Rorschach

Started by 50960
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

5

50960

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have my opinions, but I was wondering how psychologists in training are being taught to view the Rorschach?
 
Hopefully I don't get flamed for posting in this forum.

That said, I remember wanting to be against the concept of projective testing when I entered graduate school. I had a statistical, scientific bend, and wanted to keep it that way. But some semesters later, I had an insightful professor who drilled the Exner system into our mindset and training. I was dutifully impressed and became more and more interested in the scoring system, and its impressive validity.

I found the test, both then and now in my psychiatry residency training, to be very useful and an indispensible tool in helping come to diagnoses in difficult patients. While I don't have the time to test patients and score the testing myself now, we do have a psychologist on staff that we ask to perform testing on certain patients. He doesn't use the Exner scoring system, but I wish he did. Nevertheless, we get useful info from it. Just this past week, I requested that another patient be tested projectively with this test. I anticipate more useful clinical insight from the testing results.