Robert Wood Johnson(Piscataway) Vs WVU(Morgantown) Psychiatry Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iemanja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has interviewed at both hospitals, and if they have an opinion which program is better. Any input would be greatly apprecited!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

RWJ is better. Both are solid, both at RWJ you would get A LOT more diversity in patients and cases and be better prepared at the completion of your residency. Plus, NJ is a much better place to live than Morgantown.

What are you looking for in a program? I am not sure what you mean by better. Reputation-wise, both are equally strong, and I think they are pretty much in the same tier. WVU has a very diverse patient exposure as well, do not be fooled by the seemingly rural locale. They serve a huge chunk of WV (remember it's not like WV has many psych programs! haha)...Both places will give you great exposure, and both places have a reputation of placing their residents in top-notch fellowships (that is, if they don't already have what you want there...as a lot of residents choose to stay there for fellowship).
WVU has less traveling than UMDNJ-RWJ. Just factor that in--if it's not an issue for you then happy choosing, either way you can't go wrong:thumbup: !
good luck!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I hope it is ok I join this post instead of writing a new thread- as it seems you guys are the ones who are in the same boat as me. I have interviewed mostly in the northeast US and have decided on ranking 9 programs. I only have one question I wanted to ask anyone who might know - does anyone know the general salary range for UMass? They were the only program that did not give us a breakdown ... I mean I know Worcester is cheap as hell to love in, so it probably does not matter, but if anyone has an idea of the range that would be great.

Also- how important is it for you to be in a program that is unionized?

Lastly- anyone interview at Einstein/Montefiore? They seemed amazing when I interviewed there ... did you guys all get the books sent to you afterwards?

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

-EL Jimador

Worcester may be cheap as hell compared to, say, BOSTON, but it's still pretty comparable to center city Philly or many other urban places. So, it's not quite that drastic... Anyway, I did interview there, and loved it, but I don't recall any salary mentions. I believe they pointed us to a website with the answer to those questions (ie, the resident contract), so maybe another search of their website is in order?