RNA Viruses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phnerd1105

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While studying from my TPRH biological science book, I came upon the section for RNA viruses. The book said to read for "comprehension" as it might come up as a part of a passage. Has anyone seen a question on RNA viruses on any of the AAMC tests? I feel like I might have, and I'm wondering whether I need to spend time memorizing these as well. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

While studying from my TPRH biological science book, I came upon the section for RNA viruses. The book said to read for "comprehension" as it might come up as a part of a passage. Has anyone seen a question on RNA viruses on any of the AAMC tests? I feel like I might have, and I'm wondering whether I need to spend time memorizing these as well. :confused:

You mean the 15 minutes you'll spend learning MCAT RNA viruses?
I'm sure it will help if it comes up on the test, at least to have a general idea. Good luck.

You mean the 15 minutes you'll spend learning MCAT RNA viruses?
I'm sure it will help if it comes up on the test, at least to have a general idea. Good luck.

do exactly what they say...look for trends

i.e rna viruses must have a rna dependent dna pol, animal viruses bud off vs bacteria viruses lyse..why does this happen and so fourth)

make sure you get that lingo down too (dna dependent dna pol etc)

Honestly...

Your time could be better spent learning the ins and outs of the aldol condensation reaction or something. Something that trivial is just not likely to appear on the MCAT. The MCAT lately favours more genetics type application problems. Aside from the 4 or 5 really stupid memorization questions, most of them are problem solving, reading and interpreting graphs.
Follow these 6 easy steps..

1)Read through the content.
2)Repeat.
3)Practice passages.
4)Repeat.
5)Take as many full lengths as possible.
6) Kill the m effin MCAT.

No need to repeat after the final step.

Thanks guys! I also thought it was a pretty trivial and minor detail to focus on. I just didn't want to assume anything.