root canals, apicoectomies

Discussion in 'Dental' started by chappy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. chappy

chappy New Member

Pre-Dental
    i need a little advice. I had a root canal done 3 years ago that wasn't completely successful so i need to have it retreated. My dentist recommends a apico, but ive been doing some research and its sounds like this procedure is now obsolete. what are you current dental students being taught about how to approach failed root canals?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12YearOldKid

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    impossible to tell without seeing you. Your best bet would be to let your dentist know you aren't sure about his treatment plan for you. If you are still unsure get a second opinion -- the internet is NOT a second opinion. :laugh:

Apicoectomies are still a valid treatment option and performed pretty regularly. Some people are leaning more towards implants at this point rather than trying to save your natural tooth after a failed root canal. Both options have merit and theonly one who can really decide what is best inyour case is someone who has seen and examined you.

Hope that helps.

4. Periogod

Periogod Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You may want to do some research on an implant vs. more endo therapy.

5. diagnodent

diagnodent Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Remember a tooths lifecycle

sealant
    occlusal
    mod
    crown
    rct
    new crown
    apico
    ext
    implant

If you are close to the end of the cycle and are young you might want to consider the end result. The goal of a dentist is to make sure the cycle takes fewer years than your lifespan.

6. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Apicos...obsolete...do you work for an implant company or what??? I would like to see some current research that claims apicos are obsolete.

Implants are a lot more successful than they used to be and depending on case selection are great. Apicos are very viable procedures that work - not to mention that they are really cool. Ever seen one? I hope to do a lot of surgical endo someday.

Just because an implant may be your last chance doesn't mean you should jump there prematurely. Implants do occasionally have problems too. If your RCT is failing, retreatment (by an endodontist) or surgery (apico by an endodontist) are both great ways to save your tooth. I would personally do this before pulling the sucker and placing an implant.

My advice...listen to your dentist...go to an endodontist...and then follow his guidance. Good luck.

7. kiggar4l2000

kiggar4l2000 Member
    5+ Year Member

i'm sorry i'm a predent but can u elaborate on the first three "stages"

sealant = composite, amalgam??
    occlusal = in-lay?
    mod=????

i donno what those 3 refer to and would like to know them just as a reference.
    thanks

8. chappy

chappy New Member

Pre-Dental

Thank you for all of the replies. No I do not work for an implant company. That was just the impression I got from what I have been reading online. The endo suggest an apico, but I'm leaning towards doing a retreat. Not too fond of the whole reflecting my gums idea. I didn't get the crown on for over a year so I'm hoping that is the cause of the reinfection.

9. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's the most likely cause. A root canal isn't finished until you have the crown placed over it. There's no reason to start a root canal if you don't finish it.

10. 12YearOldKid

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Seriously. I see sooo many patients who have dropped a couple grand on 3 or 4 endos but never get the final restoration. Then they come to the school 2 years later to get them "filled". And usually there isn't much left to do but extract.

11. chappy

chappy New Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah i was not aware that root canals could fail prior to this.. what an unpleasant surprise :eek:

12. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Ask you dentist what the 5 year success rate of an apico is, and then what the 5 year success rate of an implant is. Then make your decision. If you really want some extra incentive, ask about the 10 year success rates of both procedures!