1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

robbins patho

Discussion in 'Step I' started by aerobe, Nov 22, 2005.

1. aerobe

aerobe Junior Member

Medical Student
    hi friends
    i m an FMG and just wondering what book most of usa graduates r following during their 2nd yr for patho.is it robbins basic pathology(650 pages) or pathologic basis of disease(big robbins 1500 pages) or anyother book.
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kcumbDO

5+ Year Member

I would recommend reading BRS Path and doing the practice questions in Robbins Review of Pathology.

4. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We use BIG Robbins.

5. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most (if not all) schools in the U.S. use Pathologic Basis of Disease (aka "Big Robbins"). If you're prepping for Step 1, I'd suggest you go with the previous poster's advice...BRS path and use Robbins Review of Path Qbook for questions. G'luck.

6. HamOnWholeWheat

HamOnWholeWheat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

For 2nd year path, you really should be using BIG Robbins, IMO. Robbins Basic is Path is OK if you're really having trouble keeping up with the volume of Big Robbins, but I'd really try not to rely on BRS Path until board-prep, as its really no substitute. You have to learn it all the right way first before you can review with BRS.

Anyone try reading "REALLY BIG ROBBINS", the one with the super thin "Bible-pages"?

HamOn

7. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay since me and Ham got the same score I'll have to give an opinion on the opposite side of the spectrum to Hamon's. I hate reading text books and during second year did not open one, and during first year only read some chapters of costanzo's physio text other then that no text books at all., just classnotes and review books.

For path I read goljan's review of path while following along with class, and did robbins review of path twice. I also listened to goljan audio from aug-dec of second year while working out, ended up listening to them 5 times. This is what worked for me.

Moral of the story you have to know what works best for you, if you need prose then read robbins like ham did. Or if you hate them like me use review books. Even if I read robbins I wouldn't have retained it, and on top of that I'm a slow reader and would fallin asleep one hour into reading any book.

8. carrigallen

carrigallen 16th centry dutch painter
    10+ Year Member

There's a REALLY big Robbins? Our library doesn't even have that.. :scared: