Ross 2010 macth list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igcgnerd

Hawkeye
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ross 2010 match list is up.
http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm

They got a crazy number of EM spots this year. I have just been hearing over and over how insanely hard the match was this year. This list is somewhat re assuring that its not that bad yet. Saw some crazy stuff on there, lots of gas, saw an opthmo, lots of categorical G surg, an ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

Ross 2010 match list is up.
http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm

They got a crazy number of EM spots this year. I have just been hearing over and over how insanely hard the match was this year. This list is somewhat re assuring that its not that bad yet. Saw some crazy stuff on there, lots of gas, saw an opthmo, lots of categorical G surg, an ortho.

As I was saying in a previous post, going to the Carribbean is a great idea right now. Once you graduate and pass the boards, no one will care where you went to medical school - you can be any type of doctor you wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I was saying in a previous post, going to the Carribbean is a great idea right now. Once you graduate and pass the boards, no one will care where you went to medical school - you can be any type of doctor you wish.

I beg to differ. I have no idea what your background is, but this is simply not true.

Looking at the list, there is a single ortho, a single opthal (who didn't get a prelim BTW)

Also, I think there is only a single categorical G surg on the list. The rest are listed as PGY-1 only, so I presume those are prelim surgery.

Most of the matches are FP, IM, and Peds. Most of them are at community hospitals -- not that community hospitals are bad, but your post suggests that if you go to the carib and pass the boards, you can get anything you want. And that's not true at all.

As to the categorical surg comment. Look at the pgy-2 column which shows the second year positions. I count 19 categorical surgery matches. If it was just a preliminary the pgy-1 would show surgery but the pgy-2 would be blank.

Also just noted an ENT match too.

most students placed in primary care and some with only 1 year appointments.

how many students are there in the graduating class? it looks like there are a ton!

with all the doom and gloom i've been reading here regarding caribbean schools and the match, the auc, sgu, and ross match lists don't look nearly as bad as expected... i'm not saying to run off and enroll in a caribbean school... but certainly things didn't go completely south (no pun intended) this year.

Last edited:
As to the categorical surg comment. Look at the pgy-2 column which shows the second year positions. I count 19 categorical surgery matches. If it was just a preliminary the pgy-1 would show surgery but the pgy-2 would be blank.

Also just noted an ENT match too.

My bad. I looked under "surgery", but it appears the categorical matches are listed as "General Surgery". The prelim surgery / PGY-1 only matches appear to be labeled "Surgery"

with all the doom and gloom i've been reading here regarding caribbean schools and the match, the auc, sgu, and ross match lists don't look nearly as bad as expected... i'm not saying to run off and enroll in a caribbean school... but certainly things didn't go completely south (no pun intended) this year.

Assuming that residency spots remain unchanged, it will be a slow process over the next 4 years.

An interesting thing about this list is that there are about 650 names on it. Ross seems to take ~400 students per semester, of which there are 3, so we assume they start with ~1200 students per year.

So, if you go to Ross, it looks like you have about a 50% chance of actually making it to the point of applying for a residency. If you do make it that far, you then have a 19/650 = 3% chance at Gen Surgery.

I'm not bashing Ross here. The point is simply this -- going to an offshore school is a risk. You might fail out / not get a residency. If you do, it's much more likely that it will be in FM, IM, or Peds, and much more likely to be at a smaller community hospital. These statistics are likely to get worse over time, but no one knows what really will happen (another volcanic eruption could flatten SGU, for example). Some people beat the odds and end up with Rads, ENT, GS, and other competitive fields -- and that's great, but they are the exceptions. Should someone decide to go to Ross, perhaps they will be the exception also. But, statistically it's unlikely. However, it's all up to you and your performance at Ross.

The fallacy is that if you pass all of your courses and pass the USMLE, that you can do whatever you want. In fact, simply passing your USMLE's may get you no residency at all.

My bad. I looked under "surgery", but it appears the categorical matches are listed as "General Surgery". The prelim surgery / PGY-1 only matches appear to be labeled "Surgery"

Assuming that residency spots remain unchanged, it will be a slow process over the next 4 years.

An interesting thing about this list is that there are about 650 names on it. Ross seems to take ~400 students per semester, of which there are 3, so we assume they start with ~1200 students per year.

So, if you go to Ross, it looks like you have about a 50% chance of actually making it to the point of applying for a residency. If you do make it that far, you then have a 19/650 = 3% chance at Gen Surgery.

I'm not bashing Ross here. The point is simply this -- going to an offshore school is a risk. You might fail out / not get a residency. If you do, it's much more likely that it will be in FM, IM, or Peds, and much more likely to be at a smaller community hospital. These statistics are likely to get worse over time, but no one knows what really will happen (another volcanic eruption could flatten SGU, for example). Some people beat the odds and end up with Rads, ENT, GS, and other competitive fields -- and that's great, but they are the exceptions. Should someone decide to go to Ross, perhaps they will be the exception also. But, statistically it's unlikely. However, it's all up to you and your performance at Ross.

The fallacy is that if you pass all of your courses and pass the USMLE, that you can do whatever you want. In fact, simply passing your USMLE's may get you no residency at all.

i especially agree with your last paragraph... but i think some of the numbers you used earlier are off...

my understanding is that while they (ross) do take in about 400 students 3 times per year, you're only going to have 2 of those 3 classes graduating (and thus applying for the match) each year... maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that's the way it works out. maybe a ross student will clarify.

if that's the case then that makes about 800 potential graduates with about 650 names on that list... so 800/650 ~80%... i'm also guessing that there is a significant attrition rate which would bring that 800 number down but that there are people who failed classes and have been set back a semester... maybe they equal each other out... still, 80% seems a lot better than 50%.

and i don't think it's very accurate to use 19/650 to calculate one's chances at general surgery from ross... we have no idea how many applied... certainly it wasn't all 650...

it's a risk to go to the ross, auc or sgu. and it's an even bigger risk to go to any of the lesser caribbean schools... there's no doubt about it... but from my point of view (after reading about all the trouble these students will face in the match) the 2010 match results for these three schools was no where near as sorry as i expected.

anyhow, for what it's worth, that's my pov

oh, and yea, i agree about the future... if the spots remain unchanged then it could play out slowly... but we just don't really know.

my understanding is that while they (ross) do take in about 400 students 3 times per year, you're only going to have 2 of those 3 classes graduating (and thus applying for the match) each year... maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that's the way it works out. maybe a ross student will clarify.

This would be true the first year -- the last class accepted would miss the match deadline and be pushed to the next year. But then the next year you'd have the last semester from the previous year and the first two semesters from the next matching. In the end, if they accept 400 students three times per year, 1200 students start each year, means that 1200 students per year would need to match sometime in the future (assuming a 100% graduation rate)

This would be true the first year -- the last class accepted would miss the match deadline and be pushed to the next year. But then the next year you'd have the last semester from the previous year and the first two semesters from the next matching. In the end, if they accept 400 students three times per year, 1200 students start each year, means that 1200 students per year would need to match sometime in the future (assuming a 100% graduation rate)

yea... i see that... you're right.

i noted there's "washington hospital center" internal medicine residency from WA in the Ross match list. I'm from WA state, there is no washington hospital center internal medicine residency here. there are only three internal medicine residencies in WA state: spokane (sacred heart hospital) residency, virginia mason in seattle, and university of washington IM. ?????

^^^ I think the Carib schools self report, hence the error.

Mostly community programs on the list. Few university programs. But hey, if you went way out to the Carib to get a shot at an MD, probably doesn't matter to you much. You succeeded. :)

Last edited: