nursing shortage, which isn't as widespread as it used to be. If you choose to get the BSN, then you will probably have to explain why you continued with the BSN even though you were interested in becoming a physician (a lot of theory that is not really applicable to the practice of medicine)? So I guess in that light, a BS would demonstrate your direction away from nursing, but at the expense of extra years in college.

Not an easy decision, good luck.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

You technically don't need "bio 1 and 2" for most schools. You need to bio courses with lab. General biology is the standard, but some schools don't do it like that.

I don't think any school will really look down at you for not pursuing nursing. They understand that people can change their minds.

I would vote for the BS because a BSN is a very specific degree. Based on your post, it sounds like you are still deciding what you want to do with your life, an particularly what you want to do within the health care community. A BS will give you more options, in my opinion.

I'm not exactly sure what is involved in an associate of nursing degree, but I would assume you could get a gig as a phlebotomist or something so you can work 1 to 2 shifts a week to make some $ while in school.

I would vote for the BS because a BSN is a very specific degree. Based on your post, it sounds like you are still deciding what you want to do with your life, an particularly what you want to do within the health care community. A BS will give you more options, in my opinion.

I'm not exactly sure what is involved in an associate of nursing degree, but I would assume you could get a gig as a phlebotomist or something so you can work 1 to 2 shifts a week to make some $ while in school.
I'd actually think a BS would narrow your options. At the end of having a BS you'd have no experience with anything and no real job prospects. With a BSN you can at least choose what area of medicine you'd like to be a nurse in, or go on to get an MSN, go CRNA, NP, or whatever.

If you already have the RN license with your associates, I see no legitimate reason why you would want to finish a BSN if you are planning to apply to med school. Since you can already work as an RN, and earn the same as someone with a BSN why bother? For anything other than advanced practice, the only thing you can't do without a BSN is be a nurse manager. Bummer.

21 years old - Male
I have a 3.83 with 110 semester credits out of 128 completed for a BSN. If that matters at all.
New grad from a prestigious four year university with Associate of Science in Nursing from Ohio. I know that CRNA/NP/PA is not for me and looking back I shouldn't have settled for nursing in the get-go but I was young and thought CRNA was the dream job. After careful consideration and experience in the clinical setting I have witnessed the difference between mid and top level practitioners and want the knowledge and practice scope of a physician. So I'm young and stuck between two options and would appreciate some feedback of pros and cons or what would look best....

Option 1)
-Work as RN part-time
-Pursue BSN will take 1 year (only have a few classes left)
-Do med school pre-requsites after BSN will take 2 years

Option 2)
-Pursue a BS in Microbiology or Zoology will take 3-3.5 years (pre-requisites for med school included in curriculum already)
-Likely not be able to work as RN so my Associate in Nursing will not be used.

Problem with Option 1 may be weak for MCAT
Problem with Option 2 adcom may look down on me not using my RN experience and taking up a spot

I would assume you could get a gig as a phlebotomist or something so you can work 1 to 2 shifts a week to make some $ while in school.

He's a nurse, why would he get a job as a phlebotomist?

I'd actually think a BS would narrow your options. At the end of having a BS you'd have no experience with anything and no real job prospects. With a BSN you can at least choose what area of medicine you'd like to be a nurse in, or go on to get an MSN, go CRNA, NP, or whatever.

Many RN's (fully licensed) solely have an associates degree. While his options may be limited with regards to MSN, CRNA, NP, etc, he can still get great patient and physician contact being an RN. If he so desired, he could work as an RN while earning a BS.

The reason why I'm debating the BSN at all is because I only have 18 semester hours left to obtain it with doing the RN-BSN route. Furthermore I know most medical schools like to see their applicants holding a bachelors of some sort and this a quick way to attain one.

I know for a fact nursing is not what I want to do whether it is being a floor or nurse or advance practice nurse (NP, CRNA, etc.). A physician is my goal. I know I can handle the BS, as I've hung with bio and micro majors in upper level (300's) epidemiology and pathophysiology courses and made A's. I'm just stuck between deciding if a BS is worth the extra time commitment to improve my chances of acceptance. I knocked out a lot of BSN courses during my associates because for a while I was looking at CRNA that is why I am so close to a BSN, looking back I should have done pre-med classes instead.

The reason why I'm debating the BSN at all is because I only have 18 semester hours left to obtain it with doing the RN-BSN route. Furthermore I know most medical schools like to see their applicants holding a bachelors of some sort and this a quick way to attain one.

I know for a fact nursing is not what I want to do whether it is being a floor or nurse or advance practice nurse (NP, CRNA, etc.). A physician is my goal. I know I can handle the BS, as I've hung with bio and micro majors in upper level (300's) epidemiology and pathophysiology courses and made A's. I'm just stuck between deciding if a BS is worth the extra time commitment to improve my chances of acceptance. I knocked out a lot of BSN courses during my associates because for a while I was looking at CRNA that is why I am so close to a BSN, looking back I should have done pre-med classes instead.

Would obtaining the BS in microbio require you to take a lot of non-premed classes? If so, I would just finish the BSN because it is the quickest way for you to finish your Bachelor's degree and then tackle the pre med requirements when you can. You mentioned in your first post that you would work as an RN part-time and finish your pre-reqs; I think this is a good option.

However, if you were to get your BSN and NEVER work as a nurse, I think that would be rather difficult to explain to adcomms.

Edit: After thinking about this... if you like your school and feel you can do well there, the BS would also be a very good option. As the people above me said, definitely don't do it for the MCAT prep though as there a lot of materials that can prepare you for it well. Maybe seek out the advide of some med school admissions directors and see what they have to say...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the BS in microbiology would require me to do pre-med requirements first two years and then upper level immunology, virology, genetics, etc. the last two years. I'm leaning towards the BSN and working part-time, thanks for everyones suggestions so far they really do help in my decision making process.

We had to take Anatomy Physiology I & II, Pathophysiology, and Epidemiology in place of Bio 1/2 like some schools. The chemistry was a hybrid intro course to gen, organic, and biochemistry for health care professionals which was nothing like traditional science chem courses. I could do summer courses though for chem and bio.

Can't you use your Anatomy and Physiology classes to take care of your biology requirement? I'm not sure if you can use your chemistry class.