RN to pharmacist or NP ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did. But techs on other shifts didn't. Funny how there's a saturation of pharmacists but not of techs. I guess you can't hire anyone reliable at $9 starting/$15 max hourly wage. The techs who have worked at my hospital for over twenty years only make $15 an hour! That's the same wage as me and I only have three years' experience as a pharm tech. I made more money working at Red Robins.

We get geriatric techs, alcoholic techs, etc... Hard to get good people when grocery store clerks, gas station attendants, and restaurant waiters can get better pay at the right company.

We also got a pothead tech too, he lost a bunch of narcos over the weekend. Thankfully, the nurses found it lying on the floor of the nursing unit. Totally makes the pharmacy department not look like a bunch of dumbf@#$s.

Wow just $15 with three years of experience, that seems pretty low..
 
In the red state I live, this is supposedly good pay for a pharmacy technician. I assume you live on the coastal states. What is the tech pay there?
i also live in red state.. I remember someone getting hired at $15 as certified tech with little to no experience at grocery chain.. I even know someone who got hired at hospital after volunteering, their starting rate was $16.. Aren't you intern?? Interns are supposed to get paid more than tech, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i also live in red state.. I remember someone getting hired at $15 as certified tech with little to no experience at grocery chain.. I even know someone who got hired at hospital after volunteering, their starting rate was $16.. Aren't you intern?? Interns are supposed to get paid more than tech, right?
Maybe because I work for a big for-profit hospital system. They don't care if you are an intern/CPhT/experienced(I'm all three). I've interviewed for other places in order to increase my pay by 1-3 dollars, but realized they would not have a pharmacist spot open when I graduated. I've heard nonprofit hospital systems will pay more, but with hospital consolidation occurring, I've hedged my bets on the evil two of the hospital world.
 
Maybe because I work for a big for-profit hospital system. They don't care if you are an intern/CPhT/experienced(I'm all three). I've interviewed for other places in order to increase my pay by 1-3 dollars, but realized they would not have a pharmacist spot open when I graduated. I've heard nonprofit hospital systems will pay more, but with hospital consolidation occurring, I've hedged my bets on the evil two of the hospital world.

Are red or blue states known for paying more or less?
 
I think as you are coming from the same background, you really understand how i feel. I may make more as midlevel but i am not sure if i am gonna be happy in this field because we have one thing in common, we both try to void people contact as much as possible. I think that how bad nursing had turned me into. How do you feel now since now you're in pharmacy school? If you have to do it all over, you will still pick pharmacy over midlevel?

I would definitely pick pharmacy again, why? Because in the future we will be getting provider status which would enable us to get paid for our services thus creating tons of pharmacist jobs for the market.
 
I would definitely pick pharmacy again, why? Because in the future we will be getting provider status which would enable us to get paid for our services thus creating tons of pharmacist jobs for the market.
Status: Pharmacy Student

No offense, but you can't offer much in the way of advice on the profession until you have some real perspective.

Provider status is an unknown variable in the pharmacy job market equation right now. Maybe it will pass, then pharmacists will start billing for their services. Which services are those? Hell, I don't know. I don't think the good folks at APhA know either.

You're putting a lot of faith into a hail Mary that has been sitting in committee for years, has a low chance of ever becoming a law, and will have questionable benefits if it ever does. They were talking about provider status and emerging jobs when I entered pharmacy school 7 years ago (I also caught the tail-end of "MTM will create new jobs"), and nothing has come of it yet.

I suggest a pragmatic attitude when making decisions that will affect your entire career. You must consider the solid facts, the known variables. The amount of pharmacists graduating every year has grown tremendously. Tuition is sky-high in most schools, and when you fact in undergraduate it is common to exit with 100-200k+ in student loans. The majority of jobs are in retail while it feels like the majority of students think they will be clinical pharmacists. Consolidation between major retail chains continues to occur, reducing the pool of potential employers and is often accompanied by layoffs. Working conditions continue to deteriorate, and many major chains do not even offer 40 hours of work/week for new pharmacists. Hospital jobs are becoming more competitive, and most will require a residency to get in the door. That is another year or two of accruing interest on your loans while you work for minimal pay. This is anecdotal, but I have worked with pharmacists with both PGY1 and PGY2 who were doing staffing duties. Don't think that a residency will guarantee you one of the fabled clinical spots. They are few and far between.

If you can weigh those risks and decide that this field is still for you, then go ahead. Don't get caught up with buzzwords like "passion" because that is just pharmacy school non-sense. This is career training first and foremost, and all they are trying to do is distract you from the very real issues that currently plague the profession by introducing emotional terms. Don't expect provider status to be the magic pill that turns around the entire industry. Until provider status is something, it is nothing.
 
I would definitely pick pharmacy again, why? Because in the future we will be getting provider status which would enable us to get paid for our services thus creating tons of pharmacist jobs for the market.
Come on buddy. Anybody can see your forum history. No need to deceive this RN when you're trying to get out of pharmacy and into medical school.
:troll:
It's a good thing a physician came down and talked some sense into the OP. Goes to show how much trust (or lack therefore) that people have when it comes to advice coming from a pharmacist.
 
I would definitely pick pharmacy again, why? Because in the future we will be getting provider status which would enable us to get paid for our services thus creating tons of pharmacist jobs for the market.

facepalm.jpg
 
My clinical pharmacist professor that has a Pharm.D, BCPS, BCOP, QWERY, FGHYP, BCPPS, AQ-ID, AQ-Cardiology would not lie to me. Would he? I mean he seems to be living the life. That being said, I do have a dream, I have a dream that one day, despite whatever degree each individual may hold- whether it'd be a BS. Pharm or Pharm.D that we can all become united to fight against greedy corporates like CVS/WAGS/Wally world and take back our profession for good. I have a dream that one day we will be able to use our clinical pharmacist skills that we were taught in school to increase the quality life of our patients and get paid for it some day. Oh who am I kidding, I'm just a troll. #MakePharmacyGreatAgain


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
My clinical pharmacist professor that has a Pharm.D, BCPS, BCOP, QWERY, FGHYP, BCPPS, AQ-ID, AQ-Cardiology would not lie to me. Would he? I mean he seems to be living the life. That being said, I do have a dream, I have a dream that one day, despite whatever degree each individual may hold- whether it'd be a BS. Pharm or Pharm.D that we can all become united to fight against greedy corporates like CVS/WAGS/Wally world and take back our profession for good. I have a dream that one day we will be able to use our clinical pharmacist skills that we were taught in school to increase the quality life of our patients and get paid for it some day. Oh who am I kidding, I'm just a troll. #MakePharmacyGreatAgain


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

B+