SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Roommate or No Roommate?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by daysend85, Apr 5, 2007.

1. daysend85

daysend85 2+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Hey everyone, I will be a first year student at PCO in the fall. I plan on getting a roommate, but I was wondering what your opinions are on having a roommate for the first year. Do you have a roommate? If so, why? If not, why not? Thanks for the feedback!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Subiedubie

Subiedubie Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2005
    ^^^Well, I'm not attending PCO but will be going to Nova this coming August and I plan on having one roomate. I think the pros of having a roomate outweigh the potential cons. Since I don't know a single soul in Florida I think having a roomate will be a good decision both socially and financially. I just hope I don't end up with a pothead or someone who parties too much.:scared:

4. fonziefonz

fonziefonz 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I need a roommate too!

5. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Daysend85...Have you ever been in a situation where you have lived with a roommate, other than living in an undergraduate dormitory? My take is this, the first year of optometry school is probably going to be fairly difficult and time consuming, and chances are you won't be spending much time in your apartment. Is it worth spending an extra 200-300 dollars for your own place when your priority should be finishing your first year with the best grades possible?

I am hopefully starting at PCO this fall as well and should hear back in the next week. I have lived with roommates and on my own, have had good roommates and ones that were not so good. The fact that everybody going to school this fall (and any potential roommates) are at least mildly intelligent and have enough good character traits to want to go into optometry in the first place. I think a person has to be motivated and compassionate (not always the case) to pursue a career in any health field. Chances are you aren't going to be rooming with a lazy, pot-smoking loser. I know I'll be trying to find a roommate (unless I find a small, cheap room for rent) if/when I am accepted.

Hope that helps!

6. carizma12

carizma12 2+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    hey nova students..

where are you guys living? im going down in june to look for a place, but after talking to the tenant, they said it would be too late by then.. (esp sunforest)

:(

7. JeffChou

JeffChou Your mom goes to college 5+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I personally know many very successful pot-smoking dental and medical students. I also know many lazy drug-free losers. Smoking isn't such a big deal to me, so long as their smoking is under control and their ambitions are intact. What is of utmost concern to me is a messy roomate who doesn't wash dishes or take out the trash! You'd be surprised to see the homes of certain productive, ambitious, pre-health nerds like us.

That said, who has the best roomate from hell story?

8. hfpepperbean47

Apr 10, 2007
    Lol...just a cliche=) But do you know many successful dental/optometry/medical students who are lazy pot-smoking losers? There are successful students who smoke and many drug-free lazy losers...but what about the combination?

Roommate from hell...can't say that I have had any roommates from hell, but I have had some real winners. Two roommates used to leave us threatening messages on the dry erase board, threatening to fine us (myself and two others) if we didn't keep the kitchen sparkling clean or clean up the basement.

A good friend of mine and former roommate has the best roommate story I have ever heard. He roomed with two guys (twins) while we were undergrads at Wisconsin. He went to high school with them...but didn't know them well. He wakes up one night, goes out to the living room and notices one of them sleeping on the couch - naked - clutching a portable urinal. The next afternoon (thinking it may have been a bad dream) he sees the same urinal in the dishwasher. I heard many other stories, but this one stuck out a little more than the others.

9. daleyes10

daleyes10 Nova c/o 2011!

Feb 13, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    So when I went on my interview at Nova, I did ask about the roommate situation. Fran said that everyone pretty much rooms with anyone in the HPD, and most of the time they are happy.

I recommend getting a roommate totally. In college, I have had a different set of roommates every year. Of course I had my problems, but it is worth it in the end.

And about the pot smoking students. I know several pot smoking partying students in my undergrad, and they actually did as good as the people that worried about school too much. Don't worry! Maintaining a goal is not going to be driven away by weed. It is all about the person's determination.

Good luck to everyone in finding a great roommate or living by yourself!

10. DrSpontaneouz83

DrSpontaneouz83 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Maryland/DC
    Yeah, I know a couple of street Pharmacists that are pretty successful and they are total Pot-heads. LoL

11. alohaknight1

alohaknight1 UCFKnightro 5+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale
    For those of you going to Nova, I'd recommend the roomate matching site they have. You can search for people with similar habits and narrow the search to HPD or Optometry students if you want. There are quite a few people living with classmates that met this way. I chose to live with another professional student that isn't in my program so I can do my own thing once I leave school. I live with a PsyD student. Good times :) P.S. You're liable to go broke if you get a one bedroom down here (kinda pricey)

12. daysend85

daysend85 2+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, it makes a lot of sense. I've never had a roommate since I commuted to college everyday which sucked. Are you looking for a male or female roommate? Being a guy, I know that many girls don't like to room with a guy hahaha. Your OAT scores are excellent, congratulations! As long as there are some seats left, I'm sure you'll get into PCO. Like you, PCO was the only school I applied to. I sent in my app by Sept. 1, got an interview on Oct. 20, was given provisional acceptance. Then I took the OAT in the middle of Feb. and was phoned by Todd who said that my scores were approved. That was probably the beginning of March. Good luck! I feel pretty confident that PCO will give me a good education.

13. Subiedubie

Dec 1, 2005
    Just a question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass. But did you really have to post your stats?

14. hfpepperbean47

Apr 10, 2007
    My apologies, I didn't think it would be a big deal. The reason I did is because, like myself, I came to this forum looking at what people were getting on their tests, etc...and found it helpful.

15. Subiedubie

Dec 1, 2005
    ^^No apologies needed. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it. It just seemed a bit.....irrelevant to the discussion.

16. Subiedubie

Dec 1, 2005
    Oh btw, best of luck with PCO. I know the waiting game sucks but I'm sure you'll get accepted.