Roseman interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little confused. Wouldn't not having a sim lab be a major problem? Are they going to set up the practice manikins in the actual clinic? They must still plan to have the manikins, because they can't seriously expect students to start off on actual patients, right? I realize that you don't need them your first year, but you would need them eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

By the sounds of it, it's just that the sim lab isn't equipped yet. So in the mean time, they'll use the equipment existing in the clinic + whatever else they need and run sim lab out of there i.e. I think your on the right track in that they will put mannequins in the clinic temporarily. I don't think it's a big deal, the clinic looks awesome haha

By the sounds of it, it's just that the sim lab isn't equipped yet. So in the mean time, they'll use the equipment existing in the clinic + whatever else they need and run sim lab out of there i.e. I think your on the right track in that they will put mannequins in the clinic temporarily. I don't think it's a big deal, the clinic looks awesome haha

Makes sense. Looking forward to checking them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
They offered me one for oct 26 but i rescheduled to nov 16. With only a weeks notice it just wasn't possible to get a reasonably priced flight.

Had my interview on Oct 26th. I was really impressed with the school and their program. I am really hoping to get accepted there. It is going to be a real tough decision come Dec 1. My top 2 schools that I have interviewed at so far are Roseman and ASDOH.

Did they give any stats as to how many people they've interviewed and what their ratio is of interviewees/acceptances?

Did they give any stats as to how many people they've interviewed and what their ratio is of interviewees/acceptances?
I got the impression that they'd be interviewing 300 people total this cycle, with 160 (4 groups of 40) before Dec 1. They have a class size of 80 people so I guess how many acceptances total depends on how many people who are accepted choose to attend.

Had my interview on Oct 26th. I was really impressed with the school and their program. I am really hoping to get accepted there. It is going to be a real tough decision come Dec 1. My top 2 schools that I have interviewed at so far are Roseman and ASDOH.
hey Logs

It seems like you have a bunch of interviews so far. What made you to choose Roseman as your top choice. I understand you are from Utah so u might wanna be close to home, but it's a new school. We don't know how strong clinical it will become and about possible a shortage of patients at the clinic.

what sold you???

hey Logs

It seems like you have a bunch of interviews so far. What made you to choose Roseman as your top choice. I understand you are from Utah so u might wanna be close to home, but it's a new school. We don't know how strong clinical it will become and about possible a shortage of patients at the clinic.

what sold you???

Well, I am not from Utah so its close to home. I have no real "home" so I can live anywhere. I really liked the academic program that they have set up, ASDOH was very similar to Roseman in that regard as well. I really like the whole aspect of unity and teamwork. I like having a Pass/No Pass grading system and especially the Block Curriculum. I feel that I can really learn and excel if I have to only focus on one subject at a time. The idea of having 10-15 finals on finals week does not sit well with me. Some schools have great programs but their facility look run down and "dungeon" like. I have to admit, I do enjoy the "bells and whistles" from time to time. It is true you do not know for sure how the clinic is going to turn out but I am not worried about them getting patients. There are a lot of people in Salt Lake County and Utah County that do not have any insurance and will be going to the school for treatment. People talk about Utah being saturated with dentists, well it is and it isn't. they are just crowed close together in certain locations.

I am a strong believe in you get what you put in. If you want to be strong clinically, than no matter what school you go to you will work your butt off to work on improving your technique and your speed. In most schools, 3 & 4 years on average on see 2 patients a day. Doesn't matter if they have been around a long time or not. Some schools are an exception, I admit. I plan on working hard to try to see more patients but we will have to wait and see. Every school you go to will make you a dentist, one way or another. I do not plan on specializing so I don't worry about school reputation or scores. I want to be the best dentist that I can be and plan to work hard. Most dental students now-a-days are allying to GPR and AEGD to get additional clinical experience because not too many dental students feel like they are ready.
I am choosing the schools by many different factors but in the end of the day it has to be a school that I felt comfortable in, because i will be there for 4 very long years, and in a place that I will enjoy living for 4 years. I am married so I want to live somewhere I want my family to feel comfortable and safe. For that reason Case Western (cleveland), Howard (DC), and Temple (N. Phil) are low on my list.

So there really is a lot of things that I am considering when making a decision of which school I will go to. Which ever feels right in the end, I suppose. Also, cost of living and how much the school gives for living allowance is also a huge part to consider. My top schools right now, though, is Roseman, ASDOH, Louisville, and maybe VCU.

Well, I am not from Utah so its close to home. I have no real "home" so I can live anywhere. I really liked the academic program that they have set up, ASDOH was very similar to Roseman in that regard as well. I really like the whole aspect of unity and teamwork. I like having a Pass/No Pass grading system and especially the Block Curriculum. I feel that I can really learn and excel if I have to only focus on one subject at a time. The idea of having 10-15 finals on finals week does not sit well with me. Some schools have great programs but their facility look run down and "dungeon" like. I have to admit, I do enjoy the "bells and whistles" from time to time. It is true you do not know for sure how the clinic is going to turn out but I am not worried about them getting patients. There are a lot of people in Salt Lake County and Utah County that do not have any insurance and will be going to the school for treatment. People talk about Utah being saturated with dentists, well it is and it isn't. they are just crowed close together in certain locations.

I am a strong believe in you get what you put in. If you want to be strong clinically, than no matter what school you go to you will work your butt off to work on improving your technique and your speed. In most schools, 3 & 4 years on average on see 2 patients a day. Doesn't matter if they have been around a long time or not. Some schools are an exception, I admit. I plan on working hard to try to see more patients but we will have to wait and see. Every school you go to will make you a dentist, one way or another. I do not plan on specializing so I don't worry about school reputation or scores. I want to be the best dentist that I can be and plan to work hard. Most dental students now-a-days are allying to GPR and AEGD to get additional clinical experience because not too many dental students feel like they are ready.
I am choosing the schools by many different factors but in the end of the day it has to be a school that I felt comfortable in, because i will be there for 4 very long years, and in a place that I will enjoy living for 4 years. I am married so I want to live somewhere I want my family to feel comfortable and safe. For that reason Case Western (cleveland), Howard (DC), and Temple (N. Phil) are low on my list.

So there really is a lot of things that I am considering when making a decision of which school I will go to. Which ever feels right in the end, I suppose. Also, cost of living and how much the school gives for living allowance is also a huge part to consider. My top schools right now, though, is Roseman, ASDOH, Louisville, and maybe VCU.
You and I agree on a lot of stuffs.

I too like ASDOH style of learning. (module system, having a test every week, instead of 10 finals in 3 days).
I also have no desire of specializing. Stronger clinical program it is, better for me.
Dental school will be the most stressful time of our lives, yet the most significant as well. We will mostly learn knowledge and skills that we are gonna use for next 30-40 years.

1. clinical strength
2. academic/system (traditional vs. module vs system, etc)
3. cost
4. location

Based on this, UoP, Creighton, ASDOH are my top. You should not rule out Creighton or MWU-AZ. They are clinically very strong. Plus a good place to have/raise a fam. MWU-AZ also has a module system too. Creighton is traditional, but so much cheaper than other private schools.

Good luck to you! When the 1st of Dec comes around, we will celebrate for getting accepted to our top schools! :D

You and I agree on a lot of stuffs.

I too like ASDOH style of learning. (module system, having a test every week, instead of 10 finals in 3 days).
I also have no desire of specializing. Stronger clinical program it is, better for me.
Dental school will be the most stressful time of our lives, yet the most significant as well. We will mostly learn knowledge and skills that we are gonna use for next 30-40 years.

1. clinical strength
2. academic/system (traditional vs. module vs system, etc)
3. cost
4. location

Based on this, UoP, Creighton, ASDOH are my top. You should not rule out Creighton or MWU-AZ. They are clinically very strong. Plus a good place to have/raise a fam. MWU-AZ also has a module system too. Creighton is traditional, but so much cheaper than other private schools.

Good luck to you! When the 1st of Dec comes around, we will celebrate for getting accepted to our top schools! :D

I agree with that. UoP and Creighton are in my tops but I never got an interview from them so that rules them out.

Can someone share some information on what kinds of questions were asked during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone share some information on what kinds of questions were asked during the interview?

It was a very relaxed experience. They just talked to you one-on-one to get to know you and to see if you are a good fit to their school. They did ask about how well you work in groups/teams and you personally feel about programs that emphases it. Roseman is huge on unity and cooperative learning, AKA groups. They also asked what qualities can you bring to your class? Why Roseman? How did you overcome challenges in your life and how did it help you become who you are.

It was a very relaxed experience. They just talked to you one-on-one to get to know you and to see if you are a good fit to their school. They did ask about how well you work in groups/teams and you personally feel about programs that emphases it. Roseman is huge on unity and cooperative learning, AKA groups. They also asked what qualities can you bring to your class? Why Roseman? How did you overcome challenges in your life and how did it help you become who you are.

Perfect, thanks!

I actually got asked 2 of the above questions as well. I was also asked, "If I you given $2,000,000, what would you do?" It was a very relaxing interview, a change from some of the others I have been to. It really seems like an amazing school. I am crossing my fingers to hear from them Dec 1st!

I actually got asked 2 of the above questions as well. I was also asked, "If I you given $2,000,000, what would you do?" It was a very relaxing interview, a change from some of the others I have been to. It really seems like an amazing school. I am crossing my fingers to hear from them Dec 1st!

after paying taxes and their extremely high tuition you would have just enough left to go to mcdonalds!!!

haha it is expensive! But MOST dental schools are about the same price. Alot are even higher. Midwestern, USC, NYU, BU, UoP, UNLV and alot more are just as expensive, if not more. Sure if I got into a Texas school, I'd go there. But as of now its my #1 choice. Dental school is an investment. If your smart, you wont have a problem paying it back.

Based on the numbers, the only schools more expensive than Roseman is USC and UoP. Seeing as how UoP is three years, it leaves USC as the only school more expensive than Roseman after four years (counting tuition+fees only). However, you are correct in that many schools are equally expensive. Penn, Midwestern, and Tufts are all somewhat close as well as many other schools. It's just the nature of dental school nowadays.

but there is one thing that you have to remember.. and that is the cost of living. Some places are way more expensive to live in than others. Utah is pretty cheap to live and San Francisco, way expensive to live in comparision.

I agree, COL does vary by the location and by the person. If your frugal, SF will be cheaper than if your not frugal. But it's harder to quantify that. My statement was just a strict comparison of tuition+fees which have published numbers.

you have yours on dec 2nd right?

Haven't looked here in a while, but yeah. I'm dec 2nd.

And if you want published cost of living estimates I think the adea book has them.

Logs is right if I remember, the cost of living there is crazy low. Idk if it would really offset the high tuition or not though. I'd have to look.

anyone wanna carpool for Dec 2nd. hit me up

May I ask what is the most convenient way to get to the campus? I'll be flying there a day before and staying a night at local hotel, but the public transportation doesn't seem all that convenient... unless I'm not researching hard enough.

Anyone going to Roseman on the 13th of December?

May I ask what is the most convenient way to get to the campus? I'll be flying there a day before and staying a night at local hotel, but the public transportation doesn't seem all that convenient... unless I'm not researching hard enough.

I too would like to know this. It seems like the only way is to rent a car or take a taxi, but both seem like pricey options.

If you're interviewing on the 2nd you can carpool with me and A6. I think my rental will have enough room... I hope

I have a quick question for anyone who has gone to the more reecent interview groups: How many people were at the interview total?

Primary App submitted: 7/25/11
Secondary App submitted: 9/7/11
Interview Invite: 10/18/11

Still waiting to hear back from them :xf:, hope that helps

And my interview consisted of at least 50 people, the most I have seen.