ROL question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stump

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting to that point of finalizing the ROL. But I'm stuck between #1 & #2. This may be a silly question, should one choose a program that is mid/low tier but is the place I'd like to go the most, or should one go with a top tier program that may be a less desirable place to live but whose reputation is awesome? I guess what I'm asking is does a programs reputation make that much of a difference when it comes down to getting a job in the real world? I don't really have an interest in pursuing an academic career, hell i just wanna get out, start working and hopefully get paid :). thanks for any input....GOOD LUCK ALL with the match!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree 100% with the above post. You should choose where you want to go and not base your decision on someone else's rank/tier system. I was just in the same boat you are and was trying (for program #3 & #4 on my ROL) to decide between the location/program that would make me happiest vs. the program with name/reputation.

I went down and spoke with my department's chairman and he highly encouraged me to go where I would be most happy/fit in the most. His reasoning was that a resident will shine brightest at that program and will likely learn the most if they are happy where they work. Also, 4 years is a long time...do you want to be unhappy just for reputation's sake. It's all about your priorities, though, so in the end you will have to decide what is important to you. I chose happiness, because even the program that I was looking at that had the lesser reputation was still an excellent place for residency training.