-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Roentgen
Started by beaversham
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've been wondering this as well. The text I'm using routinely uses the terms "roentgenogram" and "radiograph" interchangably, but I've never actually heard any physicians or surgeons using the former. I'm sure it's used by radiologists more frequently since they're more inclined to nerdy tendencies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol, i dont even know how to pronounce it. I have been seeing it a lot in my introduction to radiology text which is by british authors i think. I thought it was an older form of saying x-ray.
Anyways, how is it pronounced?
Anyways, how is it pronounced?
I thought it was a euro thing but then I thought of the American Roentgen Ray Society and American Journal of Roentgenology.
Since we're on this pronunciation thing, what is with "Sahnt-uh-meter". I used to think it was just a weird thing my dad did when reading films, but then I noticed at least a dozen other radiologists and a few other specialities as well.
Since we're on this pronunciation thing, what is with "Sahnt-uh-meter". I used to think it was just a weird thing my dad did when reading films, but then I noticed at least a dozen other radiologists and a few other specialities as well.
what is with "Sahnt-uh-meter". I used to think it was just a weird thing my dad did when reading films, but then I noticed at least a dozen other radiologists and a few other specialities as well.
These things creep into our vocabulary as we assimilate into the culture of medicine. In second year of med school, people suddenly start talking about certain books and lectures being high or low yield. My least favorite is dilatation. I've tried to minimize medical jargon in my speak, partially because I spend a fair amount of time talking to patients and other non-medical folks.
Outside of medicine it happens, too, of course. Being a soccer fan, it irks me to hear American sports reporters pronounce derby as DAR-by solely because that's how folks in the UK say it.
I thought it was a euro thing but then I thought of the American Roentgen Ray Society and American Journal of Roentgenology.
Since we're on this pronunciation thing, what is with "Sahnt-uh-meter". I used to think it was just a weird thing my dad did when reading films, but then I noticed at least a dozen other radiologists and a few other specialities as well.
I hate that. It's as if these pretentious ******s are trying to sound upper-crust by saying "sahnt-uh-meter" instead of the proper pronounciation, "sent-uh-meter".
Apparently, and there's actually an article on this somewhere, the origin for the stick-up-ones-ass pronounciation comes from the French pronounciation: "sahnt-uh-met". I guess it's supposed to sound more elegant. However, somewhere along the line, a few New Yorker-fanning *****s decided to fuse the French "sahnt" with the English "meter".
I hate it. It angers me.
I hate that. It's as if these pretentious ******s are trying to sound upper-crust by saying "sahnt-uh-meter" instead of the proper pronounciation, "sent-uh-meter".
Apparently, and there's actually an article on this somewhere, the origin for the stick-up-ones-ass pronounciation comes from the French pronounciation: "sahnt-uh-met". I guess it's supposed to sound more elegant. However, somewhere along the line, a few New Yorker-fanning *****s decided to fuse the French "sahnt" with the English "meter".
I hate it. It angers me.
It ends up sounding idiotic...like when someone says PIN number
The 'oe' in Roentgen should be pronounced as the 'o' in love.I always thought it was RENT-gen.
The 'oe' in Roentgen should be pronounced as the 'o' in love.
RUNT-gen, then?
"Pretentious ******" sounds a bit strong.
Thank you for your input. How about just "******" then?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad