Ross Medical School Accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samznarula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should prospective applicants be worried about accreditation status given the current situation for Ross??

I know they are currently doing classes in Knoxville while the island is recovering.

As someone currently looking to go there, if anyone has some insight or has spoken to them I'd greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should prospective applicants be worried about accreditation status given the current situation for Ross??

Yes, you should be concerned. Whats even more concerning is the fact that they aren't even talking about it or mentioning it at all during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's the best source to discuss this and/or ask these questions to in your opinion?
Yes, you should be concerned. Whats even more concerning is the fact that they aren't even talking about it or mentioning it at all during interviews.

Theres a rep on my campus this week (Tuesday). I'll ask and keep everyone updated

So I spoke to the senior admissions counselor this morning and casually slipped in the question. According to him, the plan for Ross is to be back in Dominica by January. I asked for some more clarity but he said that was the plan as of yet. I'd probably like to ask another person.

Who's the best source to discuss this and/or ask these questions to in your opinion?

You can and should ask the admissions people about this. Whether or not they answer or answer truthfully is another story. They've all been coached to say January at this point, but just a few months ago it was May 2018 and then it was September 2018...

To be fair, none of the low level admissions people at Ross know much about anything. They all just go by the scripts they are given, however, there is a difference between painting a rosy picture during recruitment and lies by omission.

When I interviewed at Ross last year the interviewer told me that she doubted the school would be back in Dominica by May or September. I don’t think you guys understand the actual damage that was done to the campus and the island. You can’t rebuild housing and amenities for 1400+ students in just a few months, especially since it takes time for supplies to ship in, and more time to actually find workers to build everything.

I spoke to my doctor who actually attended a caribbean school (not Ross). He told me that when his school had to relocate due to a storm everything was fine but once they went back to the island it was a lot harder. He also said that things wont be the same anymore and it will take the school a long time to adjust back on the island after it being destroyed. So most likely Ross wont have a lot of resources on the island.

I spoke to my doctor who actually attended a caribbean school (not Ross). He told me that when his school had to relocate due to a storm everything was fine but once they went back to the island it was a lot harder. He also said that things wont be the same anymore and it will take the school a long time to adjust back on the island after it being destroyed. So most likely Ross wont have a lot of resources on the island.
I can believe that

Members don't see this ad :)
I can believe that

That's what I'm assuming will happen at this point. Possibly they extend an extra semester in Tennessee. Long term I assume they'll be back in Dominica 2019.

Hi, im a ross ms2, we recently received both US/Dominica medical board approval/accreditation or whatever. The US accreditation is temporary i guess and valid through december 2019, however our lease on our facilities here is up come december 2018.

No idea what the game plan is, concerning where were going after.

But happy to answer whatever I can.

Hi, im a ross ms2, we recently received both US/Dominica medical board approval/accreditation or whatever. The US accreditation is temporary i guess and valid through december 2019, however our lease on our facilities here is up come december 2018.

No idea what the game plan is, concerning where were going after.

But happy to answer whatever I can.

Interesting, sounds like they may do Knoxville for another year then huh?

They've been vague when ive asked. They have said they expect Dominica in January.. but I'm not sure if the island (outside of campus) is fully restored yet.

Dominica News Online

What's interesting is that, for those who timed it right, some future graduates will get a foreign medical degree having never left the U.S.

-Skip

What's interesting is that, for those who timed it right, some future graduates will get a foreign medical degree having never left the U.S.

-Skip

Correct, for those students who started 2 weeks prior to the hurricane and are in the X program (4 - 4 month semesters) will complete basic sciences here in Tennessee.

Aside from the **** show on the boat.

All it will take is another rough hurricane season to nail that shut.

Ya thats the big question. Can Ross and Dominica rebuild in a timely enough manner, and will mother nature cooperate.

But as its been explained to me, Maria was a once in a millennia hurricane. We'll have to wait and see.

Correct, for those students who started 2 weeks prior to the hurricane and are in the X program (4 - 4 month semesters) will complete basic sciences here in Tennessee.

Aside from the **** show on the boat.

there are very very few people who did this though. most of the students who went to the boat were term 5. less than 20% of the term 1 students who started in fall 2017 went to the boat. a lot of them just dropped out, a lot transferred and a most waited until they could go to Tennessee. So if Ross does end up back on the island in Jan 2019, they will likely have to go down for their last term.

there are very very few people who did this though. most of the students who went to the boat were term 5. less than 20% of the term 1 students who started in fall 2017 went to the boat. a lot of them just dropped out, a lot transferred and a most waited until they could go to Tennessee. So if Ross does end up back on the island in Jan 2019, they will likely have to go down for their last term.

Where are you getting your info? Because I know for a fact that this is not true.

The 20%

Idk if you’re a ross student or not, but I was on the boat, and there were PLENTY of 1-4 semester students. The majority actually were 1/2. I hardly knew any 5s, unless they lived off the boat.

Where are you getting your info?

@Caribpro is the Donald Trump of this sub-forum. He posts a lot of partial facts and half-truths. He never admits he is wrong. He makes-up a lot of stuff. And, when you challenge or disagree him, he starts to hurl insults.

Caveat emptor.

-Skip

they did. there wasn't enough space for them to stay on the boat.

There was but just the living conditions weren't optimal for some people to function on a daily basis, which is reasonable given that everyone is different. Not to say they were wrong to live off the boat, it's just that medical school is a stressful environment and being placed on a crowded car ferry doesn't help that fact.