rosai or sternberg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been answered before, but hopefully considering rosai has a new edition coming out, as a resident would you prefer to learn out of rosai or sternberg? If anyone prefers one way over the other, can you tell me why one over the other.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but hopefully considering rosai has a new edition coming out, as a resident would you prefer to learn out of rosai or sternberg? If anyone prefers one way over the other, can you tell me why one over the other.

Moving to the pathology forum.

I initially started with Rosai but switched over to Sternberg because it is more concise. I dont know how the new edition of Rosai will be?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with KP. However, I liked Rosai better because it was like reading a story book. Also, all of the chapters are written similarly (except heme, liver, kidney and neuro) because Rosai wrote them all personally. I liked that continuity. Also I think Rosai offers a wider differential diagnosis and points out more obscure variants.

Sternberg is more concise and starts from the beginning. It assumes you know nothing, which can be good. I read Rosai first so maybe Sternberg seemed boring for that reason.

I would recommend that you find someone that has the book. Read the chapter on pulmonary OR breast in both, and see which one you like better. You really cannot go wrong. The important thing is to actually read them. They should be marked up, have papers sticking out of them and tattered by the time you get to 2nd year. Get a new version too. It is embarrassing to read an old version and make a diagnosis of "midline lethal granuloma" when you are sign out with an attending.

I initially started with Rosai but switched over to Sternberg because it is more concise. I dont know how the new edition of Rosai will be?

I think this is a good point...Sternberg is good as a quick reference regarding things you know absolutely nothing about to start with, but as I went through my first year, it became a little boring. I like Sternberg>Rosai, but I think it's because I picked it to start with and became comfortable with it. Either way, you're probably going to learn what you need to know, especially since you'll be referring to a lot of additional books as you work through cases each day. The pulmonary chapter in Sternberg is not very good in my opinion though, so if you're trying to get a feel for the texts, don't do pulmonary!!! Breast is okay. :)

I agree with KP. However, I liked Rosai better because it was like reading a story book. Also, all of the chapters are written similarly (except heme, liver, kidney and neuro) because Rosai wrote them all personally. I liked that continuity. Also I think Rosai offers a wider differential diagnosis and points out more obscure variants.

Sternberg is more concise and starts from the beginning. It assumes you know nothing, which can be good. I read Rosai first so maybe Sternberg seemed boring for that reason.

I would recommend that you find someone that has the book. Read the chapter on pulmonary OR breast in both, and see which one you like better. You really cannot go wrong. The important thing is to actually read them. They should be marked up, have papers sticking out of them and tattered by the time you get to 2nd year. Get a new version too. It is embarrassing to read an old version and make a diagnosis of "midline lethal granuloma" when you are sign out with an attending.

I agree you can't really go wrong, and should get what seems to fit you best after looking over some similar areas in the latest edition of each text. Keep in mind there are some other big general surg path texts including one from Silverberg and one from Fletcher, which some people prefer. Rosai and Sternberg just tend to get the most talk.

Personally I only knew of those 2 when I was first shopping right at the start of 1st year. I looked through both and got Rosai -- it read a little better to me and seemed to have better images -- while a co-resident got Sternberg. He liked the relative straightforwardness, for the most part, and tables of Sternberg. I never got used to not being able to skim Rosai for a few key points -- it's odd that a text has so much "information" in every sentence -- but I always seemed to find what I was looking for in it, and I still like the consistency resulting from being written essentially by one person.

I also like the story style of Rosai. Although, I admit that I have not really used Sternberg to any great extent so I cannot compare.