Robbins 7th Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSBMed1

SoCal Hater
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I'm being a dork, or maybe I'm trying to find something fun about studying in the summer, but who else loves Robbins' 7th Edition?

I think they've made so many improvements over the last one, including a 1-2 page blurb on "normal" histology to re-introduce you to the stuff that you've COMPLETELY forgotten since Histo.

So, who else likes the new addition? I think it was well worth the $99 I forked out for it, who agrees with me?

PS, who else had a summer term? I guess its for the better since we get out for the year at the end of April to study for...U-S-M, heck, I can't say the rest. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

UCSBMed1 said:
Okay, maybe I'm being a dork, or maybe I'm trying to find something fun about studying in the summer, but who else loves Robbins' 7th Edition?

I think they've made so many improvements over the last one, including a 1-2 page blurb on "normal" histology to re-introduce you to the stuff that you've COMPLETELY forgotten since Histo.

So, who else likes the new addition? I think it was well worth the $99 I forked out for it, who agrees with me?

PS, who else had a summer term? I guess its for the better since we get out for the year at the end of April to study for...U-S-M, heck, I can't say the rest. ;)

It's ok, but its TOO detailed! The chapters are like 80 pages long. Makes it hard to keep up with the reading. It seems a little redundant in spots, but I guess that's good for learning the stuff.

UCSBMed1 said:

$99? wow, since when did they jack up the price?

Members don't see this ad :)
Robbins is a waste unless you're a path resident. It's like giving a Shakespeare book to a kid in 1st grade. I'm extremely skeptical/envious of anyone who says they read this book cover to cover and actually retained info. Class handouts and BRS were more than enough for me. But Robbins is a beautiful book and looks very nice on my bookshelf. Too bad I never read more than 3 pages of it.

ParisHilton said:
Robbins is a waste unless you're a path resident. It's like giving a Shakespeare book to a kid in 1st grade. I'm extremely skeptical/envious of anyone who says they read this book cover to cover and actually retained info. Class handouts and BRS were more than enough for me. But Robbins is a beautiful book and looks very nice on my bookshelf. Too bad I never read more than 3 pages of it.

YOu're missing out on some really good stuff and pictures :thumbup:

Of course, you don't read it from cover to cover, you read the important/relevant stuff..

I'll agree with you about people who say that they've read cover to cover.. bunch of liars :smuggrin:

So many people said how BRS Path was so great. It is... but then I soon realized that it's basically and outline of Robbins Path.

Soooo... why not go to the source.

I think Robbins is a great :love:

I L-O-V-E Robbins too for obvious reasons, but since I've only had Robbins 6 for a year (paying full price :mad: ), I'm going to hold out as long as I can before I buy Robbins 7.

i read most of robbins 6th ed. when studying during second yr. If something wasnt in BRS as I was doing it, I would add it in. I think it worked out well. And I think I retained alot of it for as long as I needed to (re: path shelf/ step I)

6th ed. was a geat book. The question book was awesome too. I really think path is the kind of subject where if you learn enough of it, you can sort of predict things. I just got a wierd feeling about certain questions etc.

UCSBMed1 said:
So, who else likes the new addition? I think it was well worth the $99 I forked out for it............

How intriguing..........I usually spoon it out..... :laugh:
Yes my Stand-Up career was over before it began
:smuggrin:

I am not sure how anyone says brs is enough for path or similar sources unless you are a completely different learner than me. For example brs will list 5 diseases associated with a certain problem and then leavfe it at that. So if you are the type to just memorize a list of 5 things you have no idea about then your fine. Robbins or a text on the other hand will tell you why having a problem will cause the 5 things and give you a mechanism so you can not memorize it but realize what is going on. To me that seems like a much more efficient way to learn but again some people like staring at a brs book and memorizing it, to me that is painful! on another note, does anyone know if the new robbins review q book will be alot diff than the older one?

Ramoray said:
I am not sure how anyone says brs is enough for path or similar sources
word.

we're required to know much more than what is in the BRS.

In one of my courses (Molecular Basis of Human Disease) at Cornell during senior year in my undergraduate days, Robbins 6th was on the optional book list. there was no main text for the course because we were using journal articles. I remember that some of my classmates actually bought the book. I didn't.

Well, that was Cornell. They really worked me. The most difficult course I had was adult psychopathology. It was heavily psychodynamic and sometimes bordering on anti-psychiatry. I did OK in the course, but I never really understood a lot of the material.

i really like the new robbins. i bought it for the pictures...i like BRS, but the lack of pics was getting frustrating. i really don't have the time (or the attention span) to sit down and read a chapter, but it's great for looking up topics in my lecture notes that aren't covered very well. i debated buying it, but now i'm really glad i did.

Im using BRS path, Goljan RR, Webpath, Robbins Qbook, lecture notes, Pretest Pathphys, Pretest Path, Path Phys for boards and wards. Listening to Kaplan webprep while doing cardio for path. And First AID and Step up. hahah

This sounds like a lot but i just look up whatever i need here. If i fail my path exam; Ill listen to u guys and get the Robbins book. haha

For me the best learning happens when i do alot of questions. Each choice has 4-5 choices, u read teh explanation u can learn atleast 5 things per question. Super Fast learning.

holler

Omar