ROL list question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwizle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some advice. So I applied to anesthesiology and am in the process of making my ROL. The program that I will be ranking has both categorical and advanced positions. What I want to know is, what is more competitive to match into advanced positions in anesthesiology or categorical positions? I just want to give myself the best chance of matching at this program. As of now, I am ranking the categorical program 1 and then the advanced position at the same program number 2. Will I have a better shot if I switch the order of these two?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some advice. So I applied to anesthesiology and am in the process of making my ROL. The program that I will be ranking has both categorical and advanced positions. What I want to know is, what is more competitive to match into advanced positions in anesthesiology or categorical positions? I just want to give myself the best chance of matching at this program. As of now, I am ranking the categorical program 1 and then the advanced position at the same program number 2. Will I have a better shot if I switch the order of these two?

no

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html
This should help make things more clear about how the match algorithm works. Basically just rank programs in the order in which you want to attend them, ranking them any other way just screws yourself over while not increasing your chances of being where you want. Ranking a categorical above an advance on your list does not lower your position on the programs advance list or vice versa.