RN to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TR Grant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like to gather some opinions on my current Med school application, any suggestions are welcome!

Nursing bachelors gpa 3.34
Biomedical science BS w/ chem minor gpa 3.87

Current Phi kappa phi, sigma delta tau and sigma Xi member

Worked as an RN at Upstate Medical University for 2 years
Worked on a progressive care unit at a regional hospital in upstate NY for 3 years
Currently working in a high volume cardiac surgery ICU..... total of 6 years of RN experience when I will go to apply.
Currently have ACLS PALS, CCRN , RN-BC, CMC and CSC certifications
Member of the American college of cardiology, promoted to Associate of American college of cardiology (AACC) status last year.

2 faculty LOR, one from a uro resident I worked with, one from a DO PCP I shadowed with, one from an attending surgeon I work with, two from previous nurse managers.

1 year of undergrad micro research with two independent poster presentations.

75 hours of shadowing with MD surgeon and DO PCP
Current member of the local Kiwanis club and American cancer society chapter. Also volunteer for meals on wheels.

Lastly, I have not taken the MCAT, but I scheduled it for April 13th. Averaging 503-505 so far.

Long winded post, but I wanted to make sure you get the full picture. Let me know what you all think!
Best, TG

Members don't see this ad.

I should probably add that my top choice is Upstate Medical University. I’m also hoping to apply to schools like Penn State, Albany Med, NYMC, as well as some DO schools like PCOM, Touro in harlem and Lake Erie school of Ostepathic Medicine.

You’ve got more than average impressive clinical experience to know what you’re getting into and a respectable GPA in your ?postbac and fine volunteering/research & above average work experience. The nursing certifications may or may not draw any attention. Your MCAT could be better and probably should be for a successful app to MD, probably already fine for DO. Best wishes to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ve got more than average impressive clinical experience to know what you’re getting into and a respectable GPA in your ?postbac and fine volunteering/research & above average work experience. The nursing certifications may or may not draw any attention. Your MCAT could be better and probably should be for a successful app to MD, probably already fine for DO. Best wishes to you.
Thank you!

You’re a very similar applicant to me!

My regret was not hammering the MCAT harder; I wish I waited until my predicted score was >510 before I tested.

I applied with a score near your predicted w/ a similar app and got only 1 MD accept, (4 DO).

If you’re chill with PCOM/LECOM etc. like you’ve said, I think you’re great applicant as-is, though!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Much depends on your actual MCAT score. Post your score here when available in May.
Yes, I will. That is really the last hurdle to jump for me at this point.

I'm not super familiar with those schools, but my biggest advice to you would be to look at schools' mission statements and requirements and see which best align with your experiences. I'm also an RN. My BSN cumulative GPA is higher, but my science GPA was lower than yours. I had a 507 MCAT. I focused heavily on my ECs in my application. I was accepted early decision to my top choice, so it's definitely possible even with a just okay MCAT like mine was. Definitely focus on the MCAT because it will make a huge difference at some schools especially. Good luck!

Update:
I received my MCAT results from 4/13:

Total was 504
Chem/Phys 126
CARS 125
Bio/Biochem 127
Psych/Soc 126

I did NOT feel at all confident walking out of this test. My plan is to apply to a broad range of DO schools, and a few MD schools. That said, My dream is to go to SUNY Upstate, their last reported MCAT mean was 509. With my unique application, does anyone think I'm crazy to still apply to Upstate? Any SUNY Upstate students or alumni??

Thanks,
TG

Update:
I received my MCAT results from 4/13:

Total was 504
Chem/Phys 126
CARS 125
Bio/Biochem 127
Psych/Soc 126

I did NOT feel at all confident walking out of this test. My plan is to apply to a broad range of DO schools, and a few MD schools. That said, My dream is to go to SUNY Upstate, their last reported MCAT mean was 509. With my unique application, does anyone think I'm crazy to still apply to Upstate? Any SUNY Upstate students or alumni??

Thanks,
TG

It’s not crazy, but it’s definitely a reach.
I’m 100% in the camp of shooting if it isn’t 100% pie-in-the-sky. I shot my shot and am finishing M1 at a fantastic USMD

It’s not crazy, but it’s definitely a reach.
I’m 100% in the camp of shooting if it isn’t 100% pie-in-the-sky. I shot my shot and am finishing M1 at a fantastic USMD
I’m applying to 9 DO schools, and 8 MD schools. At least I’ll be able to apply right away on May 31st. Hoping for the best!