Romano or Bootcamp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take Romano class or Bootcamp subscription? Do people use both? if so, what exactly will my study schedule be like while taking Romano classes while also doing bootcamp all day

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t take a Ramano class just teach yourself. Buy the destroyer book plus math destroyer as well as a Bootcamp subscription and follow the schedule on Bootcamp. Most people who do well use both resources. They use Bootcamp to teach themselves and destroyer to reinforce concepts and find where they are weak.

What kind of student are you?
Are you someone who can study by himself or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, im not really so smart ..

My Gpa is 4.00, but I still couldn't do it on my own; this has nothing to do with being smart, it has to do with being organized, or to need someone to hold you accountable. The drive for competitiveness and trying to be the best in class.

That's why I took the Kaplan Course, was it really good? It was Ok, but it helped me to be accountable and boost my confidence as the other students were not that good, and I thought, even the guy who tutored us thought I was ready!

I met a guy last year while I was touring dental schools like Columbia and NYU, the guy was from NYU, he had like 23 AA or so. I asked him how he prepared and he said he attended Kaplan Class, He said it wasn't that great but he needed to be accountable.
So, the important thing is that it
has to do with accountability.

Last year, I thought I could do it on my own!
But omg I wasted so much time here or there, plus we had some family emergencies, so I had to stop studying for months and then started again.

Now, the truth is, when I took the Kaplan course; I was in New York, I couldn't attend Dr. Romano course because of timing, but I still used his materials to prepare lol. I just attended the Kaplan course to listen and add more notes, our tutor was good. I did all their quizzes and I think their tests especially their RC helped me, but overall, I used destroyer and Romano bio notes to prepare.

So, my advice is

• Take the course if you need to be accountable and being with other students pushes to excel!
  • Don't take the course, if you are a student who can study on his own or being in a highly competitive environment hurts your self-esteem.
Oh, by the way, I did use Bootcamp when I tried to study on my own. I like their gen chem, Orgo, and their Pat. They are a good company. Ari is a sweet caring guy. I respect him a lot. I actually still used some of their tests and questions banks before I took the test.

However, since I know the kind of student I am,
I wish I knew about Dr. Romano course last year, I wouldn't have wasted so much money and time.

Ps: If you are going to take any course, my advice is to study for a month on your own, watch chad videos or youtube videos on orgo, gen chem, math ( the tutor guy of organic chemistry is an excellent channel that I followed) and go over biology notes, so when you attend the course, you will understand things better. Don't expect any course to teach you, you still have to teach yourself, but it does reinforce your information, and emphasize the important stuff.

Last edited:

My Gpa is 4.00, but I still couldn't do it on my own; this has nothing to do with being smart, it has to do with being organized, or to need someone to hold you accountable. The drive for competitiveness and trying to be the best in class.

That's why I took the Kaplan Course, was it really good? It was Ok, but it helped me to be accountable and boost my confidence as the other students were not that good, and I thought, even the guy who tutored us thought I was ready!

I met a guy last year while I was touring dental schools like Columbia and NYU, the guy was from NYU, he had like 23 AA or so. I asked him how he prepared and he said he attended Kaplan Class, He said it wasn't that great but he needed to be accountable.
So, the important thing is that it
has to do with accountability.

Last year, I thought I could do it on my own!
But omg I wasted so much time here or there, plus we had some family emergencies, so I had to stop studying for months and then started again.

Now, the truth is, when I took the Kaplan course; I was in New York, I couldn't attend Dr. Romano course because of timing, but I still used his materials to prepare lol. I just attended the Kaplan course to listen and add more notes, our tutor was good. I did all their quizzes and I think their tests especially their RC helped me, but overall, I used destroyer and Romano bio notes to prepare.

So, my advice is

• Take the course if you need to be accountable and being with other students pushes to excel! .

• Don't take the course, if you are a student who can study on his own or being in a highly competitive environment hurts your self-esteem..
Oh, by the way, I did use Bootcamp when I tried to study on my own. I like their gen chem, Orgo, and their Pat. They are a good company. Ari is a sweet caring guy. I respect him a lot. I actually still used some of their tests and questions banks before I took the test.

However, since I know the kind of student I am,
I wish I knew about Dr. Romano course last year, I wouldn't have wasted so much money and time.

Ps: If you are going to take any course, my advice is to study for a month on your own, watch chad videos or youtube videos on orgo, gen chem, math ( the tutor guy of organic chemistry is an excellent channel that I followed) and go over biology notes, so when you attend the course, you will understand things better. Don't expect any course to teach you, you still have to teach yourself, but it does reinforce your information, and emphasize the important stuff.

Thanks so much! Have a few questions for you.

First, did you take the DAT before, and if so, if you don't mind me asking, what was your score and what did you study with the first time (Books, Notes etc. Were they helpful and do you recommend any of them?)

Second, How long did it take you to right this response? Im so curious because it is so organized and so well written!!

Thanks so much! Have a few questions for you.

First, did you take the DAT before, and if so, if you don't mind me asking, what was your score and what did you study with the first time (Books, Notes etc. Were they helpful and do you recommend any of them?)....

Second, How long did it take you to right this response? Im so curious because it is so organized and so well written!!.

To answer the second question: It took me around 10 minutes to write a reply.

I have postponed my DAT 11 times or so:lol:! But I only took the DAT once. I started studying last year around June 2017. Many bad things happened, that caused me to stop studying for months. I then went to New York and started again.

By the way, if you gonna stay in New York. Columbia University has this option where you can get a guest library admission. You pay around 80 dollars a month or 92; I don't remember. They have 11 libraries, but their law school library is the best. NYU also has this option, but they don't have the monthly option, they let you access their library all year round if you pay 350 dollars. I am only saying this because New York public libraries are not that quite.

Anyway, you asked what I did the first time. I Studied biology reading Cliff notes. Then I solved destroyer bio and wrote their notes and Datqvault and wrote their notes. I used Pat generator on Bootcamp and watched some Mike videos on topics I was weak at.

For gen chem and orgo, I used Chad on coursesaver. I solved all destroyer gen chem and orgo. I watched youtube videos on math. I bought both Datqvault ( a friend sold it to me) and DAT Bootcamp. I really liked Datqvault because I felt their tests were more reasonable. I took full-length tests on Bootcamp and my average were 21 or so. I felt these were not good scores, so I postponed my test.

Don’t take a Ramano class just teach yourself. Buy the destroyer book plus math destroyer as well as a Bootcamp subscription and follow the schedule on Bootcamp. Most people who do well use both resources. They use Bootcamp to teach themselves and destroyer to reinforce concepts and find where they are weak.

I have a 3.96 GPA and I studied using bootcamp last summer, I didn't get a great score. This time around, I'm using a bunch of other resources and it's working.

But @Biofilm preventer don't listen to half of the posts here especially the people screaming "don't use this, use only this". Look, everyone is different and if you need a course to help motivate you, go for it. That's the most important thing i learned last summer xox

Y'all can see my earlier comment in the quote by IcyFox. It was unnecessarily rude.

WithLove I am glad you found new material that is helping you. I hope you get the score you're aiming for this time.

Last edited:
@WithLove Your DAT score is often a reflection of your ability to teach yourself the material and the effort you put into studying for it. It doesn't matter how many resources you have at your disposal if you are unable to use them correctly.

Bootcamp works great for people that can teach themselves and the schedule forces the student to expose themselves to almost everything. Having used and looked into other options I truly believe bootcamp is the most high yield resource available. If you don't have the will power to teach yourself then Kaplan has an in person course you can take.

WithLove I am glad you found new material that is helping you. I hope you get the score you're aiming for this time.

Man is bootcamp hiring you to advertise? Dude chill.

Some resources work for some people while others need prep courses. I have friends who used Dr. Romano's prep course and they did great, while others didn't. Same thing goes for bootcamp or any other resource.