ros. frank. ap program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsb101

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the people who have applied to the 2005 AP program, have u guys heard anything back yet??

Members don't see this ad.

i applied 1st week in March. i called the other day to check my status, and they said that i would be reviewed in a week, earliest i would hear is 2 weeks...

GO RFUMS... I am a grad of the program (finishing my 3rd yr in Md school now).

If you have Q's PM me.

Also, I dont know when you will hear. But the program is awesome but be prepared to work your tail off.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Ectopic

Members don't see this ad :)
i am interested in teh program but have a couple concerns: 1) from what ive heard, the school has no hospital affiliate. i was hoping (in whatever spare time i have) to maybe volunteer a little bit at a nearby hospital. also, 2) RFU's curriculum is very traditional--ie does not incorporate hands-on experience early on and is A-F grading, which means AP students are competing against med students who are aiming to not just pass, but get an 'A'. any thoughts?

redsoxfan said:
i am interested in teh program but have a couple concerns: 1) from what ive heard, the school has no hospital affiliate. i was hoping (in whatever spare time i have) to maybe volunteer a little bit at a nearby hospital. also, 2) RFU's curriculum is very traditional--ie does not incorporate hands-on experience early on and is A-F grading, which means AP students are competing against med students who are aiming to not just pass, but get an 'A'. any thoughts?

1) We go to many different places including the VA, Masonic, Cook County, Sinai, Lutheran, Swedish and maybe a few others. The school is also in the process of strengthening its affiliation with the Advocate system here in chicago. I am confused why you might want to volunteer? It doesnt seem to make any sense to me. Definitely do NOT do this your AP year. Your time she be divided only between some time for your enjoyment and the majority of your time for studying.
2) You get hands on experience in your 2nd year and yes the grading is A-F. The point of the program is to see if you can compete with the med students (after all isnt that what you hope to become). The program isnt some BS charity program but rather a major challenge. The real idea behind the program is akin to if you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch.

you are also not trying to just pass but to get an A so it is hard and you better put in some major work.

thanks for the feedback. i hope i didnt give the wrong impression--i am 100% committed to getting into med school and feel confident i can compete at that level. i just didn't know w/the A-F system if students were really cut-throat or helped eachother out. also, i've been working at a hospital the past couple years, so i guess what i meant is that it will be kinda sad to not be around that, if that makes any sense.

I applied at the earliest possible time. I called last week and they said that my file was under review. They did say though that they were not going to start giving any acceptances until sometime in April and they will continue until the class is full and that can be right up until the orientation.

I will say in my class there were some people who didnt get accepted until like a day or 2 prior to orientation. that being said most of the applied rather late.

The APs are generally very cordial with one another and provide support for one another. Some of your classes are curved and a few are not like Physiology and most if not all of your pure AP classes (i.e. no med students in them).

I see I got a couple of PMs so I will go and answer them. I dont think I will be back on this thread. If you guys want the match list for this yr I have it. PM me.

Its a pretty impressive list IMO. 7-8 Optho, and look at the people going into Gas mostly at top notch places. Also 17 in ER :) my future field I hope. 20 in EM last yr. Like I said before, you have questions PM me. 4th yr here I come!

thanks for all your help!

It seems that if you do well in the program there is a good chance of getting into Ros. Franklin Medical school. Does anyone know how the AP program does in getting students accepted into medical schools other than Rosalind Franklin? Is it as good as BU or Georgetown programs?

In my class we had about 10 people get into other programs. The ones that stick out most in my head are 1 to UF MD/PhD, 1 to U wisconsin, 1 to rush. I know others who leftto but I dont remember where they went to. In addition, people sometimes get into other places but choose not to go because they would have to repeat a lot of classes. Good luck guys and gals!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the avg GPAs and MCATs are for acceptance to Franklin? If anyone has been admitted would they mind stating their stats?
Cheers

I couldn't send you a pm bc you're too full!

I called Rosalind Franklin to check the status of my AP app, and they said that they had not given out any acceptances yet, but will start doing so next week.

I applied early January and heard back from them last week...they didn't like me. Oh well!

is it true that if you attend rosalind's smp program that you can go straight into MSII with a few summer courses? does anyone for sure know this or is it a rumor...

palmtree said:
is it true that if you attend rosalind's smp program that you can go straight into MSII with a few summer courses? does anyone for sure know this or is it a rumor...

that's a lie.

if u get a 3.0 or above you will enter ROs. Frank as MSI. Although this is not guaranteed, if you are not an idiot u most likely will get in. If you dont get a 3.0 u pretty much wasted ur time and about 35K :scared: So it is up to you to decide what to do.

palmtree said:

Basically if you are successful completing the AP program you complete about 1/2 of MS1 courses during your AP year. So the AP students who go onto the medical school actually enter the medical school as MS1a (I think the a means advanced) During this MS1a year you complete the 2nd 1/2 of MS1 and the following year you become a MS2 student. So the program, if you succeed getting into the medical school after the AP program, is like a 5 year medical school program where the 1st year is divided into 2 years. You also complete some extra AP classes your 1st year that go towards your masters degree. I have also heard that the AP students tend to do well on boards etc. because of the more time provided by the program. However it is expensive like someone else mentioned and every year there are individuals who do not make into the medical school program. Hope this info helps.

EctopicFetus said:
In my class we had about 10 people get into other programs. The ones that stick out most in my head are 1 to UF MD/PhD, 1 to U wisconsin, 1 to rush. I know others who leftto but I dont remember where they went to. In addition, people sometimes get into other places but choose not to go because they would have to repeat a lot of classes. Good luck guys and gals!!!!

I just got in to RFU-AP program and was wondering how it worked if you matriculated to the medical school after the AP program. Since the year before you took many (but not all) of the exact same classes as the first year med students, how is your first year different... do you have to retake the same classes, and if not are you taking second year classes in place of the first years you already took in the AP program?

If you complete the AP program and matriculate to CMS, you do not repeat the courses you've completed. You will have MS1A (advanced) standing. You just have to complete the remaining courses such as Gross Anatomy. A former student of the program told me that you can just take those remaining courses (and sit on your butt or bring out the gunner in you and study ahead for the Step I), you can take elective courses, or you can do research. You still have to pay full tuition.

Or like many of my classmates and I did worked. For those who want to know I would spend the time working an definitely doing some research (plus if you get Work study your loans will be less). For a lot of different fields they want to see you did a little something and it will go a long way in getting a good Letter of Rec and a research publication.

I just got in to the RFUMS program and was wondering how AP students are treated? Are they looked at as inferior wannabe medical students or treated equally as the medical students? Especially when it comes to professors.

To all other RFUMS students:CONGRATS! :cool: I'll be seeing you in fall! We should look to form a study group cuz from the sounds of it we're gonna need the help! :scared:

palmtree said:

it is theoretically possible if you can get an 'A' in every smp class. this is a lot harder than it sounds. a cardiology fellow i work with who did the smp program and subsequently attended RFUMS (CMS), told me this. he was very close to making it happen but got one B (they have no + or -) and instead was able to work full-time his first yr of med school b/c he had so much free time... i just found out that i got into the program but havent decided if im going to go yet. i should prob write out that check though.... ;)

I got accepted a week ago also and haven't decided if I will go there or not. But will write out that check also :rolleyes:

redsoxfan said:
it is theoretically possible if you can get an 'A' in every smp class. this is a lot harder than it sounds. a cardiology fellow i work with who did the smp program and subsequently attended RFUMS (CMS), told me this. he was very close to making it happen but got one B (they have no + or -) and instead was able to work full-time his first yr of med school b/c he had so much free time... i just found out that i got into the program but havent decided if im going to go yet. i should prob write out that check though.... ;)

Soxfan,

I can assure you that NO one in the last 5 yrs has done this going right into their M2 year. One of my close friends had a 4.0 and got AOA this yr (only 8 out of 180 get chosen) HE DID NOT skip a yr.

Hi,

Just introducing myself. Hope to meet you all in the fall! :)

Hey Dr. Zaius,
I'll be seeing you in fall!

Anyone kno how tough it would be to commute from Evanston? My best friend got into Loyola(Downtown campus) and we were looking to find some place in the middle and live together. But I;m wondering if it'd be a pain in the @ss to go back and forth everyday.

Hi Lumaya!

I live near loyola right now and I would say it would be a pain. Considering that the program will be stressful enough, I wouldn't want to commute that far (about an hour). But that's just me! Plus I think you'd have to take the Edens Expressway up to school which can be jammed a lot of the time. Hope you can work something out though!

QUOTE=lumaya]Hey Dr. Zaius,

Anyone kno how tough it would be to commute from Evanston? My best friend got into Loyola(Downtown campus) and we were looking to find some place in the middle and live together. But I;m wondering if it'd be a pain in the @ss to go back and forth everyday.[/QUOTE]

Dr. Zaius said:
Hi Lumaya!

I live near loyola right now and I would say it would be a pain. Considering that the program will be stressful enough, I wouldn't want to commute that far (about an hour). But that's just me! Plus I think you'd have to take the Edens Expressway up to school which can be jammed a lot of the time. Hope you can work something out though!

QUOTE=lumaya]Hey Dr. Zaius,

Anyone kno how tough it would be to commute from Evanston? My best friend got into Loyola(Downtown campus) and we were looking to find some place in the middle and live together. But I;m wondering if it'd be a pain in the @ss to go back and forth everyday.
[/QUOTE]
hmmm...well in that case...anyone looking for a roommate? F/NS/no questionable hygiene practices (or lack thereof...)Or suggestions on a good place to live? I heard rent's pretty cheap there...

Maybe I should just rent out a room in the library...

hmmm...well in that case...anyone looking for a roommate? F/NS/no questionable hygiene practices (or lack thereof...)Or suggestions on a good place to live? I heard rent's pretty cheap there...

Maybe I should just rent out a room in the library...[/QUOTE]

IMO the best bet is to use the dorms.. they are cheap pretty new (2 yrs old) and relatively spacious. I would do whatever it is you have to do early because they fill up quickly.

http://66.99.255.20/housing/

The Woodlands is also right next to campus but the units there are old and IMO kinda nasty. Some of your classmates who couldnt get into student housing are likely there.

www.woodlandsongreenbay.com

Believe me the pics there look better than it really is. The place is kinda ghetto. and from all accounts their management office is beyond terrible. If you arent gonna do the dorms try to find one of the other places in the area even though it will require a drive and the woodlands doesnt. Of course thats if the dorms arent for you.

If you have more questions contact the school they can help you with your choices in the Area. Here is the file they have on their site...

http://66.99.255.20/housing/pdfs/aprtsArea.pdf

Good luck to you all.

Moniker said:
I want to publicly thank EctopicFetus and TheKoman for being such good sports about giving their experienced perspective on the program and for being such a great resource for us.

I very much appreciate it, I'm sure the others do too!

Let me express my gratitude as well.

THANK YOU TheKoman & Ectopic, you've been/are great help & support!

Special THANKS to Phil as well.

You made/make my life much easier:)

best of luck everyone
daffy

Hi everyone! I just found out today that I was accepted. I am really excited. I look forward to meeting everyone. I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. If anyone has any questions about Chicago or whatever feel free to PM. I am going to move closer to the campus, the dorms won't work for me (wife and kids are coming along) so I am looking at other housing. Good Luck everyone!

congratulations on your acceptance! i'm planning on applying to enter the fall 2006 class of an SMP program, would you mind sharing your stats so I can get a better picture of where i stand? thanks!

palmtree said:
congratulations on your acceptance! i'm planning on applying to enter the fall 2006 class of an SMP program, would you mind sharing your stats so I can get a better picture of where i stand? thanks!

I just PM'ed you my stats / story. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the congrats!!!

HEy all,

So I'm planning on moving in July to the Woodlands on Green Bay and was wondering if anyone would wanna room with me. Its the closest apartment complex to the school. You can check it out at: www.woodlandsongreenbay.com

I know someone who lived there all of last year and he said it was really convenient and rent was cheap. They have newer buildings and older buildings so I'm gonna go check it out early and make sure I get a newer unit.

PM me w Q's etc if you're interested! :p

So I heard that we have to file an AMCAS for RFUMS. When should we do this? I'm filling out the AMCAS right now just for backup schools so should I just add RFUMS to the list? :confused:

Lumaya.. the answer is yes and yes... Add it to the list they require you apply to them. Also, I would stay away from the woodlands. I placed a post about this place previously if you can stay in the dorms do that. If not..find another place. The Woodlands is old, grimey and becoming increasingly crappy. Plus the management there BLOWS. Ill see if i can find my other post and ill repost here. It has some good resources for housing.

IMO the best bet is to use the dorms.. they are cheap pretty new (2 yrs old) and relatively spacious. I would do whatever it is you have to do early because they fill up quickly.

http://66.99.255.20/housing/

The Woodlands is also right next to campus but the units there are old and IMO kinda nasty. Some of your classmates who couldnt get into student housing are likely there.

www.woodlandsongreenbay.com

Believe me the pics there look better than it really is. The place is kinda ghetto. and from all accounts their management office is beyond terrible. If you arent gonna do the dorms try to find one of the other places in the area even though it will require a drive and the woodlands doesnt. Of course thats if the dorms arent for you.

If you have more questions contact the school they can help you with your choices in the Area. Here is the file they have on their site...

http://66.99.255.20/housing/pdfs/aprtsArea.pdf

Good luck to you all.

when does the current class find out if they get in or not?