Quantcast

Ross Financial Aid

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
We just got an email saying that our financial aid would be significantly reduced next term. Tuition goes up and our aid goes down. No reason other than they have decided to not consider dependents when awarding aid. I have been fair in my evaluation of what being a Ross student is like but this does it....our future is severly jepoardized. We will get about $1900 month....our rent is $995 for a small 3 bedroom apt., car payment for our 1 car is $360...yes, that money is going to go far. I hope this gets resolved, but seriously how awful to give people with families hope that they can make it and then pull away the $$ 3rd year. Our loans are already at awfully high percentages...we don't get the deals U.S. students get.

Ok, I'm done...just anyone on this forum...do your research and ask a million questions.
 

GaidenX

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi there, I am applying to Ross University, and I came acorss your post. I don't have any dependants yet, but I was wondering if the reduction of finanacial aid affecting everyone or just people with dependents. I am trying to find all the financial aid I need because I know it's going to be expensive to go down there.







Mom2five said:
We just got an email saying that our financial aid would be significantly reduced next term. Tuition goes up and our aid goes down. No reason other than they have decided to not consider dependents when awarding aid. I have been fair in my evaluation of what being a Ross student is like but this does it....our future is severly jepoardized. We will get about $1900 month....our rent is $995 for a small 3 bedroom apt., car payment for our 1 car is $360...yes, that money is going to go far. I hope this gets resolved, but seriously how awful to give people with families hope that they can make it and then pull away the $$ 3rd year. Our loans are already at awfully high percentages...we don't get the deals U.S. students get.

Ok, I'm done...just anyone on this forum...do your research and ask a million questions.
 

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
GaidenX said:
Hi there, I am applying to Ross University, and I came acorss your post. I don't have any dependants yet, but I was wondering if the reduction of finanacial aid affecting everyone or just people with dependents. I am trying to find all the financial aid I need because I know it's going to be expensive to go down there.

I'm not sure...I think they are just cutting out the extra $$ that he got for dependents. AND that $$ wasn't even enough to start with...we still came up short...example had to max out credit cards. We have one car, we are NOT living a lush life. Three of my kids are on free meals at school...I hate not being able to make ends meet. I cried for hours last night.

You will be on your own during the clinical years. My husband is considering sending me and the kids back across the country to live with family and him just renting a room here....BUT we are all miserable without each other. The last time we were apart for 1 month and the kids cried every night...not fun. My husband has a good clinical site...that's the only good thing...but just know that he is one of the very few. We pay Ross over 14,000 a semester...and what for??? Just to have their name on my husband's stupid diploma??? Oh yes we are so proud. I have always supported Ross, not with a "school pride" mentality, but with a "they can give you a chance when no one else will". Well, no more...is this really going to be worth it. I mean all the stress, the years it takes, the $250,000 debt??? Living out of a VW bus and surfing all day is looking like a much better life. I am sorry to rain on your parade but obviously I feel very betrayed. If we do make it to the end it will NOT be because of Ross...it will be due to our own hard work and some good idea we can come up with for $$$.

I would like to work but we live in a town with no family. I don't have a degree so any job I would get would barely pay for daycare and nice work clothes. I've never felt so hopeless...I have always remained positive. I feel guilty feeling so sorry for myself. I know millions of people have a worse life than me. I just don't see how this is going to work and I want to stay with my husband....he's my best friend and I like to just be near him. I'm sorry to ramble...the tears won't stop.
 

JO300

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
why you donot try to get a loan from any bank?
 

Quash

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
JO300 said:
why you donot try to get a loan from any bank?


Banks have INSANE ass interest rates. Im feelin you Moms, these days its seems like only the rich have the opportunity to go through school without burden. Hopefully you can appeal, or maybe your husband might know a few doctors in the states who are willing to sponsor him
 

bulletproof

some dude...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
429
Reaction score
1
Quash said:
Banks have INSANE ass interest rates. Im feelin you Moms, these days its seems like only the rich have the opportunity to go through school without burden. Hopefully you can appeal, or maybe your husband might know a few doctors in the states who are willing to sponsor him
..not being able to put food on the table and keeping a family together in the here and now are another. I am currently studying for the step, and I had to take out a loan just to survive in the interim before clinicals start. Miami drained me of all finances. My point is get loans somehow....somewhere. Yes ...they will accrue interest, but if I recall correctly your husband got an awesome step I score ( ~260). He should be able to land a good residency that will lead to a good money-making career. If you are already going to pay $200,000 for loans ....go the extra mile and get another $20,000 or $30,000. Realistically what are your other options? All loans are going to accrue interest. That is a terrible reason to live in poverty or as good as. Get on the phone and trouble shoot this. Where there is a will there is a way...........ALWAYS.I am not suggesting this is going to be easy. But from a lenders point of view a Doctor is about as "sure thing" as it gets.Get a family member to cosign if credit is an issue. I truly do sympathise with your situation. Good luck to you.
 

nabeya

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
215
Reaction score
15
Consider getting a personal line of credit loan based on signature only and no collateral, which can save you alot of money if you're maxing out your credit cards and only able to pay the minimum without making a dent in the balance. You'll just have to find somebody to cosign for you and you can easily get at least 15k-20k within a few days wired to your account which you can use for whatever you want. Of course you'll have to pay it back and it'll be a 250-300 dollars a month but maybe it will be enough to last you until your husband starts residency.



bulletproof said:
..not being able to put food on the table and keeping a family together in the here and now are another. I am currently studying for the step, and I had to take out a loan just to survive in the interim before clinicals start. Miami drained me of all finances. My point is get loans somehow....somewhere. Yes ...they will accrue interest, but if I recall correctly your husband got an awesome step I score ( ~260). He should be able to land a good residency that will lead to a good money-making career. If you are already going to pay $200,000 for loans ....go the extra mile and get another $20,000 or $30,000. Realistically what are your other options? All loans are going to accrue interest. That is a terrible reason to live in poverty or as good as. Get on the phone and trouble shoot this. Where there is a will there is a way...........ALWAYS.I am not suggesting this is going to be easy. But from a lenders point of view a Doctor is about as "sure thing" as it gets.Get a family member to cosign if credit is an issue. I truly do sympathise with your situation. Good luck to you.
 

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
bulletproof said:
..not being able to put food on the table and keeping a family together in the here and now are another. I am currently studying for the step, and I had to take out a loan just to survive in the interim before clinicals start. Miami drained me of all finances. My point is get loans somehow....somewhere. Yes ...they will accrue interest, but if I recall correctly your husband got an awesome step I score ( ~260). He should be able to land a good residency that will lead to a good money-making career. If you are already going to pay $200,000 for loans ....go the extra mile and get another $20,000 or $30,000. Realistically what are your other options? All loans are going to accrue interest. That is a terrible reason to live in poverty or as good as. Get on the phone and trouble shoot this. Where there is a will there is a way...........ALWAYS.I am not suggesting this is going to be easy. But from a lenders point of view a Doctor is about as "sure thing" as it gets.Get a family member to cosign if credit is an issue. I truly do sympathise with your situation. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice...I had just thought about seeing if his sibling would co-sign on a bank loan or something. Our credit is fine but I don't know how all the debt would look etc. I just think it is so horrible of Ross. Did your loan amounts go down for next term? You are studying for Step so you probably don't know yet. I talked with Ross and it was like "oh it's just a little bit less $$$". How would she feel to have her paycheck decrease with NO warning??? Not usually the way things go. I told her that they should have some suggestions for students that won't be able to have ends meet. I just really felt the "business" side of Ross...totally sucks. Thanks for the support. We were very down but after a nice weekend with friends and the kids we are feeling a little more positive.

Good luck to you with Step...I really mean that.
 

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
nabeya said:
Consider getting a personal line of credit loan based on signature only and no collateral, which can save you alot of money if you're maxing out your credit cards and only able to pay the minimum without making a dent in the balance. You'll just have to find somebody to cosign for you and you can easily get at least 15k-20k within a few days wired to your account which you can use for whatever you want. Of course you'll have to pay it back and it'll be a 250-300 dollars a month but maybe it will be enough to last you until your husband starts residency.

Thank you so much...I will check into this option. We need some cushion. I am not wanting to live an extravagant life but I'm getting really worn-down just trying to provide basics for us. All this stress...just seems like things are going so wrong...like I said though, my faith is rising and we will make it but not with any help from Ross.
 

bulletproof

some dude...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
429
Reaction score
1
Mom2five said:
Thanks for the advice...I had just thought about seeing if his sibling would co-sign on a bank loan or something. Our credit is fine but I don't know how all the debt would look etc. I just think it is so horrible of Ross. Did your loan amounts go down for next term? You are studying for Step so you probably don't know yet. I talked with Ross and it was like "oh it's just a little bit less $$$". How would she feel to have her paycheck decrease with NO warning??? Not usually the way things go. I told her that they should have some suggestions for students that won't be able to have ends meet. I just really felt the "business" side of Ross...totally sucks. Thanks for the support. We were very down but after a nice weekend with friends and the kids we are feeling a little more positive.

Good luck to you with Step...I really mean that.
Thanks...I'll need it. Glad to hear the outlook is better. I agree....the bureaucracy/ buisness side of Ross is very frustrating ( I went through 3rd semester only to get my loan after 3 months- NJ office F**k up..go figure) The "its only a little bit less" comment was priceless. Pure classic. :laugh: One day all of this madness will pay off. I need to believe that. Take care.
 

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
bulletproof said:
Thanks...I'll need it. Glad to hear the outlook is better. I agree....the bureaucracy/ buisness side of Ross is very frustrating ( I went through 3rd semester only to get my loan after 3 months- NJ office F**k up..go figure) The "its only a little bit less" comment was priceless. Pure classic. :laugh: One day all of this madness will pay off. I need to believe that. Take care.

In Miami they sent our financial aid check to Dominica. We put 2 months rent on CC...super fun! Guess how we finally got our $? After months of "it'll be here next week" I took all 5 kids down to the Miami office and let the kids run wild in the waiting room, refusing to leave until I had a check. They told me they didn't have it. "I'll wait!" I said. Amazingly, they "found" our money and I left the office with an $11,000 check. I think the kids and I are due for a roadtrip to NJ. :laugh:
 

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2002
Messages
3,915
Reaction score
22
Mom2five said:
In Miami they sent our financial aid check to Dominica. We put 2 months rent on CC...super fun! Guess how we finally got our $? After months of "it'll be here next week" I took all 5 kids down to the Miami office and let the kids run wild in the waiting room, refusing to leave until I had a check. They told me they didn't have it. "I'll wait!" I said. Amazingly, they "found" our money and I left the office with an $11,000 check. I think the kids and I are due for a roadtrip to NJ. :laugh:

:laugh: That is priceless!! :thumbup:
 

VietMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I really admired your family. Please keep up and god bless you. I hope you'll get over soon.
Mom2five said:
In Miami they sent our financial aid check to Dominica. We put 2 months rent on CC...super fun! Guess how we finally got our $? After months of "it'll be here next week" I took all 5 kids down to the Miami office and let the kids run wild in the waiting room, refusing to leave until I had a check. They told me they didn't have it. "I'll wait!" I said. Amazingly, they "found" our money and I left the office with an $11,000 check. I think the kids and I are due for a roadtrip to NJ. :laugh:
 

Mom2five

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Thank you....that is very kind. It's hard having 5 children period and then throw in all the stress of medical school BUT we shall endure. It wouldn't work if we weren't all in agreement about helping Dad become a Doctor. The kids are really super about understanding his time constraints. I am trying to just be a supportive, loving wife and mother.
 

lilzelda

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
I have a question can u like work and stuff part time to earn some extra cash or does med school take up too much time, b/c I don't want to depend on my parents for money when I'm 21. Also is it like 8hrs a day that ur in class or is it like college?
 

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2002
Messages
3,915
Reaction score
22
lilzelda said:
I have a question can u like work and stuff part time to earn some extra cash or does med school take up too much time, b/c I don't want to depend on my parents for money when I'm 21. Also is it like 8hrs a day that ur in class or is it like college?

You have no idea what medical school is about, do you? :laugh:
 

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2002
Messages
3,915
Reaction score
22
lilzelda said:
:oops: no thats y i asked

As you probably guess from my response, there is no way you can do anything but study as a medical student unless you have a photographic memory and the mental ability to pick-up and correlate concepts instantly.
 
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top